Auman reports:Transfer forward Rudd to sign with USF today

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

July 06, 2010

Transfer forward Rudd to sign with USF today

It'll be a year before he can play for the Bulls, but small forward Victor Rudd, a 6-foot-8 transfer from Arizona State, will sign with USF today, his AAU coach and legal guardian said Tuesday.

"He's going to sign with South Florida," Bill Hankins said by phone from California. "He had a great time with the coaches on his trip there. They play a type of offense he likes, and he feels like he can relate to the coaches there. He got off the plane and said 'South Florida's the place for me."

Rudd, who chose the Bulls over Marquette and San Diego State, will sit out the 2010-11 season and will then have three years of eligibility. The 19-year-old played sparingly at Arizona State as a freshman, averaging 2.5 points while playing just 5.2 minutes per game. Both Rivals.com and Scout.com rated him a three-star recruit a year ago coming out of highly touted Findlay Prep in Nevada. Rudd made a visit to USF's campus last week.

USF has had good success in recent years with Division I transfers in basketball -- Kentrell Gransberry (LSU) and Jesus Verdejo (Arizona) were multi-year starters, and Rudd will be the fourth transfer on USF's roster, joining Gus Gilchrist (Maryland), Anthony Crater (Ohio State) and Ron Anderson (Kansas State).

July 06, 2010 in Men's basketball, Recruiting | Permalink

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/07/transfer-forward-rudd-to-sign-with-usf-today.html

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,916
  • Days Won:  494

I wish I could say I'd seen him play and offer some insight, but I have not seen him play for ASU.

6'8" and just 215 pounds.  Feed the kid.

• Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

He'll have time to put on some muscle.  I like the addition, according to scout he had some nice offers.

GA added this quote from Rudd:

"I talked to some of the guys who had transferred there, and they said the year off was good for them," said Rudd, who weighs 205 pounds but would like to be at 225 by the time he starts playing in November 2011. "Hopefully that year off can do the same things for me."

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Not sure what made him transfer but it looks like he got a really late start at ASU.  He wasn't "cleared" to play until the middle of November which means he wasn't allowed to practice either.  Tough for a true freshman to get in shape and learn the system without practicing.

Seemed to be fairly highly rated coming out of high school (top 40 at his position and top 120 overall).  This may be another transfer that will work out well for USF!

• Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

so did he officially sign yet ?

so did he officially sign yet ?

Yep.

Bulls Sign Arizona State Transfer Victor Rudd 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 07/07/2010

TAMPA - Head Coach Stan Heath announced today the signing of Arizona State transfer Victor Rudd. A 6-foot-7 small forward, Rudd will sit out the 2010-11 season and have three years of eligibility remaining when he becomes eligible in November 2011.

"We're excited to add Victor to our program," said Heath. "He's a small forward with a good skill level and great athleticism. We feel he will really develop and get stronger with a year off and take his game to another level. To add a guy with his ability this late in the year is a nice addition to our program."

Expected to compete at small forward, the 19-year-old Rudd arrives at USF after seeing time in 15 games during his freshman campaign with the Sun Devils in 2009-10. He averaged 2.5 points and 1.1 rebounds per game in 6.2 minutes of action while adding three assists, three blocks and a pair of steals.

Rudd hit 13-of-36 (36.1 percent) from the floor as a freshman, including 6-of-28 (21.4 percent) from beyond the arc for the Sun Devils, who went 22-11 and advanced to the National Invitation Tournament during Rudd's rookie year.

His best game came Dec. 12 against Delaware State, when Rudd shot 6-of-7 from the floor for 15 points along with four rebounds and two blocks in 13 minutes.

A Los Angeles native, Rudd was a three-star prospect according to both Rivals.com and Scout.com coming out of Findlay Prep in Las Vegas, Nev.

Rudd chose USF over offers from Marquette, St. John's, Miami and San Diego State.

With his signing, Rudd becomes the fifth member of USF's 2010 class along with junior college transfers Jawanza Poland, Shedrick Haynes and Hugh Robertson and high school senior LaVonte Dority.

The Bulls lost four seniors from the 2009-10 squad in Chris Howard, Mike Mercer, Alex Rivas and Ryan Kardok, while junior Dominique Jones entered the NBA Draft and was selected with the 25th overall pick by the Memphis Grizzlies. Jones was subsequently traded to Dallas following his selection.

In addition, USF lost guards Justin Leemow and Jordan Dumars to mid-season transfers, opening up the roster spots for USF's 2010 class.

Dority signed a National Letters of Intent during the early signing period in November, while Haynes and Robertson inked with the Bulls on the opening day of the signing period in April. Poland became USF's fourth signee at the end of April.

Haynes and Robertson will have two years of eligibility remaining, while Poland will arrive at USF with three years to go.

With just one senior on the 2010-11 roster in junior college transfer Jarrid Famous, Rudd will join a solid nucleus of players which includes rising juniors Anthony Crater, Ron Anderson and Augustus Gilchrist along with soon-to-be sophomores Toarlyn Fitzpatrick, Shaun Noriega and Mike Burwell.

The Bulls finished 20-13 last season, the team's third-ever 20-win season, highlighted by a 9-9 BIG EAST record and a pair of wins over ranked opponents in No. 17 Pittsburgh Jan. 31 and No. 7 Georgetown Feb. 3. The victory over Georgetown marked USF's second-ever win against a top-10 opponent and just the third win ever against a ranked opponent on the road.

USF also advanced to the postseason for the first time since 2002 when the team hosted N.C. State in the first round of the NIT. The Bulls finished with one of the nation's best turnarounds after posting a 9-22 slate the year before. 

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204966547

• Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

Greetings Folks,

I'm a photographer for an ASU website, and Thursday I had a business meeting with a gentleman wearing a bunch of USF gear. Long story short, he's your "The Sheriff" member. 

As a favor, he asked me to register on your board (ummmm...a 2 day process?) and post links to a few decent Victor Rudd shots.  So....keeping my word to The Sheriff.....

Photo1:

http://www.cactusranch.com/crgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=35704

Photo2:

http://www.cactusranch.com/crgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=35677

Photo3:

http://www.cactusranch.com/crgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=32851

Photo 4:

http://www.cactusranch.com/crgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=33703

Anyway, best of luck to Victor. His first points at ASU came on a MONSTER alley-oop dunk (that unfortunately, I was not quick enough to get a decent shot of). Hopefully he'll do some big stuff for you guys.

Bob

"Arizona_Transplant" on CactusRanch.com

Thanks for the pics.

The Sheriff is well known around these parts.  ;D

Archived