• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

which side of the ball will win us more games this year?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

offense:

we have a strong OL, will be deep but lack superstars at RB (though one may emerge), and have some opportunities but are thin at receiver. we dont know what holtz's offense will look like but he has said he doesnt want BJ to lead in rushing and BJ has said he likes passing more, holtz is apparently known for using tight ends, and should have an overall improved offensive strategy throughout the year.

defense:

we will probably be vulnerable to the deep ball. were not as tough as last year up the middle but im not sure this is a red flag. mark snyder should be a better DC. with the running game of contenders uconn, pitt, and wvu, i think we will need a strong DL, and though we lost 2 ends, people like marshall and giddens could have big years.

i'll throw in a third side: the sidelines

whole new staff this year. we have room for improvement on play selection, penalties, schemes, personnel selection, and soft factors like team attitude and community involvement. does skip have what it takes to be an "x-factor" this season?

which side of the ball do you think will win us more games? thinking about other big east schools, where are you most concerned?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

As long as our defense can hold teams to 21 points or under, our offense should win the game for us.

I guess that's a little bit of both but I'll give the edge to offense as there are some high scoring games possibly on the horizon and BJ & company better bring it.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Good topic for discussion.

When you say which side will win games, to me, means which side will have a dominant performance. I would lean slightly to the defense. I think there is more overall talent. It is just young and inexperienced.

As far as coaching goes, reading many comments on here one would get the impression that Leavitt and his staff were horrible coaches. In reality the coaching is probably pretty equal, just different personalities and philosophies. The 2 areas I hope to see big improvement in is clock management and situational play calling in key situations.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

special teams.

specifically punt team defense and offense.

There was nearly 15 yards difference between our returns and opponents returns on average. That's ridiculously bad. We gave up 15% of the field every time we exchanged punts.

We were last in the country on punt team defense. we gave up nearly 20 yards difference compared to the #1 team. 20 yards is 20% of the field we just gave away every single time we punted.

• Content Count:  5,241

Im gonna give the edge to Defense. With Giddens, Marshall on the ends, Mclain in the middle we have a pretty good D-line. We have a pretty good linebacker core with Barrington in the Middle and Jacquain Williams on the outside.

Plus Lejiste and a growing amount of talent and depth in the secondary, I see them as a strength.

Also, 2 of our best receivers are down (Love and Griffin) and not real sure whats going on with the RB's leads me to think defense is our better unit.

• Content Count:  1,985

I have to agree, our history is with the Defense, and I do not see that changing this year.  They are young, but fast and I think they will impress.

Our Offense should be strong, I agree the line will be more experienced, but they are still pretty young.  I think we only have 1-2 of the +300 pounders that are seniors, gives me hope for NEXT season already.  Obviously the receiving corp is a big quesiton mark.  With what we saw in glimmers from BJ holds true and CSH builds on it, we will need a couple speeders that can break away.  That will help the run which should be more prevalent.  I drool thinking of having the ability to stretch a defense which can then help us break some big runs.

Also, what will special teams do?  Since JR Reid we really have not had a break out return man.  Hope we can get someone back there that can put a quick 7 on the board.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Offensive line is my call.  I think our running game will be special this year and will pick up speed.   You will see a great first game. Second game will struggle because it is UF and in the swamp.  Then third and fourth will be strong again.

Holtz said that is the one area he said he feels the best about.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I have to agree, our history is with the Defense, and I do not see that changing this year.  They are young, but fast and I think they will impress.

Our Offense should be strong, I agree the line will be more experienced, but they are still pretty young.  I think we only have 1-2 of the +300 pounders that are seniors, gives me hope for NEXT season already.  Obviously the receiving corp is a big quesiton mark.  With what we saw in glimmers from BJ holds true and CSH builds on it, we will need a couple speeders that can break away.  That will help the run which should be more prevalent.  I drool thinking of having the ability to stretch a defense which can then help us break some big runs.

Also, what will special teams do?  Since JR Reid we really have not had a break out return man.  Hope we can get someone back there that can put a quick 7 on the board.

Hopefully Lamar can help us stretch D's. If he learns the routes, I don't see why he can't be an excellent receiver. He shoudln't be going over the middle much, but many of the CB's are not that big either. Depending on the Fall depth chart and red shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if T-rex didn't make a few appearances at WO.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Laces side

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Defenses always are ahead of offenses in developing. If we can find replacements for Allen, Wilson, and Pierre Paul we will be good.

Archived