• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF has 5th longest streak as a "pt. spread favorite"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I don't know if I like this distinction.  Up to now, the team doesn't seem to like it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3552701&sportCat=ncf

Excerpt from the link:

Permafave

Entering the season, these are the schools with the longest active streaks being favored against I-A opponents:

LSU (19). Streak: 21 games. Record in that time: 19-2. Ugly moment: Overtime loss at Kentucky last year. Why so long: Overwhelming talent, because the Tigers have not scheduled timidly out of conference (until this year).

Oklahoma (20). Streak: 20 games. Record in that time: 16-4. Ugly moment: Stunning loss at unranked Colorado last year. Why so long: When you're the Sooners, you're expected to win every game (with the occasional exception of Texas in Dallas).

Clemson (21). Streak: 11 games. Record in that time: 7-4. Ugly moment: Scoring three points at unranked Georgia Tech last year. Why so long: Faulty oddsmaking. Tommy Bowden is awfully shaky when his team is favored.

BYU (22). Streak: 10 games. Record in that time: 9-1. Ugly moment: Surrendering 55 points to Tulsa early last season. Why so long: Consistent Cougars were the class of the MWC in 2007.

South Florida (23). Streak: nine games. Record in that time: 5-4. Ugly moment: Being routed by injured Oregon in the Sun Bowl last year. Why so long: Surprising run as a favorite shows the Bulls cannot play the Underdog Program card so well anymore -- and their record in that time shows that they're not very comfortable without having that card to play.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

How can we have an active streak???

Was Oregon favored in the Sun Bowl by more than 35????

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  0

How can we have an active streak???

Was Oregon favored in the Sun Bowl by more than 35????

They're saying that we've played 9 straight I-A games where we were the favorite going into the game. In those 9 games we are 5-4 (the 4 being Rutgers, UConn, Cincy and Oregon last season).

Ok, I get it.

Atleat we're over 0.500

That streak should carry on for the next 11 games.  Hopefully we'll make it 16-4 record, which looks a lot better.

Then pending how WVU looks this year it could be the next 12 games.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  0

Agreed. I think if we take care of our business we'll get at least the "home team" favorite spot for the Kansas and Pitt games. Pending records the only games I could see us being the underdog going in are Cincy and WVU.

Agreed. I think if we take care of our business we'll get at least the "home team" favorite spot for the Kansas and Pitt games. Pending records the only games I could see us being the underdog going in are Cincy and WVU.

If Cincy beats Oklahoma there's a chance they may be favored because of home field.  If we lose to Kansas and Pitt we wont be favored there.  If we lose to Kansas or Pitt I think we will be unless Cincy is undefeated.  If we're both undefeated I think we get the nod as Cincy is perennially overlooked at by everyone.

Archived