• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rivals releases their Rivals100 today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  0

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2640

I wonder if USF has any  chance with any of the 4-star guys listed. There's a couple that already have offers, but pretty much every guy on this list has a list 20 deep right now.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i think we have an outside shot at tim jernigan

• Content Count:  4,016

If in outside you mean like so outside we're about four zip codes away then you are right.

Our only hope, which is fools gold, is that the rivals stupidly inaccurate ranking of FL recruits and having Tim Jernigan at like #46 makes teams shy away.  But that's extreme wishful thinking.  I am still scratching my head how a kid like Tim has 3 DT's better in the nation and 40 or so players ahead of him.

A kid like Tim is a once in a decade dude.  I've seen enough of him play, and heard from someone close up there, and he's probably one of the 4-5 best DT's I've seen coming out of HS dating back to Jerome Brown out of Brooksville.  or Al Haynesworth too.  I know he's only 275lbs, but Tim is still lean at that size and his superior leverage and quickness led to over 30 sacks as a soph and junior...he can turn it on at a moments notice.  He's special I just wish we could have been so lucky to land.

• Content Count:  771

If in outside you mean like so outside we're about four zip codes away then you are right.

Our only hope, which is fools gold, is that the rivals stupidly inaccurate ranking of FL recruits and having Tim Jernigan at like #46 makes teams shy away.  But that's extreme wishful thinking.  I am still scratching my head how a kid like Tim has 3 DT's better in the nation and 40 or so players ahead of him.

A kid like Tim is a once in a decade dude.  I've seen enough of him play, and heard from someone close up there, and he's probably one of the 4-5 best DT's I've seen coming out of HS dating back to Jerome Brown out of Brooksville.  or Al Haynesworth too.  I know he's only 275lbs, but Tim is still lean at that size and his superior leverage and quickness led to over 30 sacks as a soph and junior...he can turn it on at a moments notice.  He's special I just wish we could have been so lucky to land.

If we win this year everything changes in regards to recruiting.  Just think how huge winning the florida game would be.

• Content Count:  4,016

If we win this year everything changes in regards to recruiting.  Just think how huge winning the florida game would be.

It's not going to open the doors that much.  The same thing was said by a few delusional fans before we played FSU.  I can guarantee you even if we beat UF in the Swamp Tim Jernigan still goes to UF over us...sad truth my friend, but facilities, history, prestige are HEAVILY weighted on their side.  A few extra wins won't be the end all for recruiting woes.  Besides my bet is at half this list will already be committed to top 15 schools by the time our UF game rolls around.

BTW, I wouldn't go expecting the moon from Skip this year either.  It's a bit of a transition year for the team, and he'll be asking BJ to do some things he's not completely accustom to doing having been a heaviliy running QB even back to his HS days.  There will be some heavy bumps this up coming season.  And I am sure a few pleasant surprises too.

• Content Count:  100

It's not going to open the doors that much.  The same thing was said by a few delusional fans before we played FSU.  I can guarantee you even if we beat UF in the Swamp Tim Jernigan still goes to UF over us...sad truth my friend, but facilities, history, prestige are HEAVILY weighted on their side.  A few extra wins won't be the end all for recruiting woes.  Besides my bet is at half this list will already be committed to top 15 schools by the time our UF game rolls around.

BTW, I wouldn't go expecting the moon from Skip this year either.  It's a bit of a transition year for the team, and he'll be asking BJ to do some things he's not completely accustom to doing having been a heaviliy running QB even back to his HS days.  There will be some heavy bumps this up coming season.  And I am sure a few pleasant surprises too.

I agree with everything you say, it will take a lot more than one or two wins over the state powers to start drawing top in-state recruits. It's simple: For USF to get better recruits than Florida on a regular basis, USF will have to be a better team than Florida. One win over the Gators would not mean USF is better.

That said, a win over Florida, unlikely as it may be, would be much more meaningful than the win over Florida State last year. Florida right now is one of the top five programs in the country year in, year out. That wasn't the case five years ago and it might not be the case five years from now, but it's certainly true right now and I have a hard time imagining that changing as long as Urban Meyer is the coach there. It certainly remains an uphill battle for USF, moving past FSU and Miami in the mean time is a more realistic target, though obviously that is going to take a lot of big wins as well.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

A win over would be slightly helpful to recruiting, but not so much. 

We need to get the type of hype we had the week we rose to #2 then maintain it for a couple of years. Then we need to get into the top 10 and stay there, win the conference championship and win a few BCS games and sell out the stadium even against teams like Stoneybrook.

When we do all that consistently then we will land.top recruits regularly.

• Content Count:  143

The "fools gold" is actually believing that a win over the top team in Florida will mean nothing.  Actually it will be quite the opposite.  Comparing a win over FSU and Leavitts consistant inability to make a win like that stick will change with Holtz.  FSU at the time of the USF win, was considered the #3 team in state, UM #2 and UF, #1.  It's still the same.  If you want to rate the top four teams today, you very easily can say USF is the #3 team in state.  FSU (and some USF) fans can spin it all they want.  The fact is USF did beat FSU if I remember.  The 2011-2012 season is gonna be where Skip will kick some serious recruiting and teams rears.

Archived