• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skyhawks on a business trip

On_the_Chip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.utmsports.com/fullstory.cfm?id=3282&sport=Football

FOOTBALL TEAM SET FOR BUSINESS TRIP TO RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM, NATIONALLY RANKED UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA

August 27, 2008

MARTIN, Tenn. - Jason Simpson, the third-year head football coach at The University of Tennessee at Martin, is taking his Skyhawks on a business trip to Tampa, Fla. Thursday afternoon. The only thing on the agenda is a showdown at 6 p.m. Saturday with the University of South Florida in Raymond James Stadium.

Simpson will be the first to tell you all about the challenges not listed on the agenda.

The Bulls competed in the BCS, the Bowl Championship Subdivision.

The Bulls are nationally ranked (19th by the Associated Press).

The Bulls feature consensus All-American George Selvie on defense and potential Heisman Trophy candidate Matt Grothe at quarterback.

And, well that's enough.

"This is a reward for our players," Simpson said. "We want to represent our university the best we can. Obviously this is a tremendous financial opportunity for our program and the university."

And that's as much as Simpson wants to offer about the game guarantee.

As for the battle on the field, Simpson and his staff have said there are a couple of keys to the game. "We cannot turn the ball over and we have to make big plays on special teams if we want a chance to win," Simpson said.

The Skyhawks must also protect junior quarterback Cade Thompson. Simpson said USF will play six players in the box and rush the quarterback all night.

Simpson says he very excited about his 2008 Skyhawks. "We have depth and athleticism. I like the team chemistry and I like their maturity."

As the Skyhawks make the trek to Tampa, most of them will remember how fall camp opened and watching the documentary on Appalachian State's journey to Michigan and the great upset over the host Wolverines.

"We would love to see a similar result Saturday night, but more importantly we would all like to have a program that is similar to Appalachian State's and their three national championships," Simpson said.

Saturday's game can be heard on WCMT-FM (101.3). Tom Britt and Chris Brinkley will call all the action.

The game will be televised live on ESPN Regional and it is available nationally on the pay-per-view service ESPN Gameplan. Dave Weekley and Doug Graber will call the action.

• Content Count:  760

That Appalachian State reference will never go away for these games will it?

Hopefully it just shows our players that anything is possible. No one wants to be the next 2007 Michigan Wolverines.

• Content Count:  2,726

Hopefully it just shows our players that anything is possible. No one wants to be the next 2007 Michigan Wolverines.

Nobody!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Personally im happy for the guys at UTM. It's a great opportunity to come to other established programs and tee off. I hope they take in as much as possible from the experience which in return can make them a better ball club. I wish all 1 AA teams the best in games like this, as long as USF wins though. To UTM these games are their super bowl.

• Content Count:  2,523

I just hope the fans there show them respect while we beat them down and be gracious hosts.  Last thing you want is for "tampa trash" to get perpetuated from a 1-AA game in Tennessee.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,859
  • Days Won:  109

If I'm the coach, I break out that reference every game. When we are favored, remind them that every team comes in to win.  When you are the 'dog let them know anything is possible.  Most coaches probably say something to that effect every game, but the App St / Michigan game is something tangible to point to.

• Content Count:  1,985

CJL has to remind them of all the teams we knocked off as underdogs.  That it was done with passion as much as skill, and that if we do not have that passion we could be beat.  The App State chant is in every 1_AA programs lockerroom.  I hope we come out hard and ready to play like it was a national championship.  They will.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,859
  • Days Won:  109

CJL has to remind them of all the teams we knocked off as underdogs.  That it was done with passion as much as skill, and that if we do not have that passion we could be beat.  The App State chant is in every 1_AA programs lockerroom.  I hope we come out hard and ready to play like it was a national championship.  They will.

I like your speech.  You've fired me up.  I'm ready to go out and tailgate like it was the Super Bowl. 

Just glad you didn't say "like it was the Sun Bowl"    ;)

Archived