• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another player wants to play both football and basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Alex Williams also from Tally. His older brother is Boo Williams who played football at Arkansas.

He's considered somewhat of a sleeper in football because he's only been playing it for a year, but has made a good showing at camps recently.

He was all-state in basketball. 

http://usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=81159&sport=1

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Sounds good. It might be three years before he would be able to get to playing weight. We are talking adding about 40 pounds or so in order for him to be effective at DE, unless we are looking at him at another position (TE or WR)?

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

If he can become an Antonio Gates type TE then he sounds great (obviously).  199 for a DE is crazy though.

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

No way that kid can play DE at a D1 level at 200 lbs. Thats 20-30 lbs. too light to even play LB. He has WR written all over him. Anyone know what he runs the 40 in?

No way that kid can play DE at a D1 level at 200 lbs. Thats 20-30 lbs. too light to even play LB. He has WR written all over him. Anyone know what he runs the 40 in?

I've also seen him listed as 6'5 207 on Scout:

Biography:

Williams made all-state as a junior in both football and basketball. Last season he recorded 19 sacks in football and 19 points and 12 rebounds in hoops.

http://memphis.scout.com/a.z?s=350&p=8&c=1&nid=3702942

I think he ran a 4.57 at the Nike camp in April:

The sleeper of the defensive line group may be Alex Williams of FAMU High School. Only a year into his football career, Williams has 19 sacks and one official offer from Iowa. There is no doubt that the basketball star has the length and athleticism to surface as an elite recruit and Gainesville will be the perfect stage for that emergence. 

http://flavarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=957&CID=796583

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Question - if you redshirt in Football can you still play basketball or do you redshirt in that too?

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

The way the rules stand right now, you have 5 years to play 4. The eligibility clock begins once you enroll. If he chooses to play the basketball as a true freshman, he would still have 3 years of eligibility left for b-ball. If he redshirted for football, he would still have 4 years left. So, to answer your question, yes, he can still play b-ball if he redshirts.

• 1 month later...

THE RECRUITING GUY : UA interested in younger brother of former Hog

By RICHARD DAVENPORT

Published: Friday, August 22, 2008 PRINT E-MAIL

Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino recruited the Florida panhandle heavily while at Louisville, and he is back in that the area looking for more talent for the Razorbacks.

One prospect the Razorbacks have their eye on is Tallahassee athlete Alex Williams, the younger brother of former Razorback receiver Eddie “Boo†Williams, who played for Arkansas during the 1999 and 2000 seasons.

Alex Williams, 6-5, 210, 4. 5 speed in the 40-yard dash, has approximately nine scholarship offers, including offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, Iowa, South Florida, East Carolina and Arkansas State. He’s also drawing interest from Michigan, Indiana, Iowa State and Kentucky, among others.

“My brother played at Arkansas. He told me it was a great environment,†Williams said. “He told me if he would’ve gone anywhere else, it wouldn’t have fit his personality and, knowing him, we’re a lot alike.†Williams said even though his older brother enjoyed his experience at Arkansas, he isn’t trying to sway his brother.

“He doesn’t try to get involved with my decision-making,†Alex Williams said. “He told me that he saw so many people who made the wrong decision because of people telling them what to do. He told me he would tell me how he felt when I did make a decision, but he was going to let me decide.†Williams played defensive end for Florida A&M Developmental Research School last season and recorded 19 sacks in his first year of varsity football.

He said he has been inundated with letters from schools on a daily basis, and he received seven pieces of mail Tuesday, two of which were from Arkansas.

Williams also plays basketball — he averaged 19 points and 13 rebounds last season — and said he hopes to play both sports in college.

“I always said I wanted to play basketball,†Williams said. “Last year I played football and it turned out being successful. I don’t want to give up basketball, because that’s my first love.†Williams is being recruited as a receiver, a defensive end and an outside linebacker. He said he would prefer to play receiver in college, but he is willing to play wherever the coaches want him to play.

“He’s coming into his own as a football player,†said Ira Reynolds, his coach Florida A&M Developmental. “He’s a deadly weapon at tight end because he can outrun linebackers. He’s an explosive player at the defensive end position. He gambles at end, but that’s OK because he can recover.†Williams said he is improving on his a 2. 7 grade-point average and plans to major in business. He hopes to one day open a chain of barber shops. “I like cutting hair,†Williams said. “I like the atmosphere in barber shops; you can go in and talk about anything.†Williams said he is far from making a decision on where he will attend college. “I think a lot of people are waiting to see how I’m going to perform the first couple of games, to see if I’m legit,†he said “My motto is everyone that offers me a scholarship and a free education, I’ll look at them.â€

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/234987

Archived