Why I won't lose any sleep over the expansion topic, at least not yet..

IncrediBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Mostly because there will not be any plan which includes USF, for quite some time to come.  Here are my thoughts as to why....

Because the first wave of any Pac 10, SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 expansion is not going to include USF.  They are going after the big fish, and scrambling to pillage each other's conference.

Because if the BE tried to grab anyone now, no one would join unless they were in a lesser conference (ie  CUSA), because schools in bigger BCS conferences would not leave to join the BE.  I don't see Texas or UF or FSU or Maryland or KU or KSt or Arkansas or BC or Virginia coming to the BE anytime soon.

Bigger (or more established) programs are in the drivers seats, and will get first dibs on the best deals in the premier / realligned conferences.

The BE could cease to exist, or become truly a lessor conference in football, in the future.  We were already on the verge of obscurity until some recent successes (ie Cinci and Pitt).

USF will be picked near the end of the reallignment, after most the dust settles.  We won't hear anything for quite some time (ie months).  We just are not that attractive in the grand scheme of things.

It is not likely that USF will be included in early discussions with any major conference.  While those of us on this board may be biased towards USF, the big fish are going to be sought after - not us.

I for one don't care too much about the daily updates, because USF's inclusion is many months off.  And our ultimate fate, will be left until that time.  Why worry each day about something we have no control over, and that we are an insignificant consideration for.

• Content Count:  962
  • Days Won:  1

Mostly because there will not be any plan which includes USF, for quite some time to come.  Here are my thoughts as to why....

Because the first wave of any Pac 10, SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 expansion is not going to include USF.  They are going after the big fish, and scrambling to pillage each other's conference.

Because if the BE tried to grab anyone now, no one would join unless they were in a lesser conference (ie  CUSA), because schools in bigger BCS conferences would not leave to join the BE.  I don't see Texas or UF or FSU or Maryland or KU or KSt or Arkansas or BC or Virginia coming to the BE anytime soon.

Bigger (or more established) programs are in the drivers seats, and will get first dibs on the best deals in the premier / realligned conferences.

The BE could cease to exist, or become truly a lessor conference in football, in the future.  We were already on the verge of obscurity until some recent successes (ie Cinci and Pitt).

USF will be picked near the end of the reallignment, after most the dust settles.   We won't hear anything for quite some time (ie months).  We just are not that attractive in the grand scheme of things.

It is not likely that USF will be included in early discussions with any major conference.   While those of us on this board may be biased towards USF, the big fish are going to be sought after - not us.

I for one don't care too much about the daily updates, because USF's inclusion is many months off.  And our ultimate fate, will be left until that time.  Why worry each day about something we have no control over, and that we are an insignificant consideration for.

+1

Although, it's sounding like expansion is essentially done at this point anyway. Unless something unexpected kicks off.

This is good on the one hand, because at least USF is still in a BCS conference. On the other hand, though, it's hugely disappointing (to me), because I was really, really pulling for the BEast to die in a situation where we found ourselves in the ACC. Oh well.

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Life's no fun without worrying about something. I'm gonna shift mine towards the BE's automatic BCS qualifier. With the noise the teams from the MWC have made (Utah, TCU, Boise St.) the past 4 or more years and the our past 2 BE champions slacking on the big stage. Were only 2 years out from our BCS contract running out.

Plus I bought a sweet hardhat for when the sky falls so I need a reason to wear it.

• Content Count:  66,206
  • Days Won:  172

i havent lost sleep over anything involving usf

this is all fun guys

• Content Count:  210

Even with Boise State, there are only 4 quality teams currently in the Mountain West. There is absolutely no way that conference deserves an automatic bid. The Big East may be weak right now, but it has much more future promise than those teams in the MWC.

• Content Count:  4,879

And MWC is likely to lose one of their big 4 to Pac 12

• Content Count:  509

And MWC is likely to lose one of their big 4 to Pac 12

Perhaps Utah, and if that happens the BE should invite TCU. Better yet invite them now!

• Content Count:  771

This might be it on expansion for awhile.  Utah might be added to the pac 12 and that's about it.  Hopefully USF can take that next step in football over the next couple of years, and our stock will rise.

This might be it on expansion for awhile.  Utah might be added to the pac 12 and that's about it.  Hopefully USF can take that next step in football over the next couple of years, and our stock will rise.

Hopefully USF can take the next steps in BASKETBALL, BASEBALL, SOFTBALL, VOLLEYBALL, TRACK & FIELD, etc.. oh and ACADEMICS (getting the invite to the AAU)... over the next couple of years and our stock will rise.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,547
  • Days Won:  112

You are correct.  The expansion thing, if over for now, is not "over".  A couple of years down the road the Big 10 (with 12 teams) will look to expand.  Winning a Big East championship in the next 2 years will help our cause.  We won't be SEC or Big 10 or Big 12 (which is which now?) ready, but it might make the ACC look our way.

Archived