• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FAU at USF Bulls preview and game thread

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

South Florida vs. Fla Atlantic Game Preview

GAME NOTES: Trying to break through against the South Florida Bulls for the first-time ever, the Florida Atlantic Owls head to the Sun Dome in Tampa tonight for an in-state battle.

These two teams have met 10 times previously and in each of those contests the Owls have been taken down. Most recently the squads clashed in the Glenn Wilkes Classic in 2007 where USF posted a resounding 100-69 victory in Daytona Beach.

As far as this season is concerned, the Bulls are off to an impressive 5-1 start, the lone loss coming against South Carolina by a mere three points (69-66) during the Charleston Classic last week. More recently, the Bulls challenged Kent State at home on Wednesday and took care of the Golden Flashes in a 76-54 final.

As for the Owls, who are in the process of closing out a four-game road trip with this meeting, they lost for the second time in the last three games on Monday with a 73-66 setback at Manhattan.

At Draddy Gym earlier this week, the Owls made good on 5-of-12 shots behind the three-point line in the second half against Manhattan and played the Jaspers even for the final 20 minutes, but that was only after FAU hit on a mere eight total field goals in the first half to take itself out of contention. Raymond Taylor was first on the team in scoring with 17 points, followed by Shavar Richardson and Greg Gantt with 12 and 11 points, respectively. Taylor, a starter in all four games thus far, leads the team in scoring with his 18.3 ppg and is one of the better passers in the Sun Belt Conference these days with an average of more than six assists per game. However, while the end product is certainly top-notch, his mere 37.7 percent accuracy from the field is still a work in progress. Richardson (14.0 ppg) and Gantt (11.0 ppg) round out the list of double-digit scorers for a team that is putting up 77.5 ppg and clearing a lofty 44.0 rpg at the moment.

The Bulls put all the pieces together in the first half against Kent State two nights ago, shooting 54.8 percent from the field and holding the visitors to a mere nine field goals (.310) in the frame, eventually leading to the 22-point win for the squad at the Sun Dome. Augustus Gilchrist led all scorers with his 19 points, converting 3-of-4 shots from three-point range while also finding opportunity to clear seven rebounds. Jarrid Famous chipped in with 16 points and eight boards, followed by Dominique Jones with 10 points and four assists in just 24 minutes of action. The leading scorer in four of the six games thus far, Gilchrist accounts for 19.0 ppg and a team-best 7.5 rpg as he shoots not only 50.8 percent from the floor overall, but also 6-of-8 out on the perimeter. But as well as he has played in the early going, there's still the matter of his 21 turnovers, against just five assists to address. Jones, an all-conference performer in the Big East, checks in with 17.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg and close to five assists per outing, not to mention leading the unit with 14 steals as he gives his full effort at both ends of the floor.

With players like Gilchrist and Jones always ready to attack, there's no reason to believe the Bulls won't remain perfect in their series against FAU tonight.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/cbaskm/game.aspx?sched=46382

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,084

Ill be at this one.  Go Bulls!

Looks like we will have our hands full keeping them off the boards. Obviously FAU misses quite a bit and crash the offensive glass. If USF can clear those defensive rebounds then they will get plenty of fast break opportunities.

USF is 2nd in the Big East by allowing a poultry 22% from 3pt range by the opposition. I would imagine an underdog such as FAU will launch their share of long range shots, so if our defense of the three holds up and we defensive rebound well this game will be a cake walk for USF.

• Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

USF is 2nd in the Big East by allowing a poultry 22% from 3pt range by the opposition.

A "poultry" 22%?  That's a problem - especially if we get into "fowl" trouble.  We'd better be ready to talk turkey on this subject - and soon...I'm not gonna play chicken on this one.  Our goose could be cooked otherwise.

• Content Count:  259

Ill be at this one.  Go Bulls!

Bruce Blingstein??  HA.. what a loser name.  Hey Bruce!!?  Merry Christmas Baby....you sure did treat me nice! 

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

easy win coming tonight.

Guest nybullsfan

anybody tailgating for fau tonight?

finally made it to campus (sure has changed a bit) to take a picture at the new athletics bldg, and saw folks already charging for parking

i'm heading over to bulls heaven for some stuff, but def coming back for the game.

anybody else?

(didn't see this thread, feel free to delete or merge!)

• Content Count:  486

how much is parking?

USF is 2nd in the Big East by allowing a poultry 22% from 3pt range by the opposition.

A "poultry" 22%?  That's a problem - especially if we get into "fowl" trouble.  We'd better be ready to talk turkey on this subject - and soon...I'm not gonna play chicken on this one.  Our goose could be cooked otherwise.

Well it is thanksgiving weekend, way to be the spirit ;)

Here it is for those not going to the game:

Go BULLS

Archived