• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Johns hires former UCLA head coach and ESPN analyst Steve Lavin.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Cant be good for USF.

Guy brought UCLA to elite 8, to the tourney 6 out of 7 years and every recruit in the country knows who he is. 

We dont need teams like St. Johns, DePaul and Seton Hall improving. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5041205

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

He brought UCLA to the Elite 8 with Harrick's players. I don't think this is that good of a hire for St. John's

Seton Hall's hiring is even more perplexing.

He brought UCLA to the Elite 8 with Harrick's players. I don't think this is that good of a hire for St. John's

As a former Johnnie fan I am not pleased with the hire due to his coaching set skills, which could have improved. 

but one thing is for sure I go play for Lavin over a lot of other coaches, sorry to say Heath is in the "other coaches" category. 

• Content Count:  1,081

There is a reason Lavin hasnt been coaching for the last 7 years...he isnt very good at it.  UCLA is a much easier sell than St. John's but Lavin is a good recruiter, just a poor bench coach.  St John's was down to their 6th or 7th choice and they just wanted an name at this point.

I like the Seton Hall hire, anyone who Pitino calls the next Billy Donovan must have some serious upside.

I agree on why he has been out of coaching for a while.  Never thought he was a great game time coach. 

UCLA might be an easier sale to a kid from Michigan, but not from a kid from NYC or the northeast, where the most and best talent comes from.  And Im not sure if you ever been to NYC, but theres a couple of things to do.  ::)

Lavin is a smooth salesman who has been on TV the last 6 years.  believe me, this is not good for us. 

• Content Count:  1,081

We dont exactly recruit NY all that much...Famous was a JUCO and thats about it...We seen to recruit DC/Maryland, Florida, and Michigan

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

As a former Johnnie fan I am not pleased with the hire due to his coaching set skills, which could have improved. 

but one thing is for sure I go play for Lavin over a lot of other coaches, sorry to say Heath is in the "other coaches" category. 

who did you think you would get

where is lou c?

good hire

lavin is a great guy

We dont exactly recruit NY all that much...Famous was a JUCO and thats about it...We seen to recruit DC/Maryland, Florida, and Michigan

then we should join the Big 10 or ACC.  look at every roster in the Big East, majority of kids are all from NY, NJ, Philly, etc.  We need to play that style of basketball. 

who did you think you would get

where is lou c?

good hire

lavin is a great guy

i shouldnt say im not pleased, im just not overly excited.  I like Lavin, i would play for him if I were a top player. 

guy reached the sweet 16 5 out of the 7 seasons he was at ucla.  maybe his coaching skills are better than JG and I think.

• Content Count:  5,982

Lavin is looking to hire some assts with strong ties to the state of NY. If he can do that then the Johnnies future could be very very bright.

Archived