• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GOOD things about tonight

BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not trying to be a negative person. In other threads, I seem negative because is annoys me that others are complacent with these close wins that have no business beeing close, when they can easily lead to losses (see: 2007, 2006, etc). We obviously have things to work on and things to correct. This thread isn't about that. This is about the things we did well tonight, of which there were many.

Our defense gave up only 230 yards, including under 80 on the ground.

Defense allowed ZERO points when UCF was not given a short field due to turnovers or big kick/punt returns.

We held UCF to 5-16 on third downs. We need to get our defense of the field when given the opportunity, and we did a good job.

Alvarado averaged over 46 yards on his punts (though needs to work on directional kicking)

Grothe with 350 pass yards, with three TDs and two picks (one that was a pick because of an incorrect route)

Offense had over 500 yards. This is very good.

TJ was CLUTCH, with a career-high 143 yards receiving

Mo' averaged 6.5 YPC, and Kelly was running over people and averaging over 4 per.

Oh....and we won.

• Content Count:  1,165

Bumping to the top before bed to reinforce the positives of tonight

• Content Count:  971

I liked the maturity our guys displayed in not retaliating (for the most part) in the face of all the UCiF unsportsmanlike conduct.  And I liked that we won by a gnat's ass.  Probably hurts them even more.  There is no online fan base more deserving of the pain they heap upon themselves.

• Content Count:  971

and Grothe smoked the Four Aces like a cheap cigar!

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

We did many good things last night. It's too bad the last 3 minutes overshadowed that. Matt was hitting on some deep precision with good precision and the defense was playing tough. The interior of the D line had some nice push.

• Content Count:  1,457

I'm not trying to be a negative person. In other threads, I seem negative because is annoys me that others are complacent with these close wins that have no business beeing close, when they can easily lead to losses (see: 2007, 2006, etc). We obviously have things to work on and things to correct. This thread isn't about that. This is about the things we did well tonight, of which there were many.

Our defense gave up only 230 yards, including under 80 on the ground.

Defense allowed ZERO points when UCF was not given a short field due to turnovers or big kick/punt returns.

We held UCF to 5-16 on third downs. We need to get our defense of the field when given the opportunity, and we did a good job.

Alvarado averaged over 46 yards on his punts (though needs to work on directional kicking)

Grothe with 350 pass yards, with three TDs and two picks (one that was a pick because of an incorrect route)

Offense had over 500 yards. This is very good.

TJ was CLUTCH, with a career-high 143 yards receiving

Mo' averaged 6.5 YPC, and Kelly was running over people and averaging over 4 per.

Oh....and we won.

These are good things.  Taurus was excellent and Grothe was very good.  Selvie, Buie, T-Mac were very good.  Love and Mitchell were below average.  Mo was decent and Taylor needed to sit it out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

... I seem negative because is annoys me that others are complacent with these close wins that have no business beeing close, ...

Some threads I don't waste my time ...

And I don't think any are complacent, it's just that "a win is a win" ... we know we dodged a bullet. We gave up and UCF didn't. But we did enough to win, move on and get ready to play Kansas. We play better at home and we need to learn to keep our feet on team's throats.

Okay, my good thing list :

We won  ;D

• Content Count:  2,461

Don't you know, according to others a close win means you were "out coached."  ::)

• Content Count:  159

I think a great thing about tonight is that people are going to 'continue' to overlook us.

ESPN and other media will continue to give us 1/10th of the coverage of some other teams not ranked as high as us. A lot of these teams will continue to lose, just as the top-10 and top-20 teams keep getting knocked off. ESPN and analysts will believe that we almost lost to UCF so we are surely going to lose to Kansas...and then when we beat Kansas, they will criticize us for our lack of ranked teams in our schedule ahead. They will give us the obligatory coverage, but nothing of substance.

Great. Fine. Great. Go ahead. Let us fly under the radar.

Criticize and wait until we are in the top-10 again. Then they will jump on the bandwagon...again.

I think getting to number 2 last year was a lot of pressure for the first time and it may have impacted the team. If we can have a slow rise to the top and flying under the radar (by being dismissed as 'almost losing to UCF' and 'ease of schedule') we may be able to get into the top 10 or top 5 again and stay there.

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

We won't have to play UCF for a long time.

Archived