• Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Isaac Virgin turning heads at USF training camp

By Laurel Pfahler

TCPalm

Posted August 12, 2010 at 1:22 a.m

20100811-203812-pic-89805780_t607.jpg

Photo by Alex Boerner

University of South Florida freshman Reshard Cliett, right stretches the jersey of redshirt freshman Isaac Virgin as he tries to make a tackle during the Bulls’ practice at the Vero Beach Sports Village Monday.

VERO BEACH — Isaac Virgin cuts across the middle and makes an effortless catch that gives you the impression he has been doing this all his life.

A University of South Florida redshirt freshman and former Fort Pierce Westwood High School quarterback, Virgin said he is still trying to establish his role with the team and is working out at wide receiver — the roster position he is currently listed at.

“I feel like I’m a natural-born athlete, so with work I’m sure I can do anything the team puts me at,†Virgin said after a practice at Vero Beach Sports Village, where USF is training through Aug. 19. “If I put the work into it, everything will come out for the better. I’m basically just trying to get better as an all-around player and keep working hard.â€

Up until college, Virgin (6-foot-4, 249 pounds) always played tight end and quarterback. His cannon-like right arm made him one of the top quarterbacks on the Treasure Coast his senior year with Westwood in 2008 when he threw for more than 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns. His size, however, seems ideal for a college tight end.

After redshirting last year as a freshman, Virgin — who had signed with USF hoping to compete at quarterback — worked out at fullback this spring and now has added even more versatility as a wide receiver.

“(The spring) was just feeling my way to see where I could best help the team,†said Virgin, who has enjoyed seeing his family at practices while USF trains just 15 minutes from his home. “Therefore, I had a couple options for positions I could play. They were just letting me move around and feel my way, and now they’ve got me in a spot where I can most likely help the team. We’re team first, so whatever will help the team, I’m all for it.â€

Sophomore quarterback B.J. Daniels said he likes having Virgin as a target to pass to and the two players have enjoyed playing together.

“Isaac has done a great job,†Daniels said. “He’s a big body, he’s got great hands. He will definitely make that tough catch over the middle, and he’s a real big target, so it will be a big deal if I miss him.

“Right now I’m just trying to get it in his vicinity because he is a great player.â€

Virgin said he is more confident after sitting out last season and taking the year to better adjust to the college game. Several players took him under their wing, teaching him the ins and outs of college ball and showing him areas he needed to improve, and Virgin said now he knows more of what to expect.

“I was just basically trying to adjust to the speed of the game,†Virgin said. “It’s different from high school. There’s a lot more to learn, so redshirting my freshman year gave me a chance to prepare more for this year. It helped me out a lot having that year to learn.â€

Though Virgin was recruited by a coach no longer on staff — Jim Leavitt was fired in January — he isn’t worried about getting lost in the shuffle with first-year coach Skip Holtz. Virgin continues to focus on bettering himself and in the process, he hopes to contribute to the Bulls this season.

“Whatever works, you can’t sit back and worry about that,†Virgin said. “We have business to take care of, so we are just focused on winning the Big East. For the most part, it’s going pretty good. We have a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of effort, so everything should come out for the better.â€

THE ISAAC VIRGIN FILE

Team: University of South Florida

Position: Wide receiver/athlete

Year: Redshirt freshman

High school team: Fort Pierce Westwood

2009 stats: Did not play

Career highlights: Virgin threw for 1,641 yards and 15 touchdowns with just four interceptions as a senior at Westwood in 2008.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I wonder if will drop some of that weight. 6'4 230-235 would be ideal weight.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  3

Why not just put him at TE? We know Holtz lkes to pass to his TE's and we know nobody has really separated themselves at the position that is lined up there. Seems like the ideal place for him.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Why not just put him at TE? We know Holtz lkes to pass to his TE's and we know nobody has really separated themselves at the position that is lined up there. Seems like the ideal place for him.

Because we are need of receivers.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

There was an article about that not too long ago. The OC says that LONG term Virgin will be a TE. This year he will play WR, because we have ECU transfer Gidrey at TE and we are short on WR's at the moment. This way they can get both Gidrey and Virgin more on the field at the same time.

There was a thread on here about a month ago asking who will be the unheralded player to impress on both offense and defense. I picked Virgin on offense. He could be a difference maker this year.

I found that article:

With a lack of depth at receiver, the Bulls have moved former quarterback and tight end Isaac Virgin -- a big target at 6-foot-4, 249 pounds -- to receiver.

"(Tight end) is his natural position down the road, but ... we want to put bodies in the right spot," Fitch said. "We have (ECU transfer Kevin) Gidrey in the fold for this year, so how can we help (Virgin) get on the field to help us the fastest? We thought that was the best way."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/bulls-first-week-practice-all-about-learning

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  3

Because we are need of receivers.

Sure, and if Gidrey goes down we're in need of TE's. Nobody seems to have a vote of confidence from the coaches at TE.

Just don't think it's worth it to move him around so much. If Holtz didn't pass to his TE's I could understand, but it's not like Virgin will be lining up on the outside anyway, so he'd probably have TE type routes anyway.

• Content Count:  66,206
  • Days Won:  172

tight ends need to block

Archived