• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Candidates age, size and market

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  0

With all of this talk about about possible Big East expansion now is the time to look at the possible candidates age, size and markets.  I also threw in endowment which is usually an indicator of how well established a school is.

Institution                                               TV Market Total Enrollment    Endowment             Location                         Founded

University of Houston                                       10 37,000             $674 million Houston, Texas                         1927

Rice University                                               10 6,799                    $3.6 billion Houston, Texas                         1891

Southern Methodist University (SMU)               5 10,693           $1.37 billion University Park, Texas (Dallas) 1911

University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP)               98 20,542             $151 million El Paso, Texas                         1914

Tulane University                                                51 11,157             $807 million New Orleans, Louisiana                 1834

University of Tulsa                                       61 4,165                     $915 million Tulsa, Oklahoma                  1894

University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)        40 18,047           $332 million Birmingham, Alabama                 1969

University of Central Florida (UCF)                       19 53,644           $114 million Orlando, Florida                         1963

East Carolina University (ECU)                     103 27,677             $91 million Greenville, North Carolina         1907

Marshall University                                     63 13,584             $60 million Huntington, West Virginia         1837

University of Memphis                                     50 21,424           $183 million Memphis, Tennessee                 1912

University of Southern Mississippi (USM)           167         16,050             $81 million Hattiesburg, Mississippi            1910

University at Buffalo                                     52 28,054           $566 million Buffalo, New York                 1846

Temple *                                                       4         31,600             $237 million Philadelphia, PA                         1884

Texas Christian University                               5         8,749             $974 million Fort Worth, Texas

Big East Schools

Institution                                               TV Market Total Enrollment   Endowment             Location                  Founded

University of cincinnati                                     33 39,667             1 billion                 Cincinnati, Ohio                 1819

University of Connecticut[13]                               ?        20,846             336 million       Storrs, Connecticut         1881

DePaul University                                               3         16,199             402 million         Chicago, Illinois                 1898

Georgetown University                                        9         7,092             1 billion            Washington, D.C.         1789

University of Louisville[14]                             49        15,125           796 million         Louisville, Kentucky         1798

Marquette University                                     35         8,012           337 million         Milwaukee, Wisconsin              1881

University of Notre Dame                             91 8,371                     6.5 billion                 Notre Dame, Indiana              1842

University of Pittsburgh                                     23 17,427             1.8 billion            Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania   1787

Providence College                                     53 3,938                     111 million         Providence, Rhode Island   1917

Rutgers University                                       1         28,031             654 million         New Brunswick, New Jersey   1766

St. John's University                                          1         14,983             267 million         Queens, New York           1870

Seton Hall University                                       1         5,245             147 million         South Orange, New Jersey   1856

University of South Florida                             14 34,447             328 million         Tampa, Florida                   1956

Syracuse University                                     83 13,736             646 million           Syracuse, New York           1870

Villanova University                                       4 6,335                     335 million           Villanova, Pennsylvania   1842

West Virginia University[16]                               ? 21,720             430 million           Morgantown, West Virginia   1867

• Content Count:  1,251

my choices if anyone ever gets stolen from big east

1. memphis

2. tulane

3. houstan

4. TCU

5. Buffalo

• Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  2

My first 4 choices would be:

1. Houston

2. TCU

3. Memphis

4. ECU

For me, it gets kinda tough after that.

• Content Count:  6

The Big East should start thinking more long term instead of the usual rejects.    Georgia State is starting their first season this year.    They have a 28,000 student body with 100,000 alumni living in the immediate Atlanta area.  They are going to be playing their games in a NFL stadium.  The Georgia Dome.  Sound familiar.  Their coach is Bill Curry a former coach at Geogia Tech, Alabama and Kentucky.  He has been the SEC and ACC coach of the year. 

The Big East should offer them right now with entry date around five years down the road.    With a Big East invitation already in hand, they would have some top flight talent when they are ready in five years to join the conference.

It would add a presence in an area the Big East currently has no teams which is home to alot of high school talent.    It would add a large media market.    It would fill in the geographic gap between USF and the rest of the Big East.    It would probably give USF a natural rival with the similarities between the two schools, and the Falcons and Bucs already being rivals.

If UCF, Memphis and ECU brought any value, they would already have been invited.

Think long term.   

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I had to check my calendar first, but sure enough... it is not April 1st. Was the last post serious?

You want to offer a school that hasn't even played football yet a golden ticket BCS invite? If they do indeed show growth, it isn't like they are going to be snatched up before we can offer them. Right now we are trying to keep our BCS status. Not give it away by offering teams that make us look even weaker.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I would take Georgia Southern over Georgia State.

• Content Count:  6

Yeah Raetus, giving an invite to Memphis which has historically been one of the worst major college programs in the country will really open eyes around the country.  ESPN and Fox will probably start an immediate bidding war which will drive the revenues of the Big East through the roof. 

Your not going to lure a BCS team from any other league, and no member of the current CUSA members will bring any thing of value tv contract wise.  If the BE is going to survive, they are going to have to think outside the box

We got a BCS invite in what our 8th year of existence.    I'm proposing Georgia State in their 6th year of existence.    I can see why you think I'm totally delusional.

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I think you are delusional because currently, Georgia State and myself have played the same amount of Division 1 football.

Memphis has six conference titles and is 4 and 3 in bowl games; I'm not saying they should get the invite or they shouldn't get the invite, but when coupled with their basketball success they are a hands down better selection than Georgia State.

You can't sanely propose Georgia State in their 6th year because, you have no idea what the team will be like in six years. What if years 1-6 go like this

Year 1: 0-12

Year 2: 0-12

Year 3: 0-12

Year 4: 0-12

Year 5: 0-12

Year 6: 0-12 Probation and loss of scholarships for recruiting violations.

How is offering Georgia State an invite to become active six years from now going to help with anything tv contract wise? No network is going to be able to monetize their worth until they know what they bring to the table. As of right now, no one knows what they bring to the table. If you want to wait a few years and see how they are progressing, then that is fine and maybe they'll be a great addition.

I am not saying that Georgia State is a definitively bad selection, but giving them an open invite upon reaching year six of existence and no other conditions is a dumb idea; I don't know any simpler way to say it.

Archived