• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Selvie doing well

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

Rookie pass rusher is on the attack for Rams

Selvie filling in for injured Hall

BY STEVE KORTE

News-Democrat

In the hope of adding some spark to their pass rush, the St. Louis Rams took three defensive ends on the third day of the 2010 NFL draft.

One of those defensive ends, George Selvie, would have registered two sacks during the Rams' intrasquad scrimmage if quarterbacks hadn't been declared off limits to defenders.

And, one of those sacks, with Keith Null at quarterback, would have resulted in a safety.

"He is a long guy who has really good get-off,'' Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said of the 6-foot-4, 257-pound Selvie. "On those plays he had the other night, it was all getting off the ball. He obviously has been taught well. That's the first thing for a defensive end: Get a good jump off the ball. He has that.''

Selvie was filling in for injured right end James Hall with the starting defense during the scrimmage.

"I feel like I had a good scrimmage, but I could have done more stuff,'' Selvie said. "I could have played the run a little bit better. Overall, I went out there and had a decent scrimmage even though I can improve on a lot of things.''

Selvie is competing for playing time with fellow rookies Hall Davis, a fifth-round pick out of Louisana-Lafayette, and Eugene Sims, a sixth-round pick out of West Texas A&M.

"You see flashes,'' Spagnuolo said of the rookie defensive ends. "All three of them show flashes of good stuff in the pass rush. They have a long way to go, all three of them, in the run game, playing what we call a 'six-technique' on a tight end. They're all struggling with that.''

Selvie admitted that he needs work as a run stopper.

"I have to get better,'' Selvie said. "I have to be more stout in the run. I'm just trying to get out there attack, attack the offensive line before they attack me. That's how I am going about it.''

The Rams really could use what Selvie does best, and that's rush the passer.

The Rams had 29 sacks last season, ranking them 30th in the NFL.

Selvie holds most of the records for sacks and tackles for a loss at South Florida. He had 29 sacks, 69.5 tackles for a loss -- 5 1/2 shy of the NCAA record -- and 32 quarterback pressure during his college career.

Selvie describes his pass-rushing style as versatile, but he'd rather defeat opposing blockers with his quickness than trying to bull rush his way past them.

"If I need to bull, I'll bull,'' Selvie said. "But, I don't want you to touch me. On the defensive line, you have to use hand moves. You want to keep their hands off of you. I'm a small guy, so I'm trying not to let too many hands on me.''

Taken in the seventh-round with the 226th overall pick, Selvie was last of the three defensive ends selected by the Rams. He was the 21st defensive end to go off the board.

Selvie said he doesn't has a chip on his shoulder over so many other defensive ends being drafted ahead of him.

"People say I should, but I'm just going out there and playing,'' Selvie said. "I'm glad to be here, I'm glad to be a Ram. I'm having fun out there just doing my thing.''

Contact reporter Steve Korte at skorte@bnd.com or 239-2522.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Thanks for sharing...good read.  Hope he does well out there.

• Content Count:  763

http://www.bnd.com/2010/08/10/1358800/rookie-pass-rusher-is-on-the-attack.html

ST. LOUIS -- In the hope of adding some spark to their pass rush, the St. Louis Rams took three defensive ends on the third day of the 2010 NFL draft.

One of those defensive ends, George Selvie, would have registered two sacks during the Rams' intrasquad scrimmage if quarterbacks hadn't been declared off limits to defenders.

And, one of those sacks, with Keith Null at quarterback, would have resulted in a safety.

"He is a long guy who has really good get-off,'' Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said of the 6-foot-4, 257-pound Selvie. "On those plays he had the other night, it was all getting off the ball. He obviously has been taught well. That's the first thing for a defensive end: Get a good jump off the ball. He has that.''

Selvie was filling in for injured right end James Hall with the starting defense during the scrimmage.

"I feel like I had a good scrimmage, but I could have done more stuff,'' Selvie said. "I could have played the run a little bit better. Overall, I went out there and had a decent scrimmage even though I can improve on a lot of things.''

Selvie is competing for playing time with fellow rookies Hall Davis, a fifth-round pick out of Louisana-Lafayette, and Eugene Sims, a sixth-round pick out of West Texas A&M.

"You see flashes,'' Spagnuolo said of the rookie defensive ends. "All three of them show flashes of good stuff in the pass rush. They have a long way to go, all three of them, in the run game, playing what we call a 'six-technique' on a tight end. They're all struggling with that.''

Selvie admitted that he needs work as a run stopper.

"I have to get better,'' Selvie said. "I have to be more stout in the run. I'm just trying to get out there attack, attack the offensive line before they attack me. That's how I am going about it.''

The Rams really could use what Selvie does best, and that's rush the passer.

The Rams had 29 sacks last season, ranking them 30th in the NFL.

Selvie holds most of the records for sacks and tackles for a loss at South Florida. He had 29 sacks, 69.5 tackles for a loss -- 5 1/2 shy of the NCAA record -- and 32 quarterback pressure during his college career.

Selvie describes his pass-rushing style as versatile, but he'd rather defeat opposing blockers with his quickness than trying to bull rush his way past them.

"If I need to bull, I'll bull,'' Selvie said. "But, I don't want you to touch me. On the defensive line, you have to use hand moves. You want to keep their hands off of you. I'm a small guy, so I'm trying not to let too many hands on me.''

Taken in the seventh-round with the 226th overall pick, Selvie was last of the three defensive ends selected by the Rams. He was the 21st defensive end to go off the board.

Selvie said he doesn't has a chip on his shoulder over so many other defensive ends being drafted ahead of him.

"People say I should, but I'm just going out there and playing,'' Selvie said. "I'm glad to be here, I'm glad to be a Ram. I'm having fun out there just doing my thing.''

• Content Count:  30

"He is a long guy who has really good get-off,'' well that's a bit dirty.. >:D

glad to see this kind of press

• Content Count:  1,985

Glad to see this press on Selvie.  Funny he mentions defending the run, that has always been his downside.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,397
  • Days Won:  10

Good for George!  He was is a great Bull.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Hopefully they put him in in spots he can succeed like 3rd and long specifically to rush the passer.

Archived