• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt Ready to Unleash Bulls

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's About time!  ;D

USF

Leavitt Ready to Unleash Bulls

Published: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 10:40 p.m.

TAMPA | College football fans have the tendency to get pumped up well before the ball gets kicked off at the end of a typical game week.

As the season-opening batch of games are steadily approaching this week, they aren't the only ones chomping at the bit to get started.

South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt sounded like he was ready to lead his Bulls out of the tunnel Tuesday during an on-campus media luncheon in Tampa.

"Me, I'm on edge. You can tell, I'm just like you know 'come on let's go. Let's get going and let's play,' " said Leavitt. "I enjoy being out at practice and all that, but all the other stuff, I just want to kick off and play and get going. I would imagine the players are that way."

Leavitt, his players and Bulls fans will have to wait just a little bit longer. South Florida's season opener against Tennessee-Martin is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start Saturday at Raymond James Stadium.

The growing anticipation of South Florida fans could be fueled by the team's already historic start. The Bulls head into the season ranked in the top 25 for the first time in school history. South Florida sits 19th in the Associated Press preseason rankings and is 21st in the USA Today/Coaches poll.

Despite the growing national attention, Leavitt's team has been taking a business-as-usual approach to the season.

"You really don't talk about it much because we all know it's how you finish and how you play through the season that means everything," said Leavitt. "We really haven't even talked about it. We've been so busy trying to focus on practice, focus on what's going on that day... It's really not a factor as far as I'm concerned."

Kicking Roles Defined

The Bulls are going with experience over youth at kicking positions heading into the season.

Leavitt said junior Delbert Alvarado will be handling the placekicking duties, along with serving as the team's punter.

Alvarado had been competing for the kicking job with former Lake Wales High School standout Maikon Bonani during training camp.

Despite not getting the starting nod, the freshman could be called upon down the road.

"Maikon Bonani has been pretty impressive," said Leavitt. "We're going to have him ready. He's going to dress and be ready to go."

Senior Justin Teachey will be the Bulls' kickoff man once again. Teachey kicked off 72 times for South Florida last season and averaged 61.6 yards per attempt.

Grothe on USF's Growth

A starting quarterback is usually a good person to ask about media attention.

Matt Grothe gets a lot of it on a personal level and has noticed the growth of South Florida's buzz, especially this off-season.

"Media day was a little different this year than it's been in the past," the former Lake Gibson star said Tuesday during his time in front of the cameras. "It's a fun experience every year, especially to see how much the program grows and how much more attention we're getting from everybody."

Grothe also pointed out the recent billboard photo shoot as a "pretty cool" experience. Grothe and other Bulls can be seen on roadside billboards promoting USF's new season.

[ Tom Zebold can be reached at tom.zebold@theledger.com or at 863-802-7553. ]

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080826/NEWS/808260390/1254&title=Leavitt_Ready_to_Unleash_Bulls

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

I think everyone is ready to get this thing started.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

GOOD!!! Let's not start off with a muffed kickoff again and fizzle early.  Take it down the field and put this game to rest before ESPN pins the score up with "UPSET ALERT"  next to it.

• Content Count:  66,110
  • Days Won:  172

it is exciting season is starting but

it is hard to get excited playing martin university and it wont be fun seeing the better teams stuff grothe and our offense

• Content Count:  21,474
  • Days Won:  10

it is hard to get excited playing martin university and it wont be fun seeing the better teams stuff grothe and our offense

You are a piece of work. 

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

You are a piece of work. 

Piece of S*** is more like it...    I CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT FOR FOOTBALL !!!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I bet some Michigan fans weren't too excited about playing Appalachian State before the game.  ;D

UT Martin on Saturday is playing its highest ranked opponent in school history when visiting a South Florida team that is No. 19 in the FBS.

“It’s a financial windfall for us,†UT Martin coach Jason Simpson said. “Yes, we do receive a portion of the money but it obviously goes back to the athletic department. We do spend a lot of money. We have a lot of money in scholarships and facilities.â€

Simpson showed his Skyhawks a video of last year’s Appalachian State upset of Michigan as a motivation.

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2008/08/26/sports/doc48b4ca1de82e4894017982.txt

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I bet some Michigan fans weren't too excited about playing Appalachian State before the game.  ;D

UT Martin on Saturday is playing its highest ranked opponent in school history when visiting a South Florida team that is No. 19 in the FBS.

“It’s a financial windfall for us,†UT Martin coach Jason Simpson said. “Yes, we do receive a portion of the money but it obviously goes back to the athletic department. We do spend a lot of money. We have a lot of money in scholarships and facilities.â€

Simpson showed his Skyhawks a video of last year’s Appalachian State upset of Michigan as a motivation.

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2008/08/26/sports/doc48b4ca1de82e4894017982.txt

I'd be willing to bet Leavitt might show that one to the Bulls too.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Tennessee-Martin is an awfully good team.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

You are a piece of work. 

I was thinking "what a tool".....

Archived