Chris Howard signs!

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

USF men’s basketball adds guard Chris Howard to recruiting class  

TAMPA, Fla. (Thursday, Nov. 11)  USF’s men’s basketball program signed prep guard Chris Howard to a national letter-of-intent today on the second day of the fall signing period.

Howard, a 6-2 point guard, averaged 17.9 points at Friendly High School in Fort Washington, Md., last season. He had eight triple-doubles for a team that finished the year ranked No. 1 in the Washington, D.C., area by the Washington Post. He is enrolling this week at Florida Prep Academy in Lake Suzy, Fla.. although he will not play basketball.

“Chris is a talented point guard and he brings so many of the qualities and attributes that we look for in a point guard,†said USF coach Robert McCullum. “He is a very heady player. He plays the game with great poise and he has a presence on the floor that you like seeing in a point guard. He is in control, he has a sense for game situations, clock situations, who needs to get the basketball when and where, he can deliver the basketball timely. He has great size for a point guard and he is a player that we expect will come in and compete for a starting position as a freshman.â€Â

Howard directed Friendly High School to back-to-back state titles as a junior and a senior.

“We also made recruiting players from winning programs a priority and Chris fits that mold,†said McCullum. “That speaks volumes for what we’re trying to do here in terms of bringing players in who knows what it takes to win.â€Â

The fall signing period continues through Nov. 17.

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/News.asp?i=1120&s=Basketball

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Markeymark

• Omniscientbull

• Velcro

• TripleB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Keep em coming Mac!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

i like this....

“We also made recruiting players from winning programs a priority and Chris fits that mold,†said McCullum. “That speaks volumes for what we’re trying to do here in terms of bringing players in who knows what it takes to win.â€Â

Guest HowieP1

I'm surprised that Hoopscooponline ranks Howard and Mattis better than they do Cann!  :o

61.    SOUTH FLORIDA (11 Points)..........3 Recruits..........3.7 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Conference USA..........(4) Chris Howard, 6'3, PG, Middleburg (Notre Dame) VA; (4) McHugh Matthis, 6'7, WF, St. Petersburg (JC) FL; (3) Zarron Cann, 6'6, PF, Brandon (H.S.) FL.

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/toprecruitingclassestodatefortheclassof2005-2005.html

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

You've got to remember that Cann missed most of his Junior year.  Highly ranked as a Fresh and Soph but without proving anything in your Junior year and this past summer then your stock will automatically drop.

If Cann gets back to full health he's definately a top 50 player in the country if not top 30.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

He is enrolling this week at Florida Prep Academy in Lake Suzy, Fla.. although he will not play basketball.

Ok, can someone splain this to me. Why isn't he going to play and how can this be good??

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

FHSAA rules DO NOT allow transfer after the year has started to play. They must go thru an appeal process

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

FHSAA rules DO NOT allow transfer after the year has started to play. They must go thru an appeal process

He transferred because he wasn't going to be the starting point guard yet he won't be playing AT ALL down here?? Is there parts to this story I've missed in here? If so, sorry for the dumb questions ............

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Cubanbull is correct.

On the positive side he can spend the year getting adjusted to Florida and concentrating on getting eligible.

He is practicing at the new school and I'm sure he'll be on some traveling teams or will enroll over the summer at USF.  He won't just be sitting and rotting.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully, this hasn't been posted already:

LATE TWIST: The men's basketball program expects to get letters of intent today from its three oral commitments, including Zaronn Cann of Brandon and McHugh Mattis of St. Petersburg College.

The Bulls' third commitment, point guard Chris Howard of Fort Washington, Md., is unexpectedly practically a local now. He'll begin classes Thursday at Florida Prep Academy, a tiny private school in Lake Suzy, east of Sarasota.

Howard, who won two state championships at Friendly High in Maryland, enrolled this fall at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., but decided last week to leave school. His coach at Notre Dame, Bill Barton, said Tuesday that Howard was unhappy with the prospect of not being the team's starting point guard.

He won't be eligible to play at Florida Prep, so he'll spend this season practicing and trying to get academically qualified to meet NCAA requirements and attend USF next fall.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/10/Sports/Leavitt_mourns_man_wh.shtml