• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The nationally televised game on ESPN2 cuts off KU’s cupcake diet:

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/Sep/20080908Spor002.asp

Hot topic: Jayhawks headed south

The last time Mark Mangino took his Kansas Jayhawks into the state of Florida, they came home with some credibility. It could happen again.

Eight months after surprising Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, No. 13 Kansas (2-0) heads back to the Sunshine State for a Friday night showdown with No. 19 South Florida (2-0). The nationally televised game on ESPN2 cuts off KU’s cupcake diet: The Bulls will be Kansas’ first ranked regular-season nonconference opponent since it played host to UCLA in 2001. That year, Terry Allen’s last as coach, the 14th-ranked Bruins blasted KU 41-17.

"There’s no question they’d match up with some of the teams in our league this season," Mangino said of Jim Leavitt’s USF program, which climbed to No. 2 last year before losing three in a row. "I think South Florida would hold their own in any league."

Friday’s game will be the first major test for KU redshirt freshman offensive tackles Jeff Spikes and Jeremiah Hatch, one of whom will have to block South Florida All-American defensive end George Selvie, whose 14½ sacks ranked second nationally last year.

"He’s one of the most highly respected defensive ends in the country," Mangino said. "It’s a challenge for us. I think our kids will be up for the challenge. We have to be playing our best to handle George."

Coming off lopsided wins over Florida International and Louisiana Tech, Mangino has been pleased with both rookie tackles. The Jayhawks’ running game, though, hasn’t come close to matching its success from last year. Kansas is averaging just 3.7 yards per carry, which ranks 10th in the Big 12 Conference through two weeks.

"We haven’t run the ball as effectively as I’d like for us to," Mangino said. "On the other hand, we’re throwing the ball so well. We’re facing a situation where, ‘Are we being patient enough for the run game?’ The second question is, ‘Do we need to be patient enough for the run game?’ As long as the run game can complement the pass game, we feel good about it."

Tailbacks Angus Quigley and Jocques Crawford have taken turns being KU’s leading ball-carrier - a trend that could continue, said Mangino, who added that Jake Sharp, the team’s most experienced back, will remain a complimentary option.

• Content Count:  7

Unlike USF, KU actually plays in a conference with a plethora of top 10 teams.

Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas could all be in the top 10 after this weekend. Texas Tech is very close and in the top 15. KState will likely end up ranked after this weekend.

Kansas plays all of them.

Traditional powers like Colorado and Nebraska also aren't going to just roll over either, even though they're not as strong as they are in the past.

How's the big least treating you?

• Content Count:  2,478

Big East is treating us the same way the Big 12 is treating you because at the moment you haven't played any conference opponents. So there is no argument there. Yeah, the Big East is down but you guys only played one of those teams you listed last year, which you lost to.

• Content Count:  7

Big East is treating us the same way the Big 12 is treating you because at the moment you haven't played any conference opponents. So there is no argument there. Yeah, the Big East is down but you guys only played one of those teams you listed last year, which you lost to.

Sometimes the schedule breaks that way.

Kansas State was ranked when KU beat them last year. Nebraska had just left the rankings a week or so before playing us (and we dished out the worst spanking in Husker history)

OSU and TAMU were tough. Can't help how the conference schedule breaks with the unbalanced.

We're taking it in the ass this year to make up for it

• Content Count:  2,478

Yeah, so that is how the conference falls for us this season. You really just seconded what I said. We can't control how the conference falls any given year. We like to have other fans come on and have some nice discussions. But don't troll.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Sometimes the schedule breaks that way.

Kansas State was ranked when KU beat them last year. Nebraska had just left the rankings a week or so before playing us (and we dished out the worst spanking in Husker history)

OSU and TAMU were tough. Can't help how the conference schedule breaks with the unbalanced.

We're taking it in the ass this year to make up for it

dont be disappointed when your team loses this week. and after they do, i doubt you ever show your face on this board

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

are you trying to be an ***** or is that just your true self?

What ive experienced from the little message board contact is that Kansas fans are pompous ignorant pricks. This guy seems to be no exception.

• Content Count:  571

haha what a joke. wouldn't you be pissed off all the time if you lived in Kansas?

• Content Count:  3,827

Unlike USF, KU actually plays in a conference with a plethora of top 10 teams.

Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas could all be in the top 10 after this weekend. Texas Tech is very close and in the top 15. KState will likely end up ranked after this weekend.

Kansas plays all of them.

Traditional powers like Colorado and Nebraska also aren't going to just roll over either, even though they're not as strong as they are in the past.

How's the big least treating you?

Funny, no mention of last year's schedule(you know, the only year in which you were good) which did not include Oklahoma or Texas...

• Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  2

the difference between the Big East and the Big XII is that Big East teams ALL play eachother, year in and year out, whether the conference is up [the previous 2 seasons] or down [this season].

Big XII teams, as we saw last year with Kansas' Matrix-like bullet-dodging schedule, frequently avoid many of the conference's better teams...  i'm not downing the conference OR the Kansas squad, but citing Nebraska and KSU as your big in-conference wins isn't exactly a compelling argument.

we have no choice but to play WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, regardless of whether they are having up or down years.

the fact that the Big East champs have beaten the SEC, ACC and Big XII champs the last three seasons since realignment more than demonstrates the competitiveness of our league.

and if we beat the team that beat your conference champs, i don't see where the argument is that we are somehow soft because of one down year in the BEast.

Archived