• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ledger: Selvie Has A Tough Task in Last Home Game

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

HURRICANE THREAT

Selvie Has A Tough Task in Last Home Game

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

Published: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 at 9:04 p.m.

TAMPA | Defensive end George Selvie admitted he might "drop a tear" Saturday during the final home game of his memorable career at South Florida.

But this Bull is no crybaby.

The two-time All-American knows when to check his emotions at the door, and he'll need to before chasing after Miami quarterback Jacory Harris. Give the sophomore 'Cane some time to throw, and he'll pick a defense apart and leave town with a victory, just like he did in Miami's season opener against the Seminoles in Tallahassee.

"He's a playmaker back there," Selvie said.

Selvie has feasted on quarterbacks quite often in his career and is hungry to add to his total of 29. What adds to his motivation is the chance to help give the Bulls (7-3) their first-ever win over the No. 19 Hurricanes and a season sweep of Miami and Florida State.

"This is going to be the biggest game of my life right now," Selvie said.

He should have a chance to get a good look at Harris, too. Miami's offensive line has been far from stellar this season and has allowed opponents to sack its quarterbacks 28 times.

Selvie was wide eyed Tuesday when analyzing Harris' play and said he's talked about how the quarterback prefers to throw instead of taking off with the ball.

"He doesn't really want to scramble," Selvie said. "… But he will use his legs if he has to, if he gets in trouble."

If Harris does choose to run, that probably will open Selvie's eyes even more. USF's all-time leader in tackles for loss needs just 7 1/2 more to break the NCAA career mark of 75 held by Western Michigan's Jason Babin.

But Selvie can't be focused on records. Harris has thrown for 3,003 yards and 21 touchdowns for the Hurricanes (8-3). The ACC's passing yards leader also spreads the ball around with the best of them and has connected with 16 different receivers this season.

"They have a lot of playmakers on their team, and they're going to use it to their advantage," Selvie said.

The game plan is simple for the Bulls in their pursuit of slowing Harris down, according to Selvie.

"I've seen him throw a couple balls when he's in pressure. It's not as great as when he just sits back there and has time to look for his big receivers," he said.

When pressure has been there, Miami's star quarterback has proved to be human. Harris has thrown 17 interceptions, and six have come in the past three games.

"He's no different than any other quarterback," Selvie said. "He might get a little rattled under pressure, so that's what we're going to have to do."

HONORING A TEAMMATE

No. 95 has already played its last game at Raymond James Stadium.

That's right, Selvie wore his number for the final time Nov. 21 in a victory over Louisville. He'll be wearing No. 10 Saturday in honor of former teammate Keeley Dorsey, who died in 2007 after a team conditioning workout.

A different senior USF player has worn Dorsey's number each game this season to carry on the memory of the former Bulls running back.

Selvie chose the Miami game as the day to wear No. 10 and wearing it well is very important to him.

"Just going out there to represent him that night I'm going to have to play my hardest," Selvie said.

[ Tom Zebold can be reached at tom.zebold@theledger.com or 863-802-7553. ]

This story appeared in print on page C1

Link

Archived