• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Twist on Possible Pac-16

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

This could be setting a new precedent I don't like.

I don't know about everyone else, but I like the conference championship games. If the Big East were to get to 12, that would add another fun game and further whittle down those in the title hunt.

However check this out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know about everyone else, but I like the conference championship games. If the Big East were to get to 12, that would add another fun game and further whittle down those in the title hunt.

However check this out:

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

won't happen cause it would be the end of the bcs.  The sec, acc, big 10 would demand the same.  it's not happening.  Then you would guarantee congress getting involved in an antitrust investigation.  That would be a guarantee.

However check this out:

won't happen cause it would be the end of the bcs.  The sec, acc, big 10 would demand the same.  it's not happening.  Then you would guarantee congress getting involved in an antitrust investigation.  That would be a guarantee.

I'm not so sure about that...  Think about this - the 6 AQ conferences already get 8 or 9 teams into the 10 BCS slots every year. Heck, right now the 6 AQ conferences could take up all 10 slots if the mid-majors/Notre Dame aren't in the Top 12.

Switching to two AQ slots for FOUR conferences is about the same -> 8 of 10 slots for the big boys, two for wildcards that could include mid-majors and/or Notre Dame.

Now, I'm not sure conferences would forgo the $$$ generated by a conference  championship... and maybe the "two division winners" would not be the best choice (what if the two best teams one year are from the same division?)...

But if there are four mega conferences, I could see the BCS giving two slots per conference - the champion and the next highest rated team - and that would not diminish what the other guys get.

Still Congress might get involved just for the formation of the four mega conferences and what that means for the regular season and television contracts.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see any conference that is elgible to have a conference championship game passing it up due to the $$$$$$$ factor.

Archived