• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Olin's Notebook: Selvie waiting to break out

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

i thought selvie had 1 sack?

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=848471

This time last season, South Florida All-America defensive end George Selvie already had 5.5 sacks. After two games this season, he's behind that pace – by 5.5 sacks.

Selvie, who was the second in the nation with 14.5 sacks in 2007, has none so far. He might be leading the nation in blocks absorbed, though.

South Florida defensive end George Selvie knows he needs to pressure Kansas' Todd Reesing.

"I've been double-teamed and triple-teamed," he said. "I get hit by the tight end, the backs, the tackle and guard. They're throwing everything at me. I'm going to keep playing hard and the sacks are going to come sooner or later.

"But we're winning, and as long as we keep winning football games, it's all good."

If the Bulls, who have beaten UT-Martin and UCF, are going to improve to 3-0, a dominating effort from Selvie might be required.

When USF faces Kansas on Friday night, the Bulls' No. 1 concern is containing Jayhawks quarterback Todd Reesing.

"They have a great quarterback, so we have to do everything we can to stop him," Selvie said.

Last season, Reesing passed for 3,486 yards and 33 touchdowns en route to leading Kansas to a 12-1 finish and Orange Bowl victory. But last season he was protected by tackles Anthony Collins, an All-America, and Cesar Rodriguez, a three-year starter. Both are gone and have been replaced by redshirt freshmen Jeff Spikes and Jeremiah Hatch. Spikes, at left tackle, will line up across from Selvie.

Selvie said he's been cramming to learn as much about Spikes as possible for in-game conversation. Getting inside an offensive lineman's head makes it easier to get into a quarterback's face.

"I check out (the opposing tackle's) size, his weight. I find out where he went to high school," Selvie said. "I want to get a feel for the guy. I read his high school stats and all that stuff in the (media) guide. I'll find out all I can and try to use it against him."

For the record, Spikes is 6-6 and 314 pounds and attended Harvey High School in Painesville, Ohio. He was an all-state performer while helping his team finish 6-4 his senior year.

"I always talk to offensive linemen," Selvie continued. "We get into some decent conversations. If they're from a different state, I'll ask him if he's tired or if he's hot.

"I'm going to play hard. And because he's young, he might not be ready to play like we play."

USF has built its reputation by knocking off higher-ranked opponents. Last season, the Bulls upset No. 17 Auburn and No. 5 West Virginia. In '06, they defeated No. 7 West Virginia. In 2005, they beat No. 9 Louisville. They get another chance against the No. 13 Jayhawks, who defeated USF 13-7 in 2006. Since that game Kansas is 17-6 and USF is 17-7.

But a USF victory over Kansas wouldn't necessarily be considered an upset.

"We can't sneak up on anybody any more," Selvie said. "Everyone has seen us win big games. We're not just that team that plays down in Tampa anymore. Teams come prepared for us like any other big game."

Of course, Selvie is preparing, too.

"Every game is the biggest of my life," he said. "I love just going out there and getting after the quarterback. That's what our defense is about. (Kansas') offense can score some points and they have a great quarterback, so we've just got to get after him."

Archived