• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Serious question for Greg Auman...if you will indulge us

usf97

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Greg, I know you read and post on these boards from time to time and I would like to get your take on something if you feel you can divulge this.

Now 1st I want to say, I am a GA fan. I think your blog is the best we could hope for out of a beat writer, so I am no hater.

I was listening to your interview with Justin on 620 on Tuesday and you said something about, you were were aware of this locker room situation about a week or so ago. There had been rumors floating around and you were aware of them. Now what was your take on that? Had that other "writer" who seems to have his own agenda not released his story this week.....did you feel with what you had or knew, that you would have to come out with something?

One reason I ask, is some around here claim that you won't come out with a negative story on USF and I know that is not the case. I think you do more investigative work so when you do a negative story, it tends to have more details and oftentimes makes the story less inflammatory than others want it to be. I was just curious if this had not all happened did you have something in the works or did all your investigations lead to "this is not a story".

If you don't want to answer that I can totally understand but that was the 1st question I thought of when I heard that the other day.

Keep up the good work.  :)

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

probably something that would of been better over email or PM rather than its own post.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

probably something that would of been better over email or PM rather than its own post.

I suppose so....just figured it would be interesting to get GA's take.

I am sure he had already done his own investigating. It would be interesting to know how this story would have been received nationally had GA's version came out 1st. Not that it matters now, but had something come out where an incident was acknowledged yet it had been dealt with internally in the athletic department and all parties are happy.....a) would that even be a story worth printing and B) would any national media actually pick that up?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I was just curious if this had not all happened did you have something in the works or did all your investigations lead to "this is not a story".

Greg came out with the Moffitt Mischief - that was very negative for USF and a USF Player.  He took a lot of grief too, but most understood that what he reported was news and was fact.  Some of the factual comments by Mrs. Moffitt were hard to believe , but he reported them.

I think Greg digs a little deeper on stories and he will likely answer this question when the time is appropriate.  He won't hide.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Brad beat me to it.  Greg was all over the Ben Moffitt saga, so he isn't ducking this story.  Greg tends to get confirmation of his stories from second and even third sources. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

Brad beat me to it.  Greg was all over the Ben Moffitt saga, so he isn't ducking this story.  Greg tends to get confirmation of his stories from second and even third sources.   

And one thing I would do as a reporter would be to call the people quoted in the article right before deadline for publishing the story, run it by them one last time and make sure nothing had changed since they were interviewed ...

• Content Count:  2,726

EXACTLY!!!

McMurphy's a beeotch!!!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  12,293

And one thing I would do as a reporter would be to call the people quoted in the article right before deadline for publishing the story, run it by them one last time and make sure nothing had changed since they were interviewed ...

sounds easy..but really...that is what you would do? 

not likely.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

sounds easy..but really...that is what you would do? 

not likely.

Why would you not? You're going on record with ONE name and i'd be **** sure that I had that portion locked down  ..... unless, of course, I had taken that named person's quotes and used them out of context .... then I wouldn't check **** and just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

Archived