• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Little things that could mean a lot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

South Florida: The return game

Upgrading the Bulls' special teams might be the quickest way for Skip Holtz to make improvements, and especially on returns. South Florida was dead last in the Big East and 98th nationally in kickoff returns. They didn't fare better on punt returns either -- ranking seventh in the league. Just think of the disadvantage that creates in field position over a season. With as many fast athletes as the Bulls have on the roster, there's simply no excuse for not being better at bringing back kicks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/8748/little-things-that-could-mean-a-lot-in-the-big-east

I agree with this!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

It's all about the blocking.

or Leavitt's unwillingness to put anyone north of the 2-deep on the special teams unit.

this was the most frustrating part of our team last year (lack of field position and giving up way too much field position)  that pretty much cost us the UConn game.

or Leavitt's unwillingness to put anyone north of the 2-deep on the special teams unit.

this was the most frustrating part of our team last year (lack of field position and giving up way too much field position) that pretty much cost us the UConn game.

What are you talking about?

Dontavia Bogan was on the 2-deep and was our primary kickoff returner... many of our two-deep were on the special teams as blockers and a lot of our fast defenders were on kick coverage teams.

In fact, I would say of the 44 positions on the four kick and kick coverage teams, 30-35 of them were filled by people on the offense or defense 2-deep.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

this was the most frustrating part of our team last year (lack of field position and giving up way too much field position)  that pretty much cost us the UConn game.

Dontavia Bogan was on the 2-deep and was our primary kickoff returner... many of our two-deep were on the special teams as blockers and a lot of our fast defenders were on kick coverage teams.

In fact, I would say of the 44 positions on the four kick and kick coverage teams, 30-35 of them were filled by people on the offense or defense 2-deep.

not true

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

[/quote

this was a 10 yearproblem

holtzunderstands the game

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Leavitt obviously didn't care about special teams, or blocking on special teams. He never really paid attention to it at all and didn't try to correct any issues.

...see Miller, Joel..Louisville, 2009

Seriously, I don't know who was out there blocking, but some people will never be happy. We collapsed in 2007 and 2008, so Leavitt changed the practice schedule to not work the kids too hard, thinking they were fatigued. We also had some injuries, so he used 3rd/4th string guys on special teams to try and prevent injuries to the 2-deep.

Yes, something that seriously needs to improve. Leavitt is gone, philosophy is different, hope that it helps, but my guess is that Leavitt did the best that he thought he could do. It doesn't help that players like Theo Wilson and going back, Amarri Jackson who had great vision, shiftyness, and other ability, weren't able to overcome poor decisions and inability to secure the football.

I would like to see Lamar on kick returns this year, not sure about punts, you are usually going to have to shake a tackle on punts. I've always loved running backs (former RBs) on kick returns, their whole life has been about vision and seeing holes open up before it happens.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

you sure that is a fact?

there were a lot of guys who played key positions on special teams that really had no business being out there or werent coached properly. 

i dont know which one it was but it was clear that leavitt never really cared about special teams...or didnt know how to do anything about it.

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

It was a surprise to see Bogan get past the 25yd line after kickoff last season. Definitely need to improve this area with either Lamar or T-rex

not true

quite true.

Archived