• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ND Rivals Post: Hunches 15 to 1 (Two about USF)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

So one of the writers for Irish Illustrated is posting 100 hunches about the upcoming season.  Today is numbers 15 through 1.

Two of them relate to USF:

8. South Florida wins the Big East—The Bulls have West Virginia's number, even at Morgantown where the two clash on Dec. 6. Quarterback Matt Grothe garners some Heisman Trophy mention as does defensive end George Selvie.

3. National championship scenarios—If it's not Ohio State and USC in the national championship, the next most likely participants are 1) Oklahoma, 2) South Florida, 3) Florida, and 4) Clemson.

This guy thinks USF has a greater chance to play for the national championship than Florida!

Link...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

wow.. quite a bit of respect coming out of South Bend... nice.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

So one of the writers for Irish Illustrated is posting 100 hunches about the upcoming season.  Today is numbers 15 through 1.

Two of them relate to USF:

8. South Florida wins the Big East—The Bulls have West Virginia's number, even at Morgantown where the two clash on Dec. 6. Quarterback Matt Grothe garners some Heisman Trophy mention as does defensive end George Selvie.

3. National championship scenarios—If it's not Ohio State and USC in the national championship, the next most likely participants are 1) Oklahoma, 2) South Florida, 3) Florida, and 4) Clemson.

This guy thinks USF has a greater chance to play for the national championship than Florida!

Link...

Compare our schedules.  I think we've got a better chance at going 12-0 than UF does at going 12-1 or 11-2

• Content Count:  1,524

Sweet. What I am worried about is if we go undefeated, we get passed over by a one loss SEC team which will face a 1 loss OSU or USC. This board would implode on itself. I know I would.

• Content Count:  19,229

Sweet. What I am worried about is if we go undefeated, we get passed over by a one loss SEC team which will face a 1 loss OSU or USC. This board would implode on itself. I know I would.

I hope we are in position to be worried about that scenario come November.

I'm about 95% sure we wouldn't get jumped for the NC by a one loss team if we were 12-0.

If we go 12-0 the only way we're on the outside looking in is if there are also teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or (unfortunately) ACC and Big 10 undefeated.

I think undefeated Clemson would get the nod over USF, but no other team from the ACC. 

It really depends how the season goes, but there's not a very high chance of 3 or more undefeated teams.

agreed

not sure how mad I would be if we finished 12-0 but did not get to the BCS NC..... not even sure that is possible unless there are two more BCS no loss teams. It sure would be a nice situation to face though.

anyway- I have trouble believing we can make it undefeated in general. A lot of breaks have to go our way (injury free, plus side of turnovers, etc) and even then-- it just takes one bad game to fall apart. I would be estatic to see us finish at least 10-2 this year, although that might not be enough to win the BE.

I'm sure it would be as long as one loss is OOC (and we beat WVU).

I'm about 95% sure we wouldn't get jumped for the NC by a one loss team if we were 12-0.

If we go 12-0 the only way we're on the outside looking in is if there are also teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or (unfortunately) ACC and Big 10 undefeated.

I think undefeated Clemson would get the nod over USF, but no other team from the ACC. 

It really depends how the season goes, but there's not a very high chance of 3 or more undefeated teams.

It's actually impossible for two teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or ACC to be undefeated.  In the SEC, Big XII, and ACC, you could see two undefeated division champions play each other in their championship game.  In the PAC 10, each team plays the other nine teams. 

In the Big 10, it would technically be possible.  However, out of the six teams currently ranked or getting votes (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State, Michigan, & Michigan State), the only combination of teams who don't play each other is Illinois v Michigan State (so they would be the only possible combination if you leave off the five lesser teams - Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota).

I think the NC will be two of these four teams:

USC - Ohio State winner

Florida - Georgia winner

USF - WVU winner

Oklahoma or Missouri (would play in Big XII championship)

• Content Count:  1,524

It's actually impossible for two teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or ACC to be undefeated.  In the SEC, Big XII, and ACC, you could see two undefeated division champions play each other in their championship game.  In the PAC 10, each team plays the other nine teams. 

In the Big 10, it would technically be possible.  However, out of the six teams currently ranked or getting votes (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State, Michigan, & Michigan State), the only combination of teams who don't play each other is Illinois v Michigan State (so they would be the only possible combination if you leave off the five lesser teams - Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota).

I think the NC will be two of these four teams:

USC - Ohio State winner

Florida - Georgia winner

USF - WVU winner

Oklahoma or Missouri (would play in Big XII championship)

I agree with you Jim on two of those four teams. I'd be willing to bet that one of them is the UF-UGA winner. If we can run the table and things go are way, we could be playing one of those teams for the NC.

• Content Count:  9,038

wow man...the NC...I would be happy to just go 10-2 and get a BCS bowl!

Archived