• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For anyone interested in an outsider's perspective

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sure not everything I'm about to say will be taken well by everyone on this board, but here goes.

You guys need to settle down on the press coverage of Leavitt.  Does it suck to have a negative story get picked up nationally?  Of course it does.  But if you ever think that USF is going to turn the Florida Big 3 into the Florida Big 4...welcome to life in the big leagues.

Did any of you watch "The U" documentary on ESPN this week?  Did you see how many of those articles about UM were written by the hometown press?  The Miami Herald, The Miami Times (until it folded), The Sun-Sentinel, and The Palm Beach Post ripped Miami for 15 solid years.  Dan Le Batard (he was actually in the documentary) was the primary reporter writing stories that led to Miami's probation in the 1990s.

And it's not just UM.  How about all of the FSU stories over the past couple of decades.  Those fans are convinced that every writer of every negative FSU story is a UF alum.  And then to hear the UF fans tell it, they think they get the worst coverage of the three of us.

I came over here to get a different (and more inside) perspective on this story.  Sadly, I see a bunch of fans who are horribly misguided on the law (if there is libel, only Leavitt can sue, and he's going to have a huge couple of hurdles on the "false" and "actual malice" elements, since he is a public figure).  I also see a lot of mistakes made on the credibility issue.

Bottom line, you guys may not like this particular reporter, but he reported.  Now, perhaps the family is changing its tune (hmmm, I remember when the Marve family started to say nice things about Miami when they wanted Miami to release Robert to more schools, but I'm pretty sure I know how they really feel).  Perhaps there has been an exaggeration of what happened.  But it is important to analyze the parts of the article that are "factual" in nature and separate those from other feelings.

Regardless of whether you don't like the writer, or the writer doesn't like USF, or if the underlying facts have been stretched into larger opinions and conclusions, it does seem like it will be easy for USF to investigate and establish whether Leavitt made physical contact with Miller.  Issues of "how hard", "what context", and "real injury" will be determined in other ways, including whether Miller continues to tell a story somewhat consistent with the article or whether he will say something more supportive of Leavitt.

Personally, I think that Leavitt can and will survive this issue if nothing new or more damaging arises.  But let's not pretend like this isn't serious.  Woody friggin' Hayes, who was a much greater "institution" at Ohio State was fired for a fairly minor (i.e., didn't hurt the player) punch at an opposing player during a bowl game, and I was watching that game live as it happened.  And the timing on Mangino's situation (which seemed to primarily involve verbal insults, not physical striking) cannot be good.

Sadly, some of this stuff is brought on by Leavitt himself, as far as "expectations".  When a coach is verbally (and by body language) frequently witnessed as being extremely intense and animated, then when a (relatively mild) story such as Miller's arises, it is much easier for people to believe that it possibly happened.  That doesn't mean it did happen or make it right, but I hope that Leavitt learns a bit from this regarding his demeanor (especially if this happened during the same game where he injured himself headbutting another player).

But in all honesty, you really shouldn't go nuts about the media and/or dismiss the entire story as false.  I watched a lot of FSU fans criticize the media, the Tallahassee police/prosecutors, and, sadly, the alleged victims at times, just because they were mad about negative media coverage.  Factually, events either happened or they didn't happen, you have to let those in a position to investigate just do their jobs.

Yes, the negative media coverage sucks.  But good lord, I can guarantee you that this story pales in comparison to decades worth of negativity that UM and FSU (and to a lesser extent, UF) have endured.  I don't think Leavitt will be fired, but you also don't want a person to be abusive for decades because he thinks he can get away with it (Bobby Knight).

Eventually, if you guys are going to turn the Big 3 into the Big 4...you need to get used to this.  It will NEVER end.  And it also doesn't stop your school from winning championships or recruiting talent.

Seriously.  Watch "The U" again.  A lot of tough things happened.  A lot of INACCURATE media coverage ensued.  If you choose to believe every bad story ever written about UM and FSU and UF, then remember how you felt when this Leavitt story broke.  Trust me, most of the stories may be inaccurate or incomplete, but that doesn't make them libelous.  If they were, Miami would be the richest university in the country.

Best of luck to you.  But get used to it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Good comment. And I us to be a big UM guy. Loved the story about the Boz. He thought he was the bad boy college football. Til he came to Miami. Jerome Brown look like he wanted to eat him alive.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Thanks for the post, Hurricane.  It's very well written for a Hurricane.  ;D

I'm not dismissing the story as it never could have happened.  This certainly could be the beginning of the end for Leavitt.  In my opinion, that is a completely different issue than the lack of journalistic integrity by this particular reporter.

The story could have been reported in a much different way, and we'd be talking about the story instead of the reporter.  The reporter had a great inside scoop.  He could have reported it without twisting the words of the people involved.  Over the last several years, he has shown again and again that he will misquote the intent of people to make a story look bigger than it really is.  McMurphy isn't exactly a young guy, and he's still working as a beat reporter instead of writing editorials.  What does that tell you?

This is about The Reporter Who Cried Wolf.  This isn't a reporter that gets things wrong or exagerrates SOMETIMES.  He exagerrates EVERYTHING.  After a while, you don't believe him even if he's accurate.  

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

it is important to analyze the parts of the article that are "factual" in nature and separate those from other feelings.

What is "factual" at this point?

We know that Coach Leavitt admitted to shaking some players during halftime. We know Mr. Miller has already gone on record to both the Times and Tribune to say that the fanhouse article misquoted him.

I would just find it real diffciult for the father to backtrack now concerning something that is very serious. This is why I think you see so much negativity concerning McMurphy and the article. His track record on other stories hasn't been that great either.

Watched "The U". I thought it was very interesting and was certainly worth the time to watch.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

This guy doesnt realize how small town USF fans are.  We will keep ourself out of the top 3 or 4 whatever you call it. 

Rule #1 at USF

Thall shall not talk bad about USF. 

it is important to analyze the parts of the article that are "factual" in nature and separate those from other feelings.

What is "factual" at this point?

We know that Coach Leavitt admitted to shaking some players during halftime. We know Mr. Miller has already gone on record to both the Times and Tribune to say that the fanhouse article misquoted him.

I would just find it real diffciult for the father to backtrack now concerning something that is very serious. This is why I think you see so much negativity concerning McMurphy and the article. His track record on other stories hasn't been that great either.

Watched "The U". I thought it was very interesting and was certainly worth the time to watch.

SFF, I'm saying it's "factual" in nature.  Meaning, the contact can be establish as happening or not happening, regardless of severity.  I understand that Miller and family appear to be backtracking a bit, but there were also unnamed players who were quoted as saying the event happened.

My point is that I would expect USF to interview everyone who was in the locker room.  Even if the contact turns out to be minimal, I would expect that there would be plenty of people who would say it happened if it happened, or it didn't if it didn't.

I know this is at a very preliminary stage, I'm just pointing out that there are parts of this that can/will be established as happening or not happening.  The question of "how severe was the contact" might be an element that is never established FACTUALLY, but is always a question of perspective and opinion.  That is all.

Thanks for the post, Hurricane.  It's very well written for a Hurricane.  ;D

I think I'll take this as a compliment, Data.  I'm a 3-time UM alum, so hopefully I can give credit to my fine UM education.

Maybe someday you guys will understand it fully, but my UM Family is not just UM alums.  Sometimes it is tough to see the young knuckleheads who are a part of the UM Family, but it's hard to prevent them from coming to Family functions when you're a tiny private school.

Good luck.

• Content Count:  5,241

Good Post.

As the team grows, so will the fans. Some of our reactions are just growing pains.

Archived