• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Published: Thursday, May. 06, 2010

Updated: Thursday, May. 06, 2010

Pieces of a puzzle

Seminoles trying to figure out where everyone fits for 2010

By ALAN DELL - adell@bradenton.com Buzz up!

BRADENTON — There will be a lot of experimentation going on this spring for the Southeast High football team.

Head coach Paul Maecthle is trying to find a running back and wants to see if defensive standouts Desmond Blue and Brian Poole can add the tailback duties to their already demanding responsibilities.

He also needs to replace three starters in his secondary, including Florida-bound Jon Dowling, and both lines are going to need some tweaking, particularly on defense.

Thankfully, Maechtle feels secure in his passing game with quarterback Dyron Speight and receiver Bo Brand entering their third season as starters.

The 6-foot-tall, 160-pound Brand has become his security blanket and the team’s most highly touted prospect going into the 2010 season. He received an offer from USF on Tuesday night to go with those from Rutgers, Illinois and FIU.

Brand has proven he can bail out an offense when it is sputtering, and he’s the perfect role model, according to Maecthle and Noles receiver coach Myron Dennis.

“Bo has a great work ethic. He puts his time in and is willing to learn anything he needs to do to make himself a great receiver,†Dennis said. “He is the kind of kid every coach is looking for, someone who will do anything you ask. He is an excellent route runner, always puts himself where he needs to be and has great hands. I would bet on him every day.â€

Brand has gained a reputation for catching the ball at its highest point thanks to his vertical leap and rarely drops a pass. Last year he caught 41 passes, averaging 18 yards a catch with six touchdowns. As a sophomore, he had 31 catches for 455 yards and a team-high 14.7 yards a reception.

“I really appreciate the offer from USF,†Brand said. “They have a big shot at me. They send a lot of people to the league (NFL) like Mike Jenkins (Southeast grad with the Dallas Cowboys). I’ve always been a Georgia fan, so we’ll see what happens.

“I am going to attend some camps this summer, but mainly, I want to go some place that is going to throw the ball and air it out. It doesn’t have to be in Florida.â€

Brand has run a 4.4 time in the 40-yard dash, but it’s his athleticism, soft hands and character that has endeared him to college coaches. He figures to have many more offers by the time signing day comes next February.

The Noles have two other talented receivers in Adrian Richard and Antonio Ray, giving Speight three pass catchers who have the speed to get open and are breakaway threats.

Maechtle wants to augment the passing game with a solid run game. Blue, a linebacker and the team’s leading tackler last season, is a candidate for tailback along with Poole, who has started the past two years in the secondary. Also in the mix are Terrance Johnson, starting tailback on last year’s JV team, Jeffrey Sanon, Johnny Carley and Stanley Oliver.

Blue shared the running back duties as a sophomore and averaged 4.2 yards on 60 carries while battling injuries. As a freshman, he averaged 5.4 yards a carry on 26 attempts.

The Noles haven’t had a productive running back who went both ways since Jenkins, and he was special, getting picked in the first round of the 2008 NFL draft. In his senior year at Southeast, he gained 859 yards rushing and was team’s most valuable defensive player.

“Blue and Poole are defensive starters, so it’s going to be a challenge to get them in shape to go both ways,†Southeast running backs coach Ed Starling said. “But we are going to have to rely on them early on until we get a nucleus established. I think they can do it and carry the load for us if we have to go that way.â€

http://www.bradenton.com/2010/05/06/2263127/pieces-of-a-puzzle.html

• Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

Nice to see that reputation being created.

• Content Count:  3,896
  • Days Won:  3

Shhh....nobody tell him offensive skill players don't usually make it to the NFL from our position...

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Shhh....nobody tell him offensive skill players don't usually make it to the NFL from our position...

That might start to change... the best players will be featured more and the scheme will include more things that NFL scouts are interested in. When you have WRs and RBs shuttling in and out of the game and the QB generating 75% of the offense, that doesn't really help anyone's pro chances.

Archived