• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Human Humvee: Ben Williams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/cfb-news/12486

USF and UTM: This could get ugly

The University of South Florida football team got a taste of the high life last season -- as high as No. 2 in The Associated Press poll at one point.

The Bulls reached that rarefied altitude after winning their first six 2007 games (including stunning victories over West Virginia and Auburn) and found themselves just one rung removed from the pinnacle of their sport. Apparently, the view from there unnerved them, because Jim Leavitt's gang promptly lost to Rutgers, Connecticut and Cincinnati and tumbled out of the rankings all together.

After rebounding with convincing routs of Syracuse and Louisville and a successful shootout with Pitt, climbing back to No. 21 and earning a Sun Bowl bid, the Bulls then took it on the chin from unranked Oregon, 56-21.

So incentives remain from last season, and so do 10 of 11 offensive starters and most of the defense -- all of which does not bode well for Saturday's opening opponent, the University of Tennessee-Martin (7 p.m., Raymond James Stadium).

"This is a reward for our players," said Skyhawks coach James Simpson.

Could be he didn't tell them about George Selvie, who had 14.5 sacks and over 30 tackles for loss last season and is considered the most lethal pass rusher in the college game since Elvis Dumervil (and, before him, Dwight Freeney). Or about Tyrone McKenzie, who had 121 tackles last season. Or quarterback Matt Grothe, a Heisman Trophy candidate.

True, the Bulls lost Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, generally considered the top cornerback duo in the country, but Tyller Roberts and Jerome Murphy appear to be more-than-adequate replacements. Moreover, Jenkins and Williams had little to do with the fact that USF allowed only eight rushing touchdowns all last season.

UTM quarterback Cade Thompson has had his own glimpse of the big time, as well, spending a year at the University of South Carolina and performing nicely in the Garnet & Black game in 2006. A native of Marysville, Tenn., he was compelled by a lack of playing time and perhaps a bit of homesickness to join the Ohio Valley Conference Skyhawks, throwing for over 1,000 yards (and only three interceptions) last season. His two top receivers, Roren Thomas and Dexter Akbar, return, but last year's leading rusher is gone.

USF originally intended to plug leading McKenzie into the middle linebacker spot to replace Ben Moffitt, but junior college transfer Kion Wilson performed so well there in preseason that McKenzie finally stayed where he was.

One mild surprise from the depth chart had human Humvee Ben Williams (5-foot-7, 200 pounds) climbing to the top of the running back chart over the more publicized Mike Ford. Leavitt says Ford will still get his touches, though, as will a trio of talented backups.

The Bulls started sluggishly against Elon in last season's opener, winning just 28-13. This one could be a lot uglier -- although its offense topped the OVC last season, UT-Martin also surrendered more than 30 points a game. Grothe and friends could produce that in a half.

Still, James Simpson appeared to have all this in perspective.

"Obviously, this is a tremendous financial opportunity for our school," he said.

And, oh yes, his team has seen the documentary about Appalachian State and Michigan.

It won't matter.

Realfootball365 prediction: USF 52, UT-Martin 10.

I love that line, Human Humvee....

• Content Count:  2,461

I hope the game is close.

That way, we'll be hungry for a big win for the UCiF game.

If we blow out UTM, we might go into UCiF a little too cocky.

• Content Count:  2,523

No way.  We need to be like the bad guys in the karate kid movie...SHOW NO MERCY.  MERCY IS FOR THE WEAK!

We need to KILL and STOMP every last breath out of every opponent in every game we're winning so we condition our boys mentally to what it takes to play at a high level on EVERY PLAY of EVERY QUARTER of EVERY GAME. 

Want to know why we lost those three games last year in a row?  We thought we could "flip a switch" instead of being mentally tough like big time programs in loaded years which are angry you even showed up on the field and take you're being there as a lack of respect akin with sodomizing your family.

Until we hang 30 on these guys IN THE FIRST HALF, I don't want to see any starters come out.  If we don't have 40 by the end of the 3rd quarter, THEY STAY IN until they do.  Regardless of what UTM has.  They have to EARN their way off the field or put someone in who wants it bad enough to PILLAGE the opponent.

They're getting a GREAT payday for their trouble and it's our DUTY to beat them senseless.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

LOL @ Human Humvee.

i love Ben, but a Humvee wouldn't get tackled a couple feet from the line of scrimmage.

the "Human H3" is a slight possibility.

No way.  We need to be like the bad guys in the karate kid movie...SHOW NO MERCY.  MERCY IS FOR THE WEAK!

We need to KILL and STOMP every last breath out of every opponent in every game we're winning so we condition our boys mentally to what it takes to play at a high level on EVERY PLAY of EVERY QUARTER of EVERY GAME. 

Want to know why we lost those three games last year in a row?  We thought we could "flip a switch" instead of being mentally tough like big time programs in loaded years which are angry you even showed up on the field and take you're being there as a lack of respect akin with sodomizing your family.

Until we hang 30 on these guys IN THE FIRST HALF, I don't want to see any starters come out.  If we don't have 40 by the end of the 3rd quarter, THEY STAY IN until they do.  Regardless of what UTM has.  They have to EARN their way off the field or put someone in who wants it bad enough to PILLAGE the opponent.

They're getting a GREAT payday for their trouble and it's our DUTY to beat them senseless.

I hear ya, but unless the Bulls deviate from the mindset they've had for a decade, I don't see it happening.

I really wish we'd play up to our potential for every game.

• Content Count:  2,523

This is where Leavitt really can grow as a HC.  He's GREAT at spotting talent and building a "family", but his greatest strength is his biggest weakness when it comes to installing that merciless mindset.    That conservative nature is what killed us in those games last year that were winnable, but the team was mismanaged horribly.  I'm loyal, so I'll live and die with CJL, but I hope he's learned a few things from last season bc he really showed his lack of big time experience in those games.  But hey!  I'd take him as our coach any day of the week even with these flaws as long as he can show he can grow from them.  That or we need a OC that can save him from himself...

This is where Leavitt really can grow as a HC.  He's GREAT at spotting talent and building a "family", but his greatest strength is his biggest weakness when it comes to installing that merciless mindset.    That conservative nature is what killed us in those games last year that were winnable, but the team was mismanaged horribly.  I'm loyal, so I'll live and die with CJL, but I hope he's learned a few things from last season bc he really showed his lack of big time experience in those games.  But hey!  I'd take him as our coach any day of the week even with these flaws as long as he can show he can grow from them.  That or we need a OC that can save him from himself...

You pretty much nailed what I thought about Dungy in Tampa Bay.

567209es0.jpg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

I really do hope the coaches let our players go hard !

Do hope Leavitt has changed in this aspect.

Go BULLS !!!

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Anyone who knows Coach Leavitt is not mildly surprised that Ben Williams is the starter.

Coach Leavitt & staff have consistently given the nod to seniors with GOBS less talent than underclassmen who play the same position.

Archived