• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs. Venezuela National Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Okay... so it's just the under 17 national team.

TAMPA – After giving up a goal in the first half, the No. 18 University of South Florida men’s soccer team came back to tie the U-17 Venezuelan National Team, 1-1, in exhibition action Tuesday night at the USF Soccer Training Ground.

“Obviously we would have liked another day to play the game, but with the hurricane coming in, we had to play tonight,†said Head Coach George Kiefer, “I think we learned a lot more in this game than we would in a training session. I give them (U-17 Venezuela National Team) credit too; they were expecting to play tomorrow as well.â€

Despite being down 1-0 in the first half, the Bulls managed to lead in shots 8-4. Junior Jorge Mora had two shots on goal, one of which was a cross from senior Kevon Neaves, which sailed wide. Junior Zak Boggs ricocheted a shot off the crossbar which was inches from finding the back of the net.

A pass from the corner of the box late in the half gave sophomore Luke Magill a prime scoring opportunity, but the effort sailed high.

Junior Diego Restrepo had two saves in the first half, one which prevented the U-17 National Team from being up by two. Restrepo sprinted to the far right wing to slide kick the ball from going into the goal.

“I was happy with some guys and other guys need to do keep trying to do better,†stated Kiefer. “We are starting to see some good things happen and I am pleased to see where we’re at right now.â€

USF repeatedly pressured the Venezuelan goalkeeper in the second half, and with 10 minutes remaining in the game, Magill put the ball between the keepers’ legs to even the game at one.

“It’s a good feeling to score a goal in preseason, it’s a good way to start the season,†said Magill. “Hopefully, there will many more goals to come.â€

The Bulls took two more shots in the next two minutes, but were unable to push across the go-ahead goal.

A trip to Maryland on Aug. 22 will finalize the exhibition schedule for USF. The regular season begins Aug. 30 when the Bulls host Bowling Green at the newly renovated USF Soccer Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

• Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone know what renovations are being made to the soccer stadium?

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Two lanes of the track are being removed on the inside and the filed is being expanded.  New field surface I believe as well.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Two lanes of the track are being removed on the inside and the filed is being expanded.  New field surface I believe as well.

About time they make the soccor pitch bigger.  I've seen youth games on bigger fields

Archived