• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Possible Basketball Transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

Ole Miss guard Polynice interested in USF

A new name has surfaced as a potential late addition for USF's 2010-11 men's basketball team, as Eniel Polynice, a 6-foot-5 combo guard from Sarasota who started 64 games in three seasons at Mississippi, said Monday that he is considering transferring to play at USF this coming season.

"It's close to home, and there's a good chance of me going there," said Polynice, who will graduate from Ole Miss this summer and can then transfer and play immediately for his final season. "I could come in and compete for playing time and just help them out."

Polynice, 21, submitted his name as an early-entry candidate for the NBA draft last month, then withdrew it on Saturday, the deadline for underclassmen to pull their names out of the draft pool. He has a full release from Ole Miss, and while he hasn't spoken with USF coach Stan Heath, he intends to visit the Bulls next week before he returns for summer classes in Oxford.

"We're looking at hopefully South Florida," said Derrick Kirce, his coach at Sarasota's Booker High, who has spoken to Heath about Polynice. "I think South Florida would give him an opportunity to come in and have a legitimate shot at playing and getting quality minutes."

Kirce said he's also talked to DePaul and California about Polynice, but said the desire to get closer to home makes USF an ideal place for Polynice to play next season.

Polynice primarily worked as a point guard last year, leading Ole Miss in assists (3.9 per game) and averaged 8.8 points. He was suspended from the team for two games late in the season, then played in a limited capacity in the Postseason NIT, scoring six points in four games. He led Booker to a state championship in 2006 and was MVP at the state final four.

Heath coached against Polynice his final year at Arkansas, and while Polynice has not been a consistent perimeter shooter, he once went 7-for-11 on 3-pointers his sophomore year against South Alabama as part of a 28-point game. With the departure of seniors Chris Howard and Mike Mercer and Dominique Jones' departure to the NBA draft, Heath is lacking experienced guards, and Polynice would answer that need.

USF has a scholarship available from Jones' departure, and Polynice would be the fifth guard to join the Bulls this fall, along with junior college guards Shedrick Haynes, Jawanza Poland and Hugh Robertson and freshman LaVonte Dority.

Posted by Greg Auman at 02:40:24 PM on May 10, 2010 in Men's basketball , Recruiting | Permalink | Comments (1)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

We have an open scolarship and the guy provides some insurance. This is a no brainer bring the guy in for a year.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Sign him up!

It would be nice to have a full roster for a change with a lot of options to choose from.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Any relation to Olden Polynice, the former NBA center?  I know he's not a child because Polynice has only daughters, but didn't know if it was shirt tail relations or something like that.

The more, the merrier. 

Can't wait for football and basketball this time around.  Despite losing Jones, I think we have better depth and have grown as a team.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

If his guy was good enough to ponder the NBA early, I have no doubt he could immediatley impact our team.

I really hope we bring him in.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I like this potential pickup a lot. The guy can't shoot but he can pass, dribble, defend, and bring the energy. He's battle tested and at this point I'll say this move is a low risk high reward situation for USF. He would most definitely make us better and looking at the roster we are built to be a scary transitional team. Hopefully Stan let's these boys play and have some fun.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

If his guy was good enough to ponder the NBA early, I have no doubt he could immediatley impact our team.

I really hope we bring him in.

Yep, It's a no brainer.

Polynice points to NBA draft

BASKETBALL: Guard holds off on hiring an agent to preserve eligibility

bilde?Site=SH&Date=20100504&Category=ARTICLE&ArtNo=5041035&Ref=AR&MaxW=600&border=0

AP FILE PHOTO / BRUCE NEWMAN

Mississippi's Eniel Polynice (14) dribbles against Florida's Alex Tyus (23) during an NCAA basketball game in Oxford, Miss.in this Feb. 20, 2010 file photo. Polynice, a Booker High graduate, is testing the NBA draft waters.

By CHRIS DELL, Correspondent

Published: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Monday, May 3, 2010 at 8:54 p.m.

SARASOTA - Eniel Polynice is one step closer to fulfilling a lifelong dream.

The Mississippi guard recently declared himself eligible for the NBA draft and will not return for his final season with coach Andy Kennedy and the Rebels.

Polynice will be the first member of his family to graduate from college this month. The red-shirt junior averaged 9.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and a team-high 3.9 assists this season.

Polynice will not hire an agent and thus preserve his final year of college eligibility.

He is only the third player in Ole Miss history to tally over 700 points, 300 rebounds and 300 assists.

"(Mississippi) is an excellent place academically, and I'm just focused on trying to get my degree," said Polynice, a criminal justice major who has a minor in journalism.

"God blessed me with two SEC West championships here and I met a lot of good people, but it's time to move on.

"It feels great to be the first person to graduate in my family, and I just want to thank everyone who doubted me in the past ... I couldn't have done it without them."

As a 6-foot-6 true point guard, Polynice is an athletic anomaly.

The 21-year-old has impressed pro scouts with his 7-foot-2 wingspan and NBA-ready body.

Over his career he has built a reputation of being a lockdown defender at Ole Miss, often guarding an opponent's best scorer at multiple positions.

"I've learned that you don't always have to score to be the best player on the floor ... you can make an impact in other areas," Polynice said. "It's the little things like making the extra plays when you're tired or coming up with a key stop down the stretch of a game."

Polynice does not appear in most mock drafts among players expected to be selected in the two-round event, which covers 60 picks.

Polynice scored double figures in 16 of the Rebels' first 25 games and finished his career at Mississippi with 791 points, 397 rebounds, 319 assists, 124 steals and 43 blocks.

"I can help out a team in a variety of ways," Polynice said. "I'm willing and able to play multiple positions at any given time and defend any position."

The Booker High alum is the second Rebel to declare for the draft, joining sophomore guard Terrico White.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100504/ARTICLE/5041035/-1/newssitemap

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Could he be our next JPP? A one-and-done stud?

I'm put off by his numbers last year, but if he somehow thinks he's good enough for early entry into the NBA he should be pretty decent...in theory.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'm missing something... if he transferred, he sits out a year, no?  So we wouldn't have him until fall 2011, and then only for 1 year.

I don't mind adding solid talent, but I'd much rather have a super talented Freshman or Sophomore than a 1 year player looking to jump to the draft.

Archived