• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe Thinks Players Deserve A Cut Of Sales

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/sep/10/sp-grothe-thinks-players-deserve-a-cut-of-sales/sports-colleges-bulls/

By BRETT McMURPHY  | The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 10, 2008

TAMPA - University of South Florida QB Matt Grothe would like to get paid. Actually, he thinks all college athletes should be compensated for the amount of money each school makes from selling replica jerseys with a player's number on it.

"I definitely think so," Grothe said. "All the great college players that have had thousands of their jerseys sold. The schools are making a ton of profits off it; even the places that sell them are making money. I don't understand why players shouldn't get a small percentage."

Grothe's No. 8 jersey, DE George Selvie's No. 95 and RB Mike Ford's No. 26 are available. Other replica jerseys that can be purchased include: Florida's No. 15 (Tim Tebow) and No. 1 (Percy Harvin), West Virginia's No. 5 (Pat White) and Kansas' No. 5 (Todd Reesing).

"They are making money off us, but I never thought about it that way," Selvie said. "It would be great to have some money in my pocket from people buying my jersey. But I ain't really worried about it."

For years the NCAA has allowed Nike, Under Armour and adidas to sell specific jersey numbers, matching up with the school's best players. The reason is because Grothe's No. 8 USF jersey will sell much better than a generic No. 1 USF jersey.

"Under Armour makes money, USF makes money, I make money," said Jeff Fox, owner of It's Bucs and Bulls Heaven, USF's official retailer.

The NCAA forbids a licensed dealer from selling a replica jersey with the player's name on it. But there's nothing to stop an individual from going to another business and having a name put on the jersey, Fox said.

Last year, Fox's business sold 800 No. 8 USF jerseys, he said. Only two weeks into this season, it has already sold 350 No. 8 jerseys and 200 No. 95 jerseys. They cost between $49.99 and $65.99 each.

CNBC's Darren Rovell suggests taking the 8 percent royalty off the gross jersey price and giving four percent to the school and four percent to the player.

Based on Rovell's example, Grothe would be "owed" more than $1,500. Rovell estimates if 15,000 Tebow jerseys are sold, he would be "owed" $18,000.

"We're doing it now playing, so I don't understand why we wouldn't get it now," Grothe said. "But I don't see the college rules changing anytime soon, so I don't think I should expect to get any percentage of the money made off my jersey anytime soon."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  292

he goes to school for free...isnt that enough?

• Content Count:  3,403

Can't pay players for jersey sales because you'd set up a situation where a player would be upset about money being taken from him if he's benched.  Players would be even more pissed about not getting playing time.

Also, most of the players that sell a lot of jerseys will make millions in the NFL.

• Content Count:  106

Think of the impact on recruiting...

Come to our school, we sold 15,000 Tebow jerseys this last year.  At USF, they only sold 1,000 Grothe jerseys. 

Come play at UF and make more money.

Yeah, that is a problem.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Also you'd have guys ticked off if they weren't chosen to have a replica jersey on the market. How would, say, Taurus Johnson feel if he got passed over, or Tyrone McKenzie, or someone else. Money out of their pocket because of an arbitrary decision.

• Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  2

apparently Grothe's bad decision-making extends beyond 4th quarter clock management.

Matt, George, and the vast majority of players on our team receive full scholarships that include room and board on top of a free education.

the money they make either going on to the NFL [admittedly a very small minority] or entering the professional world with a college degree is the compensation they get for playing football.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

He is absolutely right.  USF sells its tickets through using Grothe's mug on billboards (2 years in a row) and sells number 8 jerseys simply because Grothe made the number famous.  If Grothe has a creer ending injury, he get's free USF schooling for the duration of his eligibility and pretty much the shaft after that.  USF just starts selling number 7 jerseys and starts pimping out BJ Daniels to sell its ****.

Two summers ago, USF had Grothe 's mug on billboards around town while he was slinging drinks at a bar just to get by . . . . . shameful **** if you ask me.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Think of the impact on recruiting...

Come to our school, we sold 15,000 Tebow jerseys this last year.  At USF, they only sold 1,000 Grothe jerseys. 

Come play at UF and make more money.

Yeah, that is a problem.

That's just it.  People want to shout down grothe when, in their hearts, they probably agree he has a point on principle.

The only reason kids can't get a stipend is because the NCAA schools would abuse the system and bribe kids and their families (more so than they do now).  Grothe's proposed policy doesn't exist because schools couldn't regulate themselves and their surrogates (boosters).

22 years later Boston College calls its resurgence in national stature "The Flutie Factor" - basically the prestige they gained through Doug Flutie's play. . . . . 22 fu*king years guys!

When we have this debate, I sometimes wonder if opponents of a stipend realize how much money these schools stand to make off players. . . . . In BC's case it is probably BILLIONS from Flutie alone.

• Content Count:  3,078

you show me a system that is fair in how the players are paid.... then maybe this discussion will matter...

• Content Count:  1,985

This has been a situation that just cannot be resolved.  The athlete on scholarship is getting school for free.  On the other hand big programs make Millions and Millions on them.  I feel like they should pool some of this money to be a stipend to all players on the team. 

Then the issue rises, UF, USC, UM, have big recruiting advantages as they have more money to spread around.  Of course, these programs already have the advantage of name and the biggest players are going there because of face time on camera etc.

Archived