• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pitt to Big Ten?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=823826

Even in the Big Ten, where change seems as welcome as college football playoff discussions, expansion is a possibility.

The 11-team conference once invited Notre Dame to join, and from time to time, rumors have surfaced that Missouri, Rutgers and Texas were possible candidates. Eventually, another school surely will be mentioned.

Question: Given the recent TV contract extension between NBC and Notre Dame, I don't see the Irish wanting to join the Big Ten anytime soon. With the Big East constantly changing teams, what are your thoughts on Pitt joining the Big Ten? A league consisting of Penn State, Pitt, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue and Indiana would provide some great regional matchups.

Answer: Although I don't know that Pittsburgh officials have any thoughts about leaving the Big East, a move to the Big Ten certainly makes geographical sense. The Big Ten has two teams in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan, so why not two in Pennsylvania?

Of course, that would create an Eastern-heavy divisional format. The West obviously would include Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois and probably Purdue. That would leave the East with Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Indiana. Just the prospect of playing in that division might be enough to keep Pitt from making this hypothetical move.

• Content Count:  260

Pitt has the academic profile to be a good fit in the B10 (which is an important aspect of inclusion in this conference - all members belong to the prestigious AAU), and the geographic profile as well. However, I think as long as Paterno is at PSU, there will be no overtures from the conference to Pitt and PSU would be unsupportive of their membership (Pitt was instrumental in killing Paternos push to form an all sports conference in the northeast back in the 80's).  But if things change and the B10 determined it needed to go to 12 teams. and they are not successful in finally wooing ND into the pack, I would not be surprised to see Pitt get serious consideration.

Missouri makes more sense, though (also an AAU member).  You would get better east-west balance... and there has been previous talk of Missouri moving to the Big Ten.

When that happens, Arkansas joins the big 12 - rejoining most of their Southwest Conference rivals.

Then we have a slot on the SEC west... Vanderbilt moves from East to West, leaving a spot in the East -- for South Florida??

That would make life a lot more interesting.

• Content Count:  5,241

Dont hold your breath. It aint happenin

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I do not see Arkansas or anyone else leaving the SEC.  The SEC is the most stable conference with the most money.  Why give that up for the not-as-wealthy Big 12?

• Content Count:  12,293

people talk about conference shifting like its a regular occurance.  other then the last 4 years with the ACC/Big East, C-USA/WAC/SunBelt/A10...

when was the last time there was major conference shifting?  When FSU joined the ACC?  i think we have gotten so use to teams changing conferences that we are searching for more of it.

granted, the big 10 really does want a conference championship game (and they need one since with 11 teams they dont play everyone in their conference every year)

but i doubt we see any major changes for a few more years

• Content Count:  6,928

Missouri makes more sense, though (also an AAU member).  You would get better east-west balance... and there has been previous talk of Missouri moving to the Big Ten.

When that happens, Arkansas joins the big 12 - rejoining most of their Southwest Conference rivals.

Then we have a slot on the SEC west... Vanderbilt moves from East to West, leaving a spot in the East -- for South Florida??

That would make life a lot more interesting.

Intresting for us......

Not sure it would be that interesting for the SEC.

Besides the Gayturds would VETO another Florida school.....

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Pitt has the academic profile to be a good fit in the B10 (which is an important aspect of inclusion in this conference - all members belong to the prestigious AAU), and the geographic profile as well. However, I think as long as Paterno is at PSU, there will be no overtures from the conference to Pitt and PSU would be unsupportive of their membership (Pitt was instrumental in killing Paternos push to form an all sports conference in the northeast back in the 80's).  But if things change and the B10 determined it needed to go to 12 teams. and they are not successful in finally wooing ND into the pack, I would not be surprised to see Pitt get serious consideration.

'

are u kidding?

what is AAU?  cant be that prestigious.  i never heard of it

is usf a aau member?

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

people talk about conference shifting like its a regular occurance.  other then the last 4 years with the ACC/Big East, C-USA/WAC/SunBelt/A10...

when was the last time there was major conference shifting?  When FSU joined the ACC?  i think we have gotten so use to teams changing conferences that we are searching for more of it.

granted, the big 10 really does want a conference championship game (and they need one since with 11 teams they dont play everyone in their conference every year)

but i doubt we see any major changes for a few more years

a conference full of geniuses it seems

11 teams yet they still go by big 10.  how friggin stupid

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

'

are u kidding?

what is AAU?   cant be that prestigious.  i never heard of it

is usf a aau member?

The AAU is not prestigious at all.   ::)

Here is a list of AAU schools.  http://www.aau.edu/aau/members.html

Archived