• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did anyone catch that stat graphic in the game that said

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

USF had the lowest recruiting budget in all of the BCS?  Did I see that right?

Not that it is a surprise - I don't mean to go McMurphy on anyone about this, but I thought it was pertinent as the oversold #12 Bulls toyed with FIU.

I'm sure as revenues continue to grow through our BE and bowl tie-ins, we'll grow that area just as we have coaches salaries and facilities.  but it is a reminder that we are not yet on equal playing field with some of the more steady Top 25 BCS schools.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

USF had the lowest recruiting budget in all of the BCS?  Did I see that right?

Not that it is a surprise - I don't mean to go McMurphy on anyone about this, but I thought it was pertinent as the oversold #12 Bulls toyed with FIU.

I'm sure as revenues continue to grow through our BE and bowl tie-ins, we'll grow that area just as we have coaches salaries and facilities.  but it is a reminder that we are not yet on equal playing field with some of the more steady Top 25 BCS schools.

I did, and you did.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

How could it be less than the U's?  Randy Shannon only had to go to a couple of Miami schools to get 90% of his recruiting class.  ;)

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Just keep getting better recruits every year.

• Content Count:  339

It's much less than half of UF's budget and about half of FSU and UMs.  UCF's budget was actually like 2-300,000 higher.  There was an article about it over the summer.  I'm sure someone hear remembers which paper.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

Our overall budget is increasing each year and sure our recruiting budget will also. Concentrating on FL will keep costs down though.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Okay, the talking heads got that from our game notes.  Here is how the USF Sports Information people put it:

A model of efficiency

The Chronicle of Higher Education listed the recruiting budgets of every FBS football

program this summer and USF, which is ranked No. 19 entering the 2008 season and

was as high as No. 2 in 2007, spent the least amount of recruiting money of any BCS

football program. There are plenty of factors involved, including USF’s focus on talent

in Florida primarily and to a lesser extent in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. According

to the study, USF spent $468,813, which speaks to the program’s ability to

evaluate talent and get the most out of their players. West Virginia had the largest

budget in the BIG East, at over $1 million, while the top dollar figure surpassed $2

million by Tennessee.

• Content Count:  698

It was in one of the guys blogs a few months ago. No need to spend it when you can identify local talent and develope it rather then what FSU does in getting the best of the best and turning them into gang bangers.

• Content Count:  159

Okay, the talking heads got that from our game notes.  Here is how the USF Sports Information people put it:

A model of efficiency

The Chronicle of Higher Education listed the recruiting budgets of every FBS football

program this summer and USF, which is ranked No. 19 entering the 2008 season and

was as high as No. 2 in 2007, spent the least amount of recruiting money of any BCS

football program. There are plenty of factors involved, including USF’s focus on talent

in Florida primarily and to a lesser extent in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. According

to the study, USF spent $468,813, which speaks to the program’s ability to

evaluate talent and get the most out of their players. West Virginia had the largest

budget in the BIG East, at over $1 million, while the top dollar figure surpassed $2

million by Tennessee.

I love it. USF needs to keep doing what they are doing and everything else will fall into place.

• Content Count:  573

Its mainly because USF is incredibly selective with its official campus visits.  USF much rather have unofficial visits, which it has had success with becuase of mainly focusing on Florida. 

UM, FSU, and UF recruit much more nationally than USF and the local kids get official visits from "the big 3" at a higher rate than they do from USF.

Archived