Building the Perfect Storm

cygnus34

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Building the Perfect Storm:  Randy Shannon’s Contract Extended with the ‘Canes

By:  Mary Clark, Eye of the Hurricane

(visit us at http://www.eyeofthehurricane.net/wordpress/)

On the evening of May 12, 2010, the word was made official:  the University of Miami Hurricanes Head Football Coach Randy Shannon was signed on for four more years. While the exact terms of the contract are not disclosed, we know that it is highly incentive-based deal that rewards winning, while protecting Coach Shannon’s job if he accomplishes certain goals off the field. 

“We are very proud of the positive steps our football program has taken under the leadership of Coach Shannon,†Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt said in a statement announcing the contract. “With a commitment to excellence in the classroom, in the community, and in competition, we are well on our way, once again, to the top of the college football world.â€

Hocutt is right.  Coach Shannon has taken the Hurricanes from college football laughingstocks to possible BCS bowl contenders this season, and he has done it with class and integrity – something seemingly so lacking in coaching today.  It is clear that Coach Shannon has developed a family atmosphere at the University of Miami while molding young men with discipline and guidance.  Here are some of the fruits of Coach Shannon’s labor:

Improved record (by 2 wins) each year on the job

#1 recruiting class in 2008 according to ESPN

2 bowl appearances

100% graduation rate

No one on the ‘Canes roster has been arrested

Players are actively involved in the community and perform charity work on a regular basis

Recognized by the NCAA for having an Academic Progress Rate in the top 10% for multiple years.  Indeed, Miami was the only BCS-ranked team making an appearance in the top 26 this year.

Most ‘Canes fans know all of this and can site what Coach Shannon has done to turn around this team.  So, after over a year of being told the contract was close to being signed many Hurricanes fans have wondered: what took so long?  Rumors flew back and forth regarding unrealistic demands on the part of Shannon’s agent, while local and national media didn’t hesitate to call the powers that be at Miami simply “cheap.† All of this gave rival (and even not-so-rival) coaches fodder for scooping up Miami’s 2010 and 2011 recruiting targets by filling players’ and parents’ ears of stories that Coach Shannon would not be staying at the University of Miami.

“The biggest issue I heard recruiting last year was ‘Coach, you changed it around so why won’t they give you a contract extension?â€â€™ Shannon said. “There were schools saying ‘They don’t want him there,’ and no matter how much I said they do want me here, there were recruits and parents who weren’t seeing that part.â€

Regardless of what happened in the past year, now people know the truth.  Randy Shannon IS Hurricanes Football, and with Coach Shannon still at the helm, the future is bright at the University of Miami. 

“There's no other place I'd rather be than coaching Hurricanes football,†Shannon said in a statement. “I'm excited about the momentum we continue to build and our strong recruiting classes. We have dedicated student-athletes and an experienced and committed coaching staff, a strong athletic program and the university leadership's support -- all important components consistent with long-term success.â€

Now ‘Canes fans can rest assured.  With Randy Shannon, we have a coach who bleeds orange and green, who isn’t using the University of Miami as a stepping stone to the NFL, and cares more about this program than any of us “hard core fans†could even pretend to.  Coach Shannon knows what being a Hurricane is all about and is paving the future for decades of success. 

For the 2010 season Miami already had QB Jacory Harris returning for his second season as starter, a stable of talented running backs, the deepest corps of receivers in the nation, a talented secondary, an experienced front seven, and future 2011 first round draft pick Allen Bailey on the defensive line.  Now that Coach Shannon received his extension, the last ingredient for the perfect storm is in place. 

Sound the sirens:  Coach Shannon is issuing a Hurricane warning. 

• Content Count:  3,000
  • Days Won:  4

Too bad Shannon can't mold the fans into better ones. :P

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

Welcome to Thug U, more so on the fan side.

Archived