• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Set to Open USF Soccer Stadium

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,409
  • Days Won:  471

Courtesy USF:

Bulls Set to Open USF Soccer Stadium

TAMPA – The University of South Florida women’s soccer team is slated for a busy weekend. On Thursday, Sept. 11, USF will open the newly renovated USF Soccer Stadium when they welcome the Stetson Hatters at 7:30 p.m., and then on Sunday, Sept. 14 the Bulls will host Illinois State at 1 p.m.

The Bulls come into the weekend with a 2-1-1 record after a 1-0 win over Kent State, last Friday. Junior Amanda McCormick took a precise crosser from freshman Rehana Murani and headed it to the back of the net for the game-winner. Junior goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi was sharp in goal for the Bulls as she collected four saves in the shutout. The shutout was Lofton-Malachi’s second of the season and seventh in her career .

This Thursday, the Bulls and Hatters will renew their annual in-state matchup after taking a year off in 2007 due to the game being cancelled due to weather. It was the first time the two schools haven’t met since USF started women’s soccer in 1996.

The Bulls lead the all-time series 9-2-1 record against Stetson and are 5-0-1 in the last six matchups with the last coming on Sept. 26, 2006. USF’s nine wins are the most against any one opponent.

In her eighth  season, Stetson head coach and former USF Assistant coach Julie Orlowski brings the Hatters to Tampa with an 0-4-0 record with tough loses to Miami, UNC Greensboro, North Carolina State and University of Hartford.

The Hatters are led by Tessa Gavilsky, who has two of the team’s three goals while only taking 10 shots. Heather Berg has registered the other goal for the Hatters.

In goal for the Hatters will be sophomore Andrea Garavaglia. Garavaglia is 0-3-0 while allowing six goals and stopping 19 shots.

In four contests, the Hatter’s have been outscored 11-3 and outshot 80-27.

USF will be the second game of the weekend for Illinois State, as the Redbirds will take on UCF on Friday evening in Orlando. This will be the first ever matchup between USF and ISU. Currently, the Redbirds’ record is even at 3-3-0. After starting the season 3-0, the Redbirds have been shutout at Northwestern, at Purdue and at UW-Milwaukee in their last three games.  The Redbirds are 2-3-0 on the road.

The Redbirds bring a balanced scoring attack with six different players tallying their six goals. In goal, junior Katie Grill-Donovan has a record of 2-3-0 in six games with a solid 1.09 goals against average. She has registered 25 saves in 495:00 minutes in goal.

For those who can’t make the game, follow the game on the USF Press Pass, which features live video and audio streaming or watch live stats. Both can be found at GoUSFBulls.com. Bulls fans will also be able to listen to the game on USF Press Pass and WBUL 1620, as the voice of  USF women’s soccer Garrett Woolvard calls the play by play.

For all your USF women’s soccer needs check out GoUSFBulls.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Excellent opportunity for the nervous students to get some student priority points.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

hopefully it'll sell out with the students needing their points!  this is a great system for getting attention to the other sports!

• Content Count:  3,103

any pictures of the new stadium?

any pictures of the new stadium?

I don't think they did anything with the stands.  I thought they were just making the field bigger.

• Content Count:  622

I dont think points are a problem for students. You can have 10 and still get a tix to the football games.

I dont think points are a problem for students. You can have 10 and still get a tix to the football games.

Which is sad, but in January for the NC game it's best to not have to worry about getting tickets.  ;)

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

The painted the stands, put in a nice scoreboard...they have done some nice upgrades to the stadium. It looks totally different. I'll be there.

Archived