• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SBC Lunch with Coach Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Just got back from the event.  The more I hear him talk, the more and more he sells me.

At first, he just talked about his past; moving around as a kid, meeting his wife, coaching changes. He mnetioned the only reason he's not the head coach of Syracuse is because his wife saw that they average over 100 inches of snow in Syracuse.  Another Holtzism to add "Up until I was about 10, I always thought we were running from the IRS, then I realized my dad was football coach."

He then talked about USF being the right fit for him.  He sees himself as a piece of the larger puzzle. We being students, he talked how important it was for students to be active, and them being a huge piece of the puzzle. He said that its important to show the support for all sports and games; mentioning that recruits do come to games like Stoney Brook, and that they will turn us down because we only have 30k there. Every game should be like the West Virginia game from a few years ago.

After, he took a couple of questions. The first was on how it feels to be on every other billboard in Tampa.  He said he's never been comfortable with the publicity like that, and apologized for the increase in wrecks since they have gone up.  Also, he said he has never read a newspaper since he lived South Bend.

Next question was about an on-campus stadium.  He really wants one. Said it adds to the tradition and USF environment.  He wants the visiting fans to have to come to our campus and see it; have ESPN games where you the nation can see the campus, rather than fly in to TIA and take a cab 5 minutes to the stadium.  However, he said that he understands why we do not have one and that there is nothing wrong with RJS.  We're spoiled to play in RJS, and if we want to build something on-campus, we had best be prepared to fork over the money for a nice place.  So he's like most of us; we want one, but we're not in a terrible rush.

Next was on QB depth, and he talked how Gumsby will likely be the 2nd string qb when he comes in the fall, but that he, like BJ Daniels are great athletes that they are working on to be great QBs.

Then he was asked if he was at all nervous about the possible conference shakeup or Big East expansion.  He said he's not worried at all; citing the 27 month clause for the Big East and that we're not going anywhere for at least 2 years.  He said that when the shakedown comes, USF will be included.  He said he's not sure how he feels about Big East expansion without knowing who or how it would be done; mentioning Memphis and UCF (which drew some boos from the group).

Finally, he asked us what we thought of the helmet colors. Most of us said gold. He said a lot of the players love the white helmets.  He mentioned the idea of getting gold pants with gold numerals on the uniforms plus the gold helmet, saying he thinks it would look sharp. Perhaps he's testing the waters on uniform ideas.

As I said, the more I hear him the more I believe what he believes, that we can win the Big East and win a National Championship.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this guy is great

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Finally, he asked us what we thought of the helmet colors. Most of us said gold. He said a lot of the players love the white helmets.  He mentioned the idea of getting gold pants with gold numerals on the uniforms plus the gold helmet, saying he thinks it would look sharp. Perhaps he's testing the waters on uniform ideas.

I've always wanted us to have gold pants. Fix the gold helmet up the way it should be and you'd have a winner.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I've always wanted us to have gold pants. Fix the gold helmet up the way it should be and you'd have a winner.

+1

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

Just got back from the event.  The more I hear him talk, the more and more he sells me.

At first, he just talked about his past; moving around as a kid, meeting his wife, coaching changes. He mnetioned the only reason he's not the head coach of Syracuse is because his wife saw that they average over 100 inches of snow in Syracuse.  Another Holtzism to add "Up until I was about 10, I always thought we were running from the IRS, then I realized my dad was football coach."

He then talked about USF being the right fit for him.  He sees himself as a piece of the larger puzzle. We being students, he talked how important it was for students to be active, and them being a huge piece of the puzzle. He said that its important to show the support for all sports and games; mentioning that recruits do come to games like Stoney Brook, and that they will turn us down because we only have 30k there. Every game should be like the West Virginia game from a few years ago.

After, he took a couple of questions. The first was on how it feels to be on every other billboard in Tampa.  He said he's never been comfortable with the publicity like that, and apologized for the increase in wrecks since they have gone up.  Also, he said he has never read a newspaper since he lived South Bend.

Next question was about an on-campus stadium.  He really wants one. Said it adds to the tradition and USF environment.  He wants the visiting fans to have to come to our campus and see it; have ESPN games where you the nation can see the campus, rather than fly in to TIA and take a cab 5 minutes to the stadium.  However, he said that he understands why we do not have one and that there is nothing wrong with RJS.  We're spoiled to play in RJS, and if we want to build something on-campus, we had best be prepared to fork over the money for a nice place.  So he's like most of us; we want one, but we're not in a terrible rush.

Next was on QB depth, and he talked how Gumsby will likely be the 2nd string qb when he comes in the fall, but that he, like BJ Daniels are great athletes that they are working on to be great QBs.

Then he was asked if he was at all nervous about the possible conference shakeup or Big East expansion.  He said he's not worried at all; citing the 27 month clause for the Big East and that we're not going anywhere for at least 2 years.  He said that when the shakedown comes, USF will be included.  He said he's not sure how he feels about Big East expansion without knowing who or how it would be done; mentioning Memphis and UCF (which drew some boos from the group).

As I said, the more I hear him the more I believe what he believes, that we can win the Big East and win a National Championship.

ahhh man u should have told him to put a green U on the gold helmet!!!!! come on outrunner step ur game up!!!

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Skip understands branding, and the need for USF to expand their brand.  With Skip here I could see him at some point down the road spearheaded the fundraising needed for an OCS, but that is way down the road.

• Content Count:  1,390

Ah man, really wish I could've made it. I had to give a presentation for class at the same time as the luncheon.

• Content Count:  5

I believe USF will have an on campus stadium within the next fifteen years. The sky is the limit for USF Football with an on campus stadium.

• Content Count:  1,251

I believe USF will have an on campus stadium within the next fifteen years. The sky is the limit for USF Football with an on campus stadium.

i really hope its less than fifteen years.....im looking at ten years....

Archived