• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Big East should be talking to...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

Army and Navy

The Positives:

- The Utes just got invited to the Pac 10, which might make Navy more likely to consider jumping ship as well

- Both geographically appropriate to the Big East

- Both have huge national fan bases, have won national titles, and come with some prestige

- Army has a built in rivalry with Notre Dame

- Army and Navy have their own rivalry and a national spotlight game every year

- Adding 2 teams would eliminate the risk of a conference collapse even if we lose two or 3 teams, allowing Notre Dame to keep their independence and giving them a reason to really WANT to stay with us for football

- It would be more of a lateral replacement if we lose two teams, rather than picking up C-USA teams which we all know is a downgrade

The Negatives:

- Army is probably gun shy about joining a conference after being a C-USA member and having difficulty keeping pace

- Army might be suffer from Notre Dame Syndrome and be too proud of their independence to see a good deal when it is offered (Lets face it, ND is stupid for not joining the Big Ten)

- Army and Navy football have both been pretty weak as of late and they might be hesitant to join a conference that will provide tough competition

- I have no idea how they preform in other sports

I'm aware that this scenario is unlikely, but you have to admit it would probably work out better than adding a lackluster C-USA team that we know is desperate to join the Big East.  They aren't going anywhere, so if we fail at this we can still pick them up later.  I'm sure there will be lots of people that disagree, but in my opinion this scenario would play out way better for the Big East in the end.

EDIT: I know my list of negatives is short, I just can't think of any more...

Notre Dame will join the Big East before Army or Navy. In fact, Army LEFT a conference in 2004 because they wanted to schedule who they want when they want.

• Content Count:  509

These are the teams I would look at if I was the Big East in this order:

1) TCU

2) Houston

3) Memphis

4) Navy

5) Army

6)Temple

7) ECU

8) Marshall- WVU would block their inclusion

9) Southern Miss

10) Tulane

11) UCF- USF should block their inclusion

Yeah, Army was in C-USA and ended up leaving with the claim that they wanted to run their own schedule.

I think the real reason was that they didn't do well, but I think a lot of that had to do with incompetent coaching and their own difficulties in recruiting.  I think the Big East would boost their recruiting potential and if Navy joined up they'd be in a conference with their two biggest rivals.  Even if it would be a hard conference for them the benefits seem to even out with the cost and it gives them an opportunity to elevate themselves that they won't get if they stay independent.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

TCU and Houston would be better but that is waaaaaaayyyy out of the Big East footprint...

These are the teams I would look at if I was the Big East in this order:

1) TCU

2) Houston

3) Memphis

4) Navy

5) Army

6)Temple

7) ECU

8) Marshall- WVU would block their inclusion

9) Southern Miss

10) Tulane

11) UCF- USF should block their inclusion

I agree that TCU and Houston would be better scores, but I think they are even more unlikely due to the geographical problems it would cause.  But then again I'm sure lots of people made the same arguement against USF last time the Big East expanded.  Memphis is only so high because of the 10million bucks from Fed-Ex and their stadium, but the money that is promised might violate some laws and I don't think it can be counted on.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm quite sure that if Fed-Ex wants to donate $10mil to the Big East, they find a way to get it done.

Yeah, Army was in C-USA and ended up leaving with the claim that they wanted to run their own schedule.

I think the real reason was that they didn't do well, but I think a lot of that had to do with incompetent coaching and their own difficulties in recruiting.  I think the Big East would boost their recruiting potential and if Navy joined up they'd be in a conference with their two biggest rivals.  Even if it would be a hard conference for them the benefits seem to even out with the cost and it gives them an opportunity to elevate themselves that they won't get if they stay independent.

Army and Navy cannot change their recruiting... and they could be in the Big Ten or SEC and it won't matter.  Service academies have significant standards - and all recruits have to serve in the active military after they graduate!

I'm not sure how a team you think was bad in C-USA would be better against better teams.

Sorry, chum.  You might as well wish for the winning Power Ball #s so you could build USF an OCS with all of the winnings.

Memphis is only so high because of the 10million bucks from Fed-Ex and their stadium, but the money that is promised might violate some laws and I don't think it can be counted on.

There is no law violated if FedEx says "Fed Ex is willing to be a corporate sponsor for whatever conference selects Memphis."

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

First army and Navy said no 2 summers ago to be full and part time members.

Second, reports from FedEx said the money/sponsor rumors were not true.

Archived