• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DOJO Tearin it Up

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

He packed John Wall twice and leads all scorers at this point with 13 vs. Washington Wizzards

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Does packed mean blocked his shot?

Sorry, I guess I'm not up to date on my basketball slang. :)

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Good for Nique. 1st round draft picks usually have long NBA careers. Shoot Darko Milicic is still in the league!

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Good for Nique. 1st round draft picks usually have long NBA careers.

This statement made me curious, so I went and looked up an old draft to see if that was true. I arbitrarily picked 2004, because I think six years is a good starting point, and based on what I see, your statement depends on what you consider a long career. For example, of the 14 first-round picks after the lottery picks (in other words, picks 16 through 29; there were only 29 picks that year because the Timberwolves had to forfeit their first round pick) in the 2004 draft, only eight of the players are on an NBA roster today. History suggests Jones' chance of lasting more than five seasons, based on the position at which he was drafted, is approximately a coin flip (that's assuming this draft I looked at is a good example of what's normal ... I certainly don't care enough to go look through another one :)). If he does make it that long, it's even slimmer odds that he'll still be with the Mavs at that point - only two of those eight players that stuck around are still with the team that drafted them (although two more actually just left their original teams this offseason in free agency).

I don't mean that as a slight to Jones, it would be true of anyone drafted that late in the first round. He has a guaranteed contract, so he'll have time to prove himself, but being a first round draft pick doesn't mean in the NBA what it means in the NFL. I think he's in a good environment to make the most of his opportunity though, and I'm certainly pulling for him. And hey, he already proved my skepticism wrong once; I thought there was no way he'd even be drafted in the first round, and he obviously made me eat my words there.

I don't really have an NBA team I root for - if I had to choose one, I'd say the Suns, because I love Steve Nash, but I'll probably adopt the Mavs as my team as long as Jones is with them.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

though i criticized him as of late for his comments towards usf and its fans, i was always saying he should go nba.  You can tell when someone has the knack to score the ball.  Defense can always be taught, but the scoring ability combined with strength and quickness is god given. 

I will always be a fan of D Jones, just think he needs to get this "usf fans did me dirty" chip off his shoulder. 

remember i called him the next Rodney Stuckey and then nbadraft gave him that nba comparison like a month later.  Bruce knows

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

He owned Wall!

I didn't watch so I'll take your word for it. But, the highlihgt says otherwise:

http://www.nba.com/video/games/mavericks/2010/07/15/1521000036_was_dal_recap.nba/index.html

Jones did lead all scores and held Wall to 4 of 19 shooting.

Archived