• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Washington Post: No. 13 South Florida

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,561
  • Days Won:  13

No. 13 South Florida

The Basics

2007 record

9-4, 4-3 Big East (lost to Oregon, 56-21, in the Sun Bowl)

Returning Starters

10 offense, 6 defense

Key Game

vs. Kansas, Sept. 12

Player to Watch

George Selvie, junior defensive end

Selvie had 14.5 sacks last season on his way to the Big East defensive player of the year award. At 6 feet 4 and 245 pounds, Selvie is a speed rusher around the edge. He became the first consensus all-American in South Florida history.

Why They're Worth Watching

Coach Jim Leavitt has raised the program from its infancy to a Big East contender, rising as high as No. 2 in the national polls last season after topping Auburn and West Virginia. Like other Florida schools, the Bulls are a team primarily composed of homegrown talent. Their rise has been aided by dual-threat quarterback Matt Grothe, a junior who passed for 14 touchdowns and ran for 10 more. Combined with sophomore running back Mike Ford and senior running back Benjamin Williams, an offense that returns 10 starters will look to build on a season in which it averaged 34.7 points per game. Watch out for 6-4 sophomore wide receiver Carlton Mitchell, who emerged late last season to lead the team in receiving. The speed will be apparent on defense, too, where Selvie excels and junior college transfer Kion Wilson is expected to make a push at middle linebacker if he effectively returns from an injury suffered in the spring.

Why They're Vulnerable

The Bulls must replace cornerbacks Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, who were selected in April's NFL draft. Williams recorded six interceptions last season -- and returned three for touchdowns -- and Jenkins was a first-round pick whom opposing quarterbacks rarely challenged. Now, the Bulls will count on junior Jerome Murphy and senior Tyller Roberts. A team that relies on man coverage needs its defensive backs to contain opposing receivers long enough to allow Selvie to penetrate the pocket. Although South Florida has the benefit of elite free safety Nate Allen, how Leavitt replaces Jenkins and Williams might dictate the team's success. USF has restocked at linebacker, but the since departed Ben Moffitt was the pulse of its defense last season. Offensively, the freewheeling style that makes Grothe successful also makes him vulnerable. He threw 14 interceptions last season and only completed 59.2 percent of his passes.

Link...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

accurate!

• Content Count:  66,110
  • Days Won:  172

most here hate washington post

where did board's favorite paper(washinton times) pick bulls ot finish

• Content Count:  6,759
  • Days Won:  19

My dad worked for the Post for over 35 years... and now, they are screwing him on his retirement (paying him pennies on the dollar). Thank God for the union's retirement to back him up. I walked in a picket line in 1976 with my dad when the union workers for the Post went on strike (he actually carried my 1-year old self and a sign). My older brother told me stories of how we went to our local catholic church for food during the strike. The strike was like 8-months long.

I loved reading the Post growing up... my dad would have busted my a$$ growing up though if I ever brought the Times into my house (non-union paper). The same lady who owned the Post also owned Newsweek and some other publications (Catherine Graham). Now, her crooked a$$ son runs the joint since she passed away. My dad never had a bad thing to say about Mrs. Graham... and he's never had a good thing to say about Donald Graham.

Good pre-season pick by the Post. Can't wait until they have us at #1 at the end of the season.

• Content Count:  21,474
  • Days Won:  10

Started reading the Post when I was a kid after the Washington Star went out of business.  Post is my paper. I also delivered the Washington Post as a kid every morning at 5:30 AM.

Archived