• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reasons not to Worry(as much)

mikebeau

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

After last nights game their are plenty of reasons to worry.  Bad Special teams, bad play calling, letting UCF play us close.  But I'm willing to give this week a pass for the following reasons.

1.  We play Kansas next.  It seems like the offense went through the motions once we were up by two touchdowns.  Maybe it was terrible play calling.  I am willing to say they may have been holding back pages of the playbook for next week.

2.  This was Orlando's Superbowl.  UCF had the crowd, the trampoline and 64 other reasons to get motivated to play like there's no tomorrow.  Because really, there is no tomorrow against us.

edit  3.  Almost Forgot.  Ford didn't touch the field.

Other note:  Special teams was horrible.  But I wonder if playing so many starters on Special Teams has backfired.  I'm seeing Tyrone McKenzie and the sort running down on return coverage.  Do they have the legs for it after starting the whole game?

• Content Count:  21,556
  • Days Won:  41

Definitely trying to stay positive but that ending of the game was almost a disaster.  The good thing about the Kansas game is that I am assuming Ray Jay is going to get pre-crunked up and bring the 12th man.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,859
  • Days Won:  109

After last nights game their are plenty of reasons to worry.  Bad Special teams, bad play calling, letting UCF play us close.  But I'm willing to give this week a pass for the following reasons.

1.  We play Kansas next.  It seems like the offense went through the motions once we were up by two touchdowns.  Maybe it was terrible play calling.  I am willing to say they may have been holding back pages of the playbook for next week.

2.  This was Orlando's Superbowl.  UCF had the crowd, the trampoline and 64 other reasons to get motivated to play like there's no tomorrow.  Because really, there is no tomorrow against us.

Other note:  Special teams was horrible.  But I wonder if playing so many starters on Special Teams has backfired.  I'm seeing Tyrone McKenzie and the sort running down on return coverage.  Do they have the legs for it after starting the whole game?

After the Tn-Martin game everyone was raving about Marcus Edwards' returns.  I believe I posted saying to wait and see how we did against UCF.  That question has been answered.  2 returns for 2 yards in the stats in the paper.

As for the play calling, this gets addressed here in the board every week/year.  We, as fans, have to just get used to the fact that there is nothing else in the playbook.  At least we are running a few more Grothe under center I formations. 

We had some friends over to watch the game last night.  One guy is a Michigan State fan but has moved here and wants to follow the Bulls.  He is a fan of the Spread formation.  So the first time they got into it last night he as all psyched.  I told him that we'll probably run a quarterback draw.  And when they did he thought I was some freakin' genius.  I told him "Not even close.  They run that 70% of the time from that formation."  I may have exagerated a bit on 70%, but when I know what plays are coming (I never played organized football) you know the opponent does.

• Content Count:  112

edit  3.  Almost Forgot.  Ford didn't touch the field.

1.  Add in there bad pass coverage late (2 touchdowns that shouldn't have happened.

2.  What about a kicker who raps better than kicks?

3.  Also bad play calling late is an understatement-almost cost us the game- who calls a pass play on that 2nd Down in the 4th?

• Content Count:  2,461

As for the play calling, this gets addressed here in the board every week/year.  We, as fans, have to just get used to the fact that there is nothing else in the playbook.  At least we are running a few more Grothe under center I formations. 

I wouldn't go that far...yet... We have our biggest OOC game this year on Friday. If we see nothing new, I'll give it to you!

:)

3.  Also bad play calling late is an understatement-almost cost us the game- who calls a pass play on that 2nd Down in the 4th?

LOL but hey that gave us some time to drive down the field and almost win the game with that field goal?  Ugh...

DELAY OF GAME DELAY OF GAME DELAY OF GAME DELAY OF GAME DELAY OF GAME DELAY OF GAME

Ricky, I saw the same thing... four WRs bunched up to the left and one to the right... I turned to my seatmates and said this looks like a designed run for Grothe.

• Content Count:  1,027

Ricky, I saw the same thing... four WRs bunched up to the left and one to the right... I turned to my seatmates and said this looks like a designed run for Grothe.

I think a lot of Bulls turned to the people they were watching the game with and said the same thing.  Those cute pass formations aren't really all that deceptive unless we occasionally pass from them.

I think a lot of Bulls turned to the people they were watching the game with and said the same thing.  Those cute pass formations aren't really all that deceptive unless we occasionally pass from them.

Don't forget the cool goal line formation that was an obvious pass play since we don't pound in runs.  Then we went to the frightening option play.

• Content Count:  1,894

lol that option play was terrible. The funny thing was our rb could of leaped all those stupid defenders for a td. The funny thing was we normally run that those from alittle closer to the goalline so we knew we were passing there. Im a big fan of spreading out the defense in that range. It lets grothe get on the move and potentially defenders break coverage.

Archived