• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB: Leemow Signs Grant-In-Aid

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We got a new point guard. Welcome aboard.

Leemow Signs Grant-In-Aid 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 08/19/2008

TAMPA – University of South Florida men’s basketball coach Stan Heath announced today a late addition to the 2008-09 class with the signing of point guard Justin Leemow to a Grant-In-Aid.

“We are excited to have Justin join us for the 2008-09 season,†said Heath. “He is a true point guard who will give us added depth in the backcourt.â€

Leemow, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native, spent the past year at Mt. Zion Christian Academy in Durham, N.C. The 6-1 lead guard averaged 13.5 points, 4 assists and 2 steals per game this past season as a member of the post-graduate team. He also split time on the national team at Mt. Zion. Leemow was coached by Brett Wilson and Tony Fozard at Mt. Zion.

Prior to Mt. Zion, he spent two years at The Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C. and two years at Xaverian High School in Brooklyn.

Leemow will join guard Gaby Belardo, forward/center Augustus Gilchrist, forward Eladio Espinosa and junior center Alex Rivas Sanchez as part of the incoming recruiting class. Junior guard Mike Mercer, a transfer from Georgia, will also become eligible in December at the end of the fall semester.

Justin Leemow, Guard

High School: Mt. Zion Christian Academy (N.C.)

Hometown: Brooklyn, N.Y.

6-1, 175

Full name is Justin Jude Leemow... Spent final year of school at Mt. Zion Christian Academy in Durham, N.C.... Attended The Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C. and Xaverian High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. prior to Mt. Zion... Coached by Brett Wilson and Tony Fozard at Mt. Zion... Son of Delia Pollard and Sylvester Leemow... Has two brothers, Jovan and Jobe, and one adopted brother, Stanley Sylvester... Born August 1, 1988... Name is pronounced Lee-Mow (as in now).

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1556570

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

That video is a little underwhelming.  But I will trust in Stan's judgment.  This at least gives us some insurance if heaven forbid Chris were to get hurt again.  Maybe this kid can guard the quicker pgs that we will have to face.  Sure wish McMillan had qualified or Pitts had signed with us.

Normal

• Content Count:  6,928

what is scary is that he was avaliable this late in the signing year.

I also trust in CSH.

Aren't scolies 4, 1 year renewables?

• Content Count:  356

Hope we won't be having a "failed to qualify/change of heart/JuCo route/Playing in Europe" thread on this guy in a few months... ;D 

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

That video is a little underwhelming.  But I will trust in Stan's judgment.  This at least gives us some insurance if heaven forbid Chris were to get hurt again.  Maybe this kid can guard the quicker pgs that we will have to face.  Sure wish McMillan had qualified or Pitts had signed with us.

Normal

big deal if howard gets hurt. when mercer becomes eligible and becomes starter, he will be riding the bench.

season will be a wash anyways. we'll win maybe 12-13 games at the most

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Normal

big deal if howard gets hurt. when mercer becomes eligible and becomes starter, he will be riding the bench.

season will be a wash anyways. we'll win maybe 12-13 games at the most

Howard won't be riding the bench unless he is hurt  ::)

August 19, 2008

Heath adds point guard Leemow to class

After losing three signees to academic problems this summer, USF coach Stan Heath made a late addition to his recruiting class Tuesday, signing point guard Justin Leemow of Brooklyn, N.Y., to a grant-in-aid.

"He's a very competitive kid, and he believes he can play at this level," Heath said. "This late in the year, with school getting ready to start and us needing a little more help, it's a good fit. I know he's going to work hard and develop himself as a player."

Leemow, 6 foot 1 and 175 pounds, played last season at Mount Zion Christian Academy, a prep school in North Carolina. He averaged 13.5 points and four assists per game on the school's post-graduate team. He played two seasons at Xaverian High School in New York, then two more at The Patterson School in North Carolina.

"That's my dream right there, to play in the Big East," said Leemow (rhymes with "see now"), who made a campus visit two weeks ago.

USF found out about Leemow through forward Gus Gilchrist, who played AAU basketball with him with the D.C. Assault. Leemow had talked with small schools like LaSalle, Maryland-Baltimore County and Central Connecticut State, but said he was hoping for something at a major-conference school. He said N.C. State was interested but did not have a scholarship available.

"I just played my cards right and was very blessed to have this work out," Leemow said.

Leemow has played with Big East players before -- he was a teammate of Pittsburgh's Levance Fields and Providence's Brian McKenzie at Xaverian, and played with Seton Hall's Jeremy Hazell at Patterson, along with future Maryland point guard Bobby Maze.

He joins the Bulls after three signees were lost to academic problems, including point guard Dwan McMillan, also from Brooklyn. Leemow said he's confident that he has the academic requirements he'll need to attend and play at USF.

It's not often you see scholarships given out in August to players who have finished four years of high school and a year of prep school. You won't find Leemow on many recruiting lists -- back in '05, Hoopscooponline.com had him ranked as the No. 110 prospect in New York City in his class.

The Bulls have four experienced guards returning in Chris Howard, Dominique Jones, Jesus Verdejo and Mike Mercer, so there's a possibility that one of the true freshman guards, Gaby Belardo or Leemow, could redshirt this season.

Here's a four-minute highlight clip you can check out.

Posted by Greg Auman at 2:39:15 PM on August 19, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (3)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Free Scout article.

Brooklyn PG Signs Grant-In-Aid with USF 

By Larry Weisbaum

USFNation.com

Posted Aug 19, 2008 

The USF men’s basketball team will have another point guard on roster for the upcoming season. Coach Stan Heath announced today that Point guard Justin Leemow from Mt. Zion Christian Academy has signed a Grant-In-Aid with the Bulls. Read on to find out why he chose the Bulls. Only on USFNation.com

Bulls basketball coach Stan Heath announced today that there is a late addition to the 2008-09 class. Point guard Justin Leemow from Mt. Zion Christian Academy has signed a Grant-In-Aid with the Bulls, and will be joining the team immediately.

“We are excited to have Justin join us for the 2008-09 season,†said USF Head Coach Stan Heath. “He is a true point guard who will give us added depth in the backcourt.â€

Leemow spent the past year at Mt. Zion Christian Academy in Durham, N.C. Averaging 13.5 points, 4 assists and 2 steals per game this past season as a member of the post-graduate team. He also split time on the national team at Mt. Zion. Prior to Mt. Zion, he spent two years at The Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C. and two years at Xaverian High School in Brooklyn.

“They got a great coach and a good team,†said Leemow. “Coach is giving me a chance. So I felt that’s the school for me.â€

The Bulls and Leemow have been talking for about a month, and before deciding on the Bulls Leemow had other interests including Cincinnati, La Salle, UCF, Colorado, Houston, among others.

“USF was like a dream school for me,†said Leemow. “I always wanted to play for a school where I could change things around. When you look at the Big East, you see them at the bottom, and when I saw that I thought I could play there and help change things for them.†Leemow also is friends with another Bulls freshman Gus Gilchrest, and that played a big part in his choice.

“Yeah Gus and me played on the same AAU team DC Assault. The chance to play with him again made USF a good place to call home.â€

Leemow was rated as the 110th best junior recruit in New York City by Hoopscooponline.com in 2006, and played in several AAU and summer leagues including the Gauchos and Juice All-stars out of Brooklyn.

While playing for a new AAU team “Raising Champions" at the Real Deal on the Hill, Leemow was named All Second tournament team. Playing for Big Apple Sports, Leemow took MVP honors at the McDonald Memorial Tournament with his seven threes and 30 plus points in May 2007.

“I played with a guy I train with, Big Apple sports isn’t AAU, but has big time games in NYC. I got MVP in that one after my seven threes and like 38 points.â€

Leemow already visited the campus about a week and a half ago. Toured the school, the facilities and left impressed.

“The Campus is sweet, and it’s nice to go somewhere that’s nice, and you got to have a good football team and hopefully we can turn the basketball team around just like that.â€

Leemow is still in New York but will be flying into Tampa tomorrow.

“My mom is coming with me tomorrow, and I’m real excited. And ready to get it started.â€

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/781095.html

• Content Count:  622

“The Campus is sweet, and it’s nice to go somewhere that’s nice, and you got to have a good football team and hopefully we can turn the basketball team around just like that.â€

You are welcome Stan.

Archived