• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The BE and Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I read where all big east schools need to accept an application for invitation in order for them to be admitted.  is this true??  I am unaware of the current BE bylaws.  I would think that would be a hindrance on the football schools.  especially if they are trying to strengthen that side of the conference

I read where all big east schools need to accept an application for invitation in order for them to be admitted.  is this true??  I am unaware of the current BE bylaws.  I would think that would be a hindrance on the football schools.   especially if they are trying to strengthen that side of the conference

That is how all conferences work.  Colorado officially was invited to apply for membership in the Pac 10.  Nebraska was officially invited to apply for membership in the Big 10.

Conferences don't invite teams to apply and then reject their applications.  Conferences don't take applications without an invitation. 

So it's really a two-way street.

I read where all big east schools need to accept an application for invitation in order for them to be admitted.  is this true??  I am unaware of the current BE bylaws.  I would think that would be a hindrance on the football schools.   especially if they are trying to strengthen that side of the conference

That is how all conferences work.  Colorado officially was invited to apply for membership in the Pac 10.  Nebraska was officially invited to apply for membership in the Big 10.

Conferences don't invite teams to apply and then reject their applications.  Conferences don't take applications without an invitation. 

So it's really a two-way street.

What I meant was all 16 members of the big east have to approve acceptance.  the big 10 only 8 out of the 11 have to say yes.  I think it is the same in the pac 10.  16 out of 16 members have to say yay for someone to get accepted into the conference.

Here's an interesting story:

FedEx CEO could provide millions if BCS-affiliated league takes Memphis

FedEx CEO Fred Smith has spoken to various conference officials and made it known that his Memphis-based company could provide millions of dollars -- perhaps as much as $10 million annually -- to a BCS-affiliated league willing to offer an invitation to the University of Memphis, multiple sources close to the Memphis program have told CBSSports.com.

"It could be $10 million every year for a conference to use however it sees fit," said one of the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "When you think of the big picture, it could be the equivalent of a five-year, $50 million contract or a 10-year, $100-million contract. Fred is talking about a massive amount of money."

Though almost anything imaginable remains a possibility, the most likely scenario in this ongoing expansion frenzy, according to multiple sources, is for Memphis to receive an invitation from the Big East soon or after some of the Big East's current members move to the Big Ten. But, a source said, "it's hard to tell how this is going to shake out."

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Memphis it is!

Seriously, though, if we ended up snagging any member from the Big 12, then adding another closer game would only make sense. If we got Kansas and Memphis, the basketball conference would be insane. I have a feeling we need to cut some of the fat in the Big East to survive and I don't see that happening.

A complete long-shot off the wall idea:

Current

Cincinnati

Connecticut

Louisville

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

Syracuse

West Virginia

USF

Add

Boston College

Navy

TCU

Maryland

Memphis

Missouri

Kansas

Notre Dame

Is this likely? No. Why does it have a even a long shot? Kansas and Missouri would need a home after Big 12 implosion. Memphis wants BCS status. The additions of BC, and Navy would give Notre Dame two of its annual opponents as part of their schedule -- ensuring they could maintain those rivalries within a conference. They would still have three or four out of conference games to play around with their "independence" so the USC game would still be on depending on how the league is setup.

This makes the Big East a 24 team ultra basketball conference, though. It would have to operate like two conferences, but if you are looking to make a network based in NYC, then this hits quite a few markets with the additions.

I know. It's a completely insane idea.

uh oh ucif.  that doesn't bode well for you.  If that is the case I would think the big east takes memphis over the ucf.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I've been preaching for Memphis to the Big East for a long time and that article bodes well for them.

I've been preaching for Memphis to the Big East for a long time and that article bodes well for them.

I agree. I have long thought that Memphis makes the best option among the non-BCS teams out there ... and better than some (Iowa State?) BCS teams.

Memphis is a new, fairly significant TV market.  It has solid facilities.  It has the Liberty Bowl.  And now it has FedEx willing to become a league sponsor for $10 million a year.  Yeah, that's almost a no brainer.

Archived