Question No. 8 for USF Bulls: Who is going to lead team in rushing?

Mama_Bull

Who is going to lead team in rushing?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Question No. 8 for USF Bulls: Who is going to lead team in rushing?

Posted By Scott Carter

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

The running game is one of Skip Holtz’s top concerns as he prepares for the start of his first fall camp as USF’s head coach.

Since the day he took over, Holtz has said numerous times that he doesn’t want sophomore quarterback B.J. Daniels leading the team in rushing again like he did last season (772 yards, nine TDs). Plus, with Daniels coming off offseason shoulder surgery on his non-throwing shoulder (a later question we’ll address on the blog), the Bulls can’t afford having Daniels taking any extra punishment.

To serve as an official countdown to the start of football season here in our little corner of the blogosphere, I’m throwing out the 10 most important questions the Bulls face heading into the season.

USF opens practice Aug. 6. You can check out the blog each day for the latest question. After I give my take, I’d like to hear what your take is on the question of the day.

With that said, let’s take a look today at Question No. 8: Who is going to lead the Bulls in rushing in 2010?

Sixth-year senior Mo Plancher is the most likely candidate. Plancher was second on the team in rushing last season with 581 yards, but he also battled injuries and a lack of production late in the season.

Plancher is a good between-the-tackles runner but doesn’t have the kind of breakaway speed that Lindsey Lamar has or the power of former Bulls RB Mike Ford, who rushed for a career-high 207 yards in USF’s International Bowl win but was booted from the team in the spring for violating university policy for student-athletes.

So, with Lamar now at receiver and Ford gone, Plancher enters camp as the No. 1 tailback.

However, Demetris Murray opened a few eyes in spring practice and should get plenty of carries to state his case.

Here’s my best-case scenario: Transfer Michael Hayes arrives from Blinn (Texas) Junior College and runs away with the job. At 5-foot-9 and 192 pounds, Hayes is about the same size as Plancher (5-9, 204), but according to scouting reports, he has better speed.

At Blinn last season, playing in an offense led by former Florida QB Cameron Newton, who is now at Auburn, Hayes rushed for 1,269 yards and 17 TDs. He also had 329 receiving yards.

The other RBs in the mix: freshman Marcus Shaw and returnees Bradley Battles and Joel Miller.

My prediction: Daniels will be in the hunt for the team rushing title for the second consecutive year. He’s simply too good of an athlete not to gain significant chunks of yards scrambling from the pocket. But he must be smart in taking off, which is what Holtz and QBs coach Peter Vaas have emphasized to Daniels.

What’s your take?

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/question-no.-8-for-usf-bulls-who-is-going-to-lead-team-in-rushing/

I'm surprised that so few people voted in this poll.

I think they used to "stick" polls so people would know where to see them and this way they didn't get lost on the board.

I voted for Hayes.

2010 Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook

University of South Florida Section

page 132

..."There should be work for 5-9, 190 -pound JC import Mike Hayes (Blinn, (Texas) College/East Bernard HS/East Bernard, Texas)), who gained 1,100 yards last year and scored 18 times. Hayes is fast - "He's got a chance to be a big play guy for us," Holtz said. - but he's also strong and can bench press 350 pounds." We expect him to help," Holtz said.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

Holtz does not give out praise just for the heck of it.

• Content Count:  66,206
  • Days Won:  172

the most talented will get the best opportunity

no favorites with this coach

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

the most talented will get the best opportunity

no favorites with this coach

+1

• Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

i think Mo will because he will get more chances as a senior and more familiar with offense. he also had solid game vs NIU in bowl game

i think Mo will because he will get more chances as a senior and more familiar with offense. he also had solid game vs NIU in bowl game

Perhaps, we watched a different game. I REMEMBER only Ford.  ;D

....# Player No Gain Loss Net TD Avg Long

3 Moise Plancher 5 14 3 11 0 2.2 12

5 Lindsey Lamar 3 1 4 -3 0 -1 1

7 B.J. Daniels 11 21 47 -26 0 -2.4 13

26 Mike Ford 20 210 3 207 1 10.4 36

43 Richard Kelly 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals 40 246 57 189 1

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/worksheet.jsp?year=2009&game=200900000050320100102.xml

Just because you get more carries doesn't always translate into more yards. That's especially true when the other guy getting less carries is more of a take it to the house speedster of equal size.

Thought I'd share this comment from a noted Texas person who is on the Board of Directors at the Dallas Business Club. He wrote today on the FB page of Mike Hayes:

I believe you have the potential to be another Emmitt Smith, from what I have seen of your bruising rushing style at Blinn. But, as I have said before, you have to stay focused on your task on the football field, and stay on the field by performing well in the classroom. You can't have one without the other. If you stayed focused and take advantage of your opportunities, you will be a success on the field and in life. I know I sound like a broken record in that I keep repeating the same concepts, but I want you to make the most of this opportunity. It sounds like Coach Holtz and the Tampa press has already warmed up to your potential. Now, just to go there and show them what a small town underdog from East Bernard, Texas can do!

• Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

i knew mike dominated but thought but mo had a better game than that, lol

Archived