Manatee RB Blakely to join Bulls?

Atlanta Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Tampa Plant running back James Wilder Jr. is supposed to announce his college choice Wednesday, which should make things clearer for Manatee High’s Mike Blakely.

Blakely recently put Florida at the top of his list, but it came with an asterisk saying he wanted a school that was going to give him a lot of carries.

The Gators running back corps already looks like Grand Central Station at rush hour, and with Wilder reportedly leaning toward Gainesville, Blakely might want to look in another direction.

Ironically, the best place for the 5-11, 190-pound back could be right in his own backyard at USF.

Granted, the Bulls don’t have the glamour of a Florida or Florida State, but this team is clamoring for a high-caliber running back. With the recent losses of Mike Ford and Jamar Taylor, everyone else remaining falls into the “serviceable†category, and there is nothing to speak of on the horizon.

New USF head coach Skip Holtz coached Chris Johnson at non-BCS East Carolina, and he went over 2,000 yards rushing for the Tennessee Titans last year to lead the NFL in only his second year in the league.

Listed at 5-11 and 191 pounds, Johnson is one pound off from being the exact same size as Blakely, which adds to the intrigue.

Read more: http://www.bradenton.com/2010/08/15/2506370/qb-leaves-bradenton-prep-for-charlotte.html#ixzz0wit2QtpO

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Tampa Plant running back James Wilder Jr. is supposed to announce his college choice Wednesday, which should make things clearer for Manatee High’s Mike Blakely.

Blakely recently put Florida at the top of his list, but it came with an asterisk saying he wanted a school that was going to give him a lot of carries.

The Gators running back corps already looks like Grand Central Station at rush hour, and with Wilder reportedly leaning toward Gainesville, Blakely might want to look in another direction.

Ironically, the best place for the 5-11, 190-pound back could be right in his own backyard at USF.

Granted, the Bulls don’t have the glamour of a Florida or Florida State, but this team is clamoring for a high-caliber running back. With the recent losses of Mike Ford and Jamar Taylor, everyone else remaining falls into the “serviceable†category, and there is nothing to speak of on the horizon.

New USF head coach Skip Holtz coached Chris Johnson at non-BCS East Carolina, and he went over 2,000 yards rushing for the Tennessee Titans last year to lead the NFL in only his second year in the league.

Listed at 5-11 and 191 pounds, Johnson is one pound off from being the exact same size as Blakely, which adds to the intrigue.

Read more: http://www.bradenton.com/2010/08/15/2506370/qb-leaves-bradenton-prep-for-charlotte.html#ixzz0wit2QtpO

Guy doesn't know much about USF huh? Scott and Aycock. I would gladly welcome Blakely though!

• Content Count:  4,879

Dell knows USF quite well and the sarasota/manatee area as well as anybody.  i think his reference was to freshmen on the horizonas scott and aycock both come in with less than full availability and some baggage.

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Dell was the beat writer for the usf rivals site last year........if anything, i think he is trying to encourage Blakely to give us another look

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Dell was the beat writer for the usf rivals site last year........if anything, i think he is trying to encourage Blakely to give us another look

Seems that way.

BTW, that article was already posted in the Blakely thread on the prospects board and there was a previous article by Dell in there as well.

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=72377.0

• Content Count:  5,241

I'd love to see blakely here. but Im very skeptical after the whole brian carnes drama and how the manatee coach felt about it.

• Content Count:  4,879

coach Kinnan has seen the light enough that he has had a talk with his team that a committment to a college means you're engaged and the dating stops right then

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

I'd love to see blakely here. but Im very skeptical after the whole brian carnes drama and how the manatee coach felt about it.

Communication gap during a crazy busy period of time.  USF may eventually be unwelcome on that campus, but I can't imagine Manatee will hold a grudge against a coaching staff that had only been on the job a couple of weeks.  Surely the long term relationship will not be judged on the basis of one wishy washy commitment.

• Content Count:  809

There's no validity to that article because of this line:

"The Gators running back corps already looks like Grand Central Station at rush hour, and with Wilder reportedly leaning toward Gainesville, Blakely might want to look in another direction."

Ughhhhh.....does this reporter follow college recruiting? UF is recruiting Wilder as a LB and not a RB.

FSU is in the lead for Wilder as a RB followed by UGA.

At Blakely's size, he's suitable for the "running back" position at UF, unlike Wilder. However, I'd rather see Blakely in green & gold.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Blakey is not coming to USF.  It has nothing to do with the Brion Carnes affair.  He doesn't think USF is big time enough.  A good season might help change the perspective, but the chances of that aren't too great this year.

Archived