• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ECU and Delware

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

ok so people talk about this merging crap all the time but i saw this thread on cbssportsline and thought it was interesting to say the least......ive never heard of anyone mentioning delaware before......

the way i see it we couldn't add anymore teams because are basketball confernce is already to big.....and we cant add villanova cause there school is too small and i dont think they want to fund a fbs football team....

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I'm for expansion of the Big East just as long as we can add quality teams on the football side and still keep the basketball side happy which will be hard.

I suppose they could add schools just as football only schools to the mix, it would be nice if Notre Dame would give up the Independent football crap and just join but I doubt they are willing to give up there lucrative TV contract, but if they keep loosing that will happen anyway.

As far as ECU I think they would be a good addition towards making a Southern Division within the Big East which is currently almost all Northern teams - however I'm not sure I know enough about Delaware to comment on them.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

This is another topic that has been beat to death on here.

There's no real chance Notre Dam's football team will join the BEast.  The only way to really expand because the conference is so big outside of football would be to throw out another school.  I don't think the Basketball schools will want to add another hand to the pot of gold they have.

I don't think anyone will really get voted out, although St. Johns and some other BBall schools haven't been pulling much weight lately.  I just don't see a University going forward with a motion to oust someone.  It could really come back to burn you later.

The team that seams the most likely to get in would be Memphis.  Their football team is mediocre, but they have a top flight basketball program.  Their football team could grow with the BCS tag, a la USF.

I don't see anything that would force such drastic change though.  The only thing that might cause a shake up is if the football school pulled entirely out of the basket and Olympic sports realm, but it would be a logistical nightmare to get other Olympic schools in that are any good.  If that were to happen every sport, but football would take a nosedive and I'm not sure Syracuse and UConn would be cool with leaving behind BEast Basketball.

The only way a monstrous change would happen would be if a big name program got in the mix.  Say UM, BC, and Va Tech wanted to come back to the BEast.  That's really the only situation I could see the BEast making any changes.

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

Delaware's one I've never heard in the mix before. I think we're still many years away from them being a viable option--they still play IAA ball--**** good IAA ball, but IAA ball nonetheless. I believe they've certainly got most of the infrastructure (perhaps not entirely physical--their stadium seats around 22K) and certainly the fanbase and following in place to make the leap to IA--especially in a state that has no IA teams--but certainly not a BCS conference quite yet. If anyone were to make that direct leap, it'd likely be someone who is already in the conference for everyone else (Villanova or G'town)

Archived