Conferences

Costa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

This would only be possible if we had an on campus stadium....

JK< had to help out the cause.

Your right, BE will not want to give us up, and right now we are not enough of a draw for the ACC to come calling.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

This would only be possible if we had an on campus stadium....

JK< had to help out the cause.

Your right, BE will not want to give us up, and right now we are not enough of a draw for the ACC to come calling.

usf,one of largest universities in the land and in a big tv market will join acc or sec soon

the badnews is that ftu/ou/oc will be asked to join big east at that time as our replacement

• Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

ACC would definitely be overloaded with (mediocre) FL teams if USF or UCF moved into the conference.

Good thing UF is carrying the torch for FL so well because we're definitely losing respect out of the state. Most people I know outside FL consider USF the second best team in the state. I love USF but we shouldn't be the bar for the #2 team in a state with so many great programs.

most do not consider usf better than fsu or miami

usf will be in either sec or acc with in 5 years

i was first to predict usf in big east

I think in order for this to happen, to play in a "better" conference, we'd have to at least win the Big East once or twice, don't you?

• Content Count:  473

I think in order for this to happen, to play in a "better" conference, we'd have to at least win the Big East once or twice, don't you think?

Typically, my kneejerk reaction to a smazza post is an immediate desire to knee him for being a jerk, but in this case, he makes some sense.  Insomuch that the conferences are ever going to have a desire to realign, it isn't USF's success in the Big East that is going to make it marketable (or its lack of success that will make it less marketable) to the ACC / SEC.  Instead, officials with the responsibility to make such decisions will look at the type of details that smazza points out: market size, and our POTENTIAL to produce bigtime revenue based on the mere size of our student population and the large amount of alumni that we produce.  Revenue is the driving factor in decisions of these types.  The fact that USF FB is clearly improving, despite relative lack of success, will simply be an accompanying reason to add us.  While we are all fans of football as a sport, we have to keep in mind that in the eyes of ADs, university presidents, and conference comissioners / officials, its a business. 

• Content Count:  760

ACC would definitely be overloaded with (mediocre) FL teams if USF or UCF moved into the conference.

Good thing UF is carrying the torch for FL so well because we're definitely losing respect out of the state. Most people I know outside FL consider USF the second best team in the state. I love USF but we shouldn't be the bar for the #2 team in a state with so many great programs.

I think in order for this to happen, to play in a "better" conference, we'd have to at least win the Big East once or twice, don't you think?

How many times did we win CUSA before moving to the Big East?......

O yea ZERO.

Guest hm101

note sure what FTU OU or OC are.

SEC is a long shot. Its arguably the best and most well known conference. Is USF really to be named among the likes of LSU, UF, and Georgia? Not yet in my opinion.

ACC is more realistic, but Im not sure that does anything for us. We'll play Ga Tech, FSU, and Miami which is great, but I think patience is as important as anything else in this case.

We need to

1 - Consistently win

2 - Consistently increase ticket sales (current avg 55000)

3 - Prove to the ACC execs that we have a growing fan base that will tune in

4 - Buy more merch.

A few competitive seasons in the Big East will help us tremendously before moving on to a better conference. My point is id rather see a few more good big east seasons than a jump right into another conference.

Keep in mind other schools in the BE AND ACC are talking about realignment.

• Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

How many times did we win CUSA before moving to the Big East?......

O yea ZERO.

That's a good point Rican.

However, I am of the opinion that before we jump to the next level, it would be best if we actually won something first.

I agree with hm101's opinion, the "SEC is a long shot". If then that means at some point we get the nod to join the ACC, I'd like to know we're not going to be a bottom dweller in a new, "better" & "tougher" conference. And by saying this, I am in no way inferring that USF is the bottom dweller of The Big East.

What I am saying is that I think it would be best to hit the ground running in the ACC (or another conference) and have something to rest on our laurels rather than "potential".

But we really are getting ahead of ourselves here...

• Content Count:  219

the badnews is that ftu/ou/oc will be asked to join big east at that time as our replacement

note sure what FTU OU or OC are.

Agreed. What the heck is "ftu/ou/oc" supposed to mean? The only person I've ever seen use it is smazza.

• Content Count:  5,241

i wouldnt worry about all this conference change. Im much more concerned with selling out ray jay consistently, going undefeated, and finding an O-line!

Archived