How can you not like what Coach Heath is doing so far?

Dmince

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  0

After losing first three he gets buy in from the team and wins 4 straight (and counting).

Wins over the in-state schools are huge for recruiting purposes, especially after FSU beat UF. Ill be glad to see us beat UCF tonight.

There already is a definite improvement in the program from coaching, culture, to style of play. By the end of next season I predict our program will be light years ahead of where it was last year.

Kudos to admin for getting such a top notch coach.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I love Coach Heath thus far too, but MAC was 6-1 at this point last season.  Let's temper the hero worship (and the expectations) until we see how this team does in the meat of the schedule. 

I agree that Heath is an upgrade over MAC... don't get me wrong!  But let's not forget MAC went 7-1 before things started going south in 2006... so let's all just take a chill pill before we set expectations for ourselves that bring out the doom sayers once we lose two in a row.

Just being a realist.  Feel free to flame away.

• Content Count:  695

Win over FSU was nice but we're still struggling, 2-3 against bad teams a win over FSU doesn't just magically change that. We should be 6-0 right now.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Amen Eats it,

I am happy with Heath thus far... but the results are not better than last year at this point.  Relax and lets see how things unfold.

If we end up going 12-18 or whatever we ended up last year... so be it.  I hope not, but as long as the team is playing hard and learning... we have to accept that a rebuilding year COULD end up with a pretty bad record.  If it ends up with something much better, then it is a bonus, and then we can get our expectations up next year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

I can chalk the first few stumbles up to getting to knowhis team and missing Gransberry for game 1

What I see is a coach who is pretty honest in his assessment of the team. He has said that he is still working on how to match up personel on the floor and to get the most of his players. While I am not saying this process is close to done-- it sure looks like he has a real handle on what his guys can do and his game adjustments continue to get better.

I don't know that you can compare last year to this year so easily either-- different opponents and some more familiarity with the team helped CRM out there. But CSH is getting this team to work well together.

And he'll have some more talent to work with in a month when we get Holmes into the lineup. More personel adjustments needed there probably. I can;'t say we are going to wow the Big East because our talent level is not quite there- but it is encouraging so far.

• Content Count:  401

A new coach who loses the first three games can easily, and often does, say "these are not my players" and make excuses the rest of the way.

Heath respects  the commitment the players made to USF, not jus mac and has embraced them and got their buy in

We are playing a much better brand of basketbal right now. To build a program you have to take care of your business in-state first, which we haven't done in years past. Do you realize what a huge setback it was to lose to FIU and Bethune Cookman?

We're blowing out FIU now, an inferior state team we should never have lost to. We're not afraid to play UCF and will whip them. We beat FSU, who beat UF. Now Heath can use his recruiting prowess to make an argument to any top recruit who wants to stay in state.

I do not even understand the logic in comparing Heath to Mcullum or this season to last.

Mcullum is an average coach mid-major coach at best who was our 9th option after we were turned down by everyone and their mom. He never made a NCAA's as an HC. Does he even have a job now? Don't answer I don't even care.

Heath has made the NCAA's at two different programs as an HC. The recruits he left at Arkansas have them in the top 25. He is younger and more charismatic. He was our first choice, he is a stud. Why even compare the two?

During the last coach's tenure we were no where near close to a competitive C-USA or BE caliber team. He left our program so ass-backwards that  we are basically starting from scratch. We need Heath to be to basketball what Leavitt was to football. I think he can do that.

I love the players he is recruiting, what he says, the staff he has hired, and the way the team is playing. If you understand college basketball and the dynamics of building a program you understand that there is a huge difference between where our program was and where it is heading now.

• Content Count:  1,911

Dmince, why are you still harping on the old coach? Live in the present.

At the end of the day, no Big East team should lose to the likes of Cleveland State, Buffalo, or Rhode Island. Heath has work to do and a 4-3 start does not show great progress, but I'm not going to judge him on his first 7 games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

A new coach who loses the first three games can easily, and often does, say "these are not my players" and make excuses the rest of the way.

Heath respects  the commitment the players made to USF, not jus mac and has embraced them and got their buy in

We are playing a much better brand of basketbal right now. To build a program you have to take care of your business in-state first, which we haven't done in years past. Do you realize what a huge setback it was to lose to FIU and Bethune Cookman?

We're blowing out FIU now, an inferior state team we should never have lost to. We're not afraid to play UCF and will whip them. We beat FSU, who beat UF. Now Heath can use his recruiting prowess to make an argument to any top recruit who wants to stay in state.

I do not even understand the logic in comparing Heath to Mcullum or this season to last.

Mcullum is an average coach mid-major coach at best who was our 9th option after we were turned down by everyone and their mom. He never made a NCAA's as an HC. Does he even have a job now? Don't answer I don't even care.

Heath has made the NCAA's at two different programs as an HC. The recruits he left at Arkansas have them in the top 25. He is younger and more charismatic. He was our first choice, he is a stud. Why even compare the two?

During the last coach's tenure we were no where near close to a competitive C-USA or BE caliber team. He left our program so ass-backwards that  we are basically starting from scratch. We need Heath to be to basketball what Leavitt was to football. I think he can do that.

I love the players he is recruiting, what he says, the staff he has hired, and the way the team is playing. If you understand college basketball and the dynamics of building a program you understand that there is a huge difference between where our program was and where it is heading now.

There are many inaccuracies up there but no sense to belabor them .... Bottom line, Heath is a huge upgrade over Mac but this program was in a helluvalot better position when CSH took over than it was when McCullum took over. We've had a rough start but I'm confident that Heath will get this program up and competitive in the BE ..... Just a matter of when.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I really think we'll be able to see the fruits of CSH's labor blossom in about three years. Be patient, Bulls Fans. I like the fact that we're playing a more up-tempo offense.

Archived