• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Freshman QBs get TD passes in scrimmage

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

August 20, 2008

Having his top quarterbacks protected from contact and not allowed to scramble in scrimmages this preseason has reminded offensive coordinator Greg Gregory how key a mobile passer is in USF's offense.

On Wednesday night, as the Bulls ran their final preseason scrimmage, the only touchdowns were from freshman quarterbacks B.J. Daniels and Evan Landi, who are "live" and thus can scramble and take hits.

"You can definitely see how important it is to run the quarterback," Gregory said. "We put B.J. and Evan in, and it was a completely different offense. They're live, and we're able to move the ball. Anyone who thinks we shouldn't be running the quarterback, all they've got to do is come to our scrimmages and they'll find out ... the ball doesn't go very far unless we throw every play. It's just such a dynamic part of our offense when we let them run."

Starter Matt Grothe and top backup Grant Gregory are both equally dangerous running as throwing. Gregory said on designed run plays last year, USF's quarterbacks averaged better than 6 yards per carry.

"They get real frustrated in these scrimmages," Greg Gregory said. "They're real anxious for the season to get here because they get to play as a live person."

Both touchdowns went to walk-on receivers, as Daniels found redshirt freshman Jeffrey "Pookie" Wilson, while Landi connected with former track standout Antwon Hanks.

THIS AND THAT: Defensive line coach John Hendrick, who rejoined the team Sunday for the first time since suffering a heart attack July 1, was not at either of Wednesday's two practices. USF coach Jim Leavitt said his blood pressure had been elevated, and he didn't know if Hendrick would return Thursday. ... Of the seven freshmen held out of practice Tuesday because they haven't been cleared academically, two -- offensive lineman Danous Estenor and linebacker Chase Geaney -- returned to practice Wednesday.

Posted by Greg Auman at 9:52:15 PM on August 20, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (2)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Camp Report: Lively Scrimmage Ends Day 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 08/20/2008

9:30 p.m. The Bulls ended Wednesday with a lively intrasquad scrimmage from 8-9:30 p.m., where the first and second teams played 50 snaps and the third string was dealt nine plays.

Freshman quarterback B.J. Daniels was impressive, connecting with rookie wide receiver Jeffrey Wilson to score the first touchdown of the scrimmage. Later in the scrimmage, senior Justin Teachey put one through the uprights to add three more to the scoreboard. The night ended with a pass from freshman Evan Landi to junior receiver Antwon Hanks.

The defensive units were impressive throughout as both the offensive and defensive groups seemed to enjoy the scrimmage setting. The two units got after each other and enjoyed telling them about it after good plays.

The highlight of the evening though, may have been Coach Leavitt questioning the officiating crew about what down it was after a penalty and some confusion. Even coaches need to practice yelling at the officials to get ready for game day.

GoUSFBulls.com will have video interviews of Coach Leavitt, Coach Burnham and Coach Gregory available shortly.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1565866

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i want bj daniels to get a red shirt....

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

i want bj daniels to get a red shirt....

I want what will give us a Big East Title.  If that includes using BJ then more power to him!

• Content Count:  1,457

August 20, 2008

Having his top quarterbacks protected from contact and not allowed to scramble in scrimmages this preseason has reminded offensive coordinator Greg Gregory how key a mobile passer is in USF's offense.

On Wednesday night, as the Bulls ran their final preseason scrimmage, the only touchdowns were from freshman quarterbacks B.J. Daniels and Evan Landi, who are "live" and thus can scramble and take hits.

"You can definitely see how important it is to run the quarterback," Gregory said. "We put B.J. and Evan in, and it was a completely different offense. They're live, and we're able to move the ball. Anyone who thinks we shouldn't be running the quarterback, all they've got to do is come to our scrimmages and they'll find out ... the ball doesn't go very far unless we throw every play. It's just such a dynamic part of our offense when we let them run."

Starter Matt Grothe and top backup Grant Gregory are both equally dangerous running as throwing. Gregory said on designed run plays last year, USF's quarterbacks averaged better than 6 yards per carry.

"They get real frustrated in these scrimmages," Greg Gregory said. "They're real anxious for the season to get here because they get to play as a live person."

Both touchdowns went to walk-on receivers, as Daniels found redshirt freshman Jeffrey "Pookie" Wilson, while Landi connected with former track standout Antwon Hanks.

THIS AND THAT: Defensive line coach John Hendrick, who rejoined the team Sunday for the first time since suffering a heart attack July 1, was not at either of Wednesday's two practices. USF coach Jim Leavitt said his blood pressure had been elevated, and he didn't know if Hendrick would return Thursday. ... Of the seven freshmen held out of practice Tuesday because they haven't been cleared academically, two -- offensive lineman Danous Estenor and linebacker Chase Geaney -- returned to practice Wednesday.

Posted by Greg Auman at 9:52:15 PM on August 20, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (2)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

BJ should save the year and RED SHIRT.

• Content Count:  98

What if Grothe has the great year everybody predicts and decides to go pro (remote chance, I know)? You have Landi and Daniels (with ZERO game experience) as your top two. Thinking long term, BJ needs to play now.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

What if Grothe has the great year everybody predicts and decides to go pro (remote chance, I know)? You have Landi and Daniels (with ZERO game experience) as your top two. Thinking long term, BJ needs to play now.

There's also the possibility with Grothe running so much he could be seriously injured.  I don't think it'll be terrible to get BJ some playing time.  Our level of recruits is continuing to get better every year.  By the time BJ is in his senior year we'll have a more talented player waiting behind him.

Stop stressing out so much about our QB future. I'm sure we'll be fine.

• Content Count:  508

Although no one was able to see the practice, should we be concerned our #1 offense is unable to do anything?  I mean most teams don't have a QB that is so a part of our running game, so Grothe not being able to run should allow him to highlight his other abilities like passing the ball.  Everyone is saying how deep we are ar WR but why are we not using them?  Are we not as talented as we think?  Is it the plays?  Also, you would think we could run the ball with all of the promise we have at RB.  

I'm just a little concerned about how effective our offense will be.  I certainly hope we don't have another 28-14 win over a bad I-AA team.  We have struggled to start the season every year, this year I want to see us start off hot.  Of course, the coaches could be keeping things close to the vest and not highlighting how well our offense is playing.  Of course we also start every season saying how we think we are just playing a vanilla offense to not tip off the better teams on our schedule.  I believe we were struggling and were not keeping it simple.  Please open it up to start, the last thing I want to see is a struggling offense going to Mickey Mouse land.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Although no one was able to see the practice, should we be concerned our #1 offense is unable to do anything?  I mean most teams don't have a QB that is so a part of our running game, so Grothe not being able to run should allow him to highlight his other abilities like passing the ball.  Everyone is saying how deep we are ar WR but why are we not using them?  Are we not as talented as we think?  Is it the plays?  Also, you would think we could run the ball with all of the promise we have at RB.  

I'm just a little concerned about how effective our offense will be.  I certainly hope we don't have another 28-14 win over a bad I-AA team.  We have struggled to start the season every year, this year I want to see us start off hot.  Of course, the coaches could be keeping things close to the vest and not highlighting how well our offense is playing.  Of course we also start every season saying how we think we are just playing a vanilla offense to not tip off the better teams on our schedule.  I believe we were struggling and were not keeping it simple.  Please open it up to start, the last thing I want to see is a struggling offense going to Mickey Mouse land.

Grothe wont be running a whole lot against TN-Martin either.  No reason to risk the injury.

You also have to remember that the Defense has always carried this team.  This year will be no different.  The only reason the D gave up so many points were the incredible number of turn-overs that put USF in poor field position.  Our D should overwhelm the offense.  Our D-line is much better than our O-line and it's all downhill from there in the scrimmages.

Take away Grothe's run and our offense has nothing.

I'm not worried about the offense this year, and the scrimmages show that our Defense is still going to be dominant.

• Content Count:  919

Quit worrying.  If the offense lit it up, you'de be worried that the D stunk and couldn't stop anyone.  Don't try to read too much into these scrimmages. 

Here's how I see the early season:

Keep it simple versus UT-Martin to get the reps against live opposition, stay healthy and secure the win.

Unleash the power running game on UCF and be done with the gnats for good as we barge into their house, take their women and drink all their beer.

And then send the nation a message against the Jayhawks in front of a national TV audience!

Archived