• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's sack master Selvie looks for more

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

George Selvie is neither the strongest nor the quickest defensive end in college football. But few players can match the motor on the reigning Big East defensive player of the year.

Selvie is always revved up, from the first whistle of practice to the final snap of a game. His unsurpassed work ethic allowed him to lead the nation with 31.5 sacks and finish second in the country with 14.5 sacks.

For that, Selvie thanks his father, George Sr., a 20-year Navy man who brought military-style discipline to his family's household.

"My dad always made us work hard," Selvie said. "There was no sleeping in on Saturday morning. We had to get up at 7 a.m. and do chores, and when we finished by 2 p.m. we'd have to do yard work. He'd always find something to keep us busy.

"It was ridiculous stuff, too. We had to clean things that were already clean. He'd say, 'Aw, you can do it better. Everything can always be done better.'"

Those lessons stuck, and now the South Florida star is looking to improve on his sensational sophomore season. Selvie says his goal this year is 20 sacks, which would tie for the second-highest total in Division I-A since the NCAA officially started keeping those records in 2000.

That's an especially lofty goal when you consider that every one of the Bulls' 2008 opponents has probably already drawn up ways to stop him. They certainly did last season when Selvie morphed from a virtual unknown into a sack virtuoso. He had 8.5 sacks in the Bulls' first three games but managed only four in Big East play as teams made sure to throw double-teams his way.

"It was tough on me at first when I started feeling it happening," he said. "But then I realized that it's not just me, it's the whole defense. If I've got a double team, that just means somebody else is coming free."

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said he doesn't mind if other teams occupy themselves with slowing Selvie.

"If they're going to put a couple on George, then Terrell McClain or Aaron Harris or Jarrett Buie from the other side can make plays," Leavitt said, referring to his other starting D-linemen. "George ain't the only guy we got out there on defense."

Selvie's not going to just give in, though. He put on 15 pounds in the offseason to get himself up to 245. Now he has something else to use besides quickness and never-ending hustle.

"Last year, sometimes I'd be going against big guys like [former Pittsburgh tackle Jeff] Otah, and it would be easy for them just to give me a hand slap and I'd go flying outside," he said. "This year, I should be more stout, play the run a little bit better and sustain my ground more."

And as his father taught him, it's never time to quit. Everything can always be done better.

"I know people are going to be coming after me," he said. "But I don't want to set my goals low. I want to aim high."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-0-69/USF-s-sackmaster-Selvie-looks-for-more.html

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

George Selvie is neither the strongest nor the quickest defensive end in college football. But few players can match the motor on the reigning Big East defensive player of the year.

Selvie is always revved up, from the first whistle of practice to the final snap of a game. His unsurpassed work ethic allowed him to lead the nation with 31.5 sacks and finish second in the country with 14.5 sacks.

For that, Selvie thanks his father, George Sr., a 20-year Navy man who brought military-style discipline to his family's household.

"My dad always made us work hard," Selvie said. "There was no sleeping in on Saturday morning. We had to get up at 7 a.m. and do chores, and when we finished by 2 p.m. we'd have to do yard work. He'd always find something to keep us busy.

"It was ridiculous stuff, too. We had to clean things that were already clean. He'd say, 'Aw, you can do it better. Everything can always be done better.'"

Those lessons stuck, and now the South Florida star is looking to improve on his sensational sophomore season. Selvie says his goal this year is 20 sacks, which would tie for the second-highest total in Division I-A since the NCAA officially started keeping those records in 2000.

That's an especially lofty goal when you consider that every one of the Bulls' 2008 opponents has probably already drawn up ways to stop him. They certainly did last season when Selvie morphed from a virtual unknown into a sack virtuoso. He had 8.5 sacks in the Bulls' first three games but managed only four in Big East play as teams made sure to throw double-teams his way.

"It was tough on me at first when I started feeling it happening," he said. "But then I realized that it's not just me, it's the whole defense. If I've got a double team, that just means somebody else is coming free."

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said he doesn't mind if other teams occupy themselves with slowing Selvie.

"If they're going to put a couple on George, then Terrell McClain or Aaron Harris or Jarrett Buie from the other side can make plays," Leavitt said, referring to his other starting D-linemen. "George ain't the only guy we got out there on defense."

Selvie's not going to just give in, though. He put on 15 pounds in the offseason to get himself up to 245. Now he has something else to use besides quickness and never-ending hustle.

"Last year, sometimes I'd be going against big guys like [former Pittsburgh tackle Jeff] Otah, and it would be easy for them just to give me a hand slap and I'd go flying outside," he said. "This year, I should be more stout, play the run a little bit better and sustain my ground more."

And as his father taught him, it's never time to quit. Everything can always be done better.

"I know people are going to be coming after me," he said. "But I don't want to set my goals low. I want to aim high."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-0-69/USF-s-sackmaster-Selvie-looks-for-more.html

This guy has destiny.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,802
  • Days Won:  29

I am proud to be sponsoring his locker these past few seasons.

Reminder, if anyone would like to sponsor a locker, contact Eric Socrant. Get a group together, The Bull Backers have recently done it and I BULLieve NormalBULL did also.

You would be helping USF Athletics and be forever a part of this program.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Can anyone tell me who the college DEs quicker than Selvie are?

Archived