• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN Prediction: South Florida 27 … Miami 24

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Miami (8-3) at South Florida (7-3), 3:30 EST, Saturday, ABC, November 28

Why to watch: Having already toppled Florida State back on Sept. 26, South Florida has a chance to send shockwaves throughout the region with another win over one of the state’s Big 3 programs. The Bulls became bowl-eligible by beating Louisville a week ago, but this week’s visit from Miami trumps any St. Petersburg or International Bowl on so many levels. Beat the ‘Canes, and only top-ranked Florida would stand between USF claiming it’s the Sunshine State’s top team of 2009. Can you say recruiting windfall? Miami will have to remain focused this week, knowing it has little to gain in Tampa. Yeah, a better bowl destination could be at stake, but it won’t be the BCS variety, and after zooming past Duke a week ago, 34-16, it can’t do better than second place tie in the ACC Coastal Division. Since peaking at No. 8 in the rankings a month ago, the Hurricanes have shown their youth with an inconsistent and mistake-filled November.

Why Miami might win: Yeah, Jacory Harris needs to cut down on his turnovers, but the Hurricane offense continues to churn out the yards and the points when he’s not making mistakes. The sophomore is surrounded by a spate of talented skill position players, who have the speed and athleticism to really challenge the South Florida defenders. Graig Cooper, Javarris James, and Damien Berry give the running game three viable options to ensure that no one is gassed in the final 30 minutes. Leonard Hankerson has evolved into Miami’s top receiver, and TE Jimmy Graham, a former basketball player, has become a more consistent threat in the passing game.

Why South Florida might win: Might the Bulls have the more dangerous quarterback in this game? The reality is that Harris has thrown 17 interceptions, including one in all but two games this season. He’ll have more problems in the face of the athletic and opportunistic South Florida D that leads the Big East in pass efficiency defense. With George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul up front, Kion Wilson in the middle, and Nate Allen and Jerome Murphy in the secondary, the Bulls have all-star caliber defenders at each level. On the other hand, B.J. Daniels is going up against an ordinary ‘Cane defense that’s been hampered by injuries and is ninth in the ACC in sacks. Plus, he’s coming off a heroic effort in the Louisville win, becoming the first quarterback in Big East history to throw for 300 yards and run for 100 more on the same day.

Who to watch: This game boils down to the two young quarterbacks, who, along with Florida’s John Brantley and Florida State’s Christian Ponder, will dominate headlines in the state again next year. While Daniels has flashed all of the inconsistency you’d expect from a redshirt freshman, Harris has regressed in his second year, forcing Randy Shannon to come to his defense. If he gets outplayed by a lesser-known hurler from South Florida, the hand-wringing and eye-rolling will reach a new level around Coral Gables.

What will happen: While both teams will be motivated on Saturday afternoon, South Florida’s intensity and want-to will be off the charts. This game really matters in Tampa, and it’ll show in the effort of the Bulls. It’s been a while since Miami has looked sharp for 60 minutes, so it’s ripe for the upset. USF will harass Harris all day, forcing him into a couple of costly picks that give Daniels short-field opportunities. With one final chance to win it late, the ‘Canes will get stuffed by the South Florida D, bringing thousands of fans out of the stands and on to the field at Raymond James Stadium.

CFN Prediction: South Florida 27 … Miami 24 ... Line: Miami -7

http://cfn.scout.com/2/923317.html

Must See Rating: (Charlie Brown Thanksgiving 5 … The Twilight Saga: New Moon 1) … 3

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

ive always liked those guys.....

only thing that really worries me is shannon running a lot of WR screens and forcing our secondary to tackle their fast and physical WRs.  hopefully our LBs are all over the field on Saturday.  I know Barrington will be ready to go.

Jerome Murphy...all-star caliber defender?

probably just looking at the fact he is a SR and on mel kipers board.  but what our fans continue to forget is that Murph is playing out of position.  he will play in the NFL but as a Nickelback/Saftey and punt returner (why he doesnt return our punts is beyond me)

I guess because it goes against Leavitt's policy of putting starters on special teams (which is dumb)

and yea i know bogan returns KO but still its clear that leavitt HATES putting starters on special teams.

• Content Count:  16,693
  • Days Won:  45

Murphy has been a great Kick Off returner for USF in the past. I remember that big return that Murphy had against Auburn late in that game. If I were Leavitt, I would put Murphy back there and make Murphy come off the bench in the secondary.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

probably just looking at the fact he is a SR and on mel kipers board.  but what our fans continue to forget is that Murph is playing out of position.  he will play in the NFL but as a Nickelback/Saftey and punt returner (why he doesnt return our punts is beyond me)

I guess because it goes against Leavitt's policy of putting starters on special teams (which is dumb)

and yea i know bogan returns KO but still its clear that leavitt HATES putting starters on special teams.

Yeah I think that is really dumb on Leavitt's part. Wasn't it Murphy that returned the last kickoff in the Auburn game that set us up with great field position at the end of the game?

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Mike Jenkins*

mike had the pick but murphy had the return....come on...if you are going to correct someone atleast be right.

and i havent watched the auburn game more than twice so i could be wrong but i still remember both plays.

• Content Count:  880

mike had the pick but murphy had the return....come on...if you are going to correct someone atleast be right.

and i havent watched the auburn game more than twice so i could be wrong but i still remember both plays.

You are correct.  Jenkins pick should have been ruled a touchdown.  Murph had an amazing return late in the game.

• Content Count:  106

You are correct.  Jenkins pick should have been ruled a touchdown.  Murph had an amazing return late in the game.

However, Mike Jenkins was put in at KO returner in a game late in the season (Cincy?) and ran the first one back for a TD.  I agree with putting Murphy in to return KO's.  We just don't get any spark from the current returners.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Mike Jenkins kickoff return for touchdown versus Cincinnati in 2007. If I'm not mistaken Trae Williams would also take kickoffs.

Archived