Halfway through Camp - 2 weeks to Kickoff!

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,912
  • Days Won:  494

NBICUKSPGQPQNNQ.20080809183714.gif

Courtesy GoUSFBulls.com

The Bulls were sharp in their afternoon practice on Wednesday.

"I was happy with this afternoon's practice," said head coach Jim Leavitt. "I was not so happy with this morning.  We have to find a way to get going in the mornings."

"We are a good team right now, but good teams get beat.  There are too many good teams out there.  We need to be great."

• Coach Leavitt has been steadfast in his belief that George Selvie would have been a top notch BIG EAST center, which is the position he was recruited to play.

So when Selvie was goofing off after practice and snapping the ball to an equipment manager, Leavitt commented, "Look at this, we have George back at center."

Selvie hollered back, "I still got it coach."

And of course, steadfast Jim replied, "I never would have moved you."

• Selvie is starting to get praise for his leadership abilities from coaches and teammates alike. A small sign on Wednesday was Selvie staying after to bring water to his fellow defensive lineman, who had to do extra conditioning.  Selvie even hauled the water bucket out to the 30-yard line for his teammates.

• True freshman DL Cory Grissom has impressed the coaching staff during camp, but what may be more impressive is the smile on his face in the waning moments of practice.  In the middle of sprints and while other d-lineman were grasping for air, Grissom is standing up straight with an ear-to-ear smile.  The smile staying planted on his face, while he raced the final 30 yards and headed for the gate. It is clear the youngster just loves to play football.

Nerves and energy are running short as the Bulls have entered the dog days of training camp.

Coach Leavitt said during the opening week that camp doesn’t really begin until the second week of two-a-days.  If that is the case, you can tell that the team is feeling the wear of 12 practices over 10 days.

Camp is as much about physical conditioning, as it is mental conditioning.  So the coaches keep the intensity high and the players begin to build the makeup that will help them pull through in the fourth quarter.  While there is not an official team motto this season, the 2007 credo of ‘Finish Strong’ is being earned on the practice fields right now and throughout the training camp.

• Defensive ends coach Kevin Patrick and departed assistant coach Dan McCarney have at laest one thing in common... intensity. Both coaches rival Coach Leavitt in that department.

For instance, during stretching each day, Patrick paces and talks constanly for five minutes. He offers up motivation, advice and a few verbal jabs to the defensive line.  During individual work, not one player completes a drill without a comment, postitive or negative from the former college All-American. 

So on Wednesday when he reminded his unit that, "We'll do this drill all day long," he meant it.  And he was up for the constant effort it would take.

• In partnership with the latest USF radio affiliate - Super Q 1300 A.M. WQBN – “La Clásica de la Bahía” - Delbert Alvarado has signed on to do a weekly journal in Spanish this season.  The kicker/punter will talk about the team, life as student-athlete and probably promote his budding rap career as well. Stay tuned next week, when we hope to unveil the first edition.

• True freshman Danous Estenor has moved from defensive tackle to the offensive line, where he was splitting time at right tackle with Jacob Sims this morning.

• We have received quite a few inquiries at GoUSFBulls.com about when season tickets were being mailed.  Fans can expect to receive their season ticket packages at their mailing address this week.

NBICUKSPGQPQNNQ.20080809183714.gif

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I love seeing this

"We are a good team right now, but good teams get beat.  There are too many good teams out there.  We need to be great."

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  573
  • Days Won:  0

I love seeing this

Says a lot about his expectation for the season.  Undefeated?

Archived