• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting Article on Michigan job

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

College football soup: Carr's as good as gone

September 11, 2007

Tom Dienhart

OK, the handwriting is on the wall: Michigan's Lloyd Carr is as good as gone following this season.

He won't be fired during the year. That's just not the M.O. at Michigan.

"No way, I'd be shocked if that happened," says Neil Cornrich, a big-time agent for many BCS coaches.

But expect phones to start ringing -- if they haven't already -- in the offices of ADs and agents.

Look for Michigan to shoot for a big name at first. Of course, everyone connects the dots between LSU's Les Miles and Ann Arbor. But even if Michigan got him, Miles likely may not be available until mid-January if the Tigers make a run to the BCS title game as expected.

(As a sider: A distraction like this is the last thing Miles needs in the midst of his season of glory, a season in which he's trying to prove that he can win big.)

Word is: Miles would jump -- maybe even sprint -- at the chance to head north. If Miles left, look for Tiger defensive coordinator Bo Pelini to get a long look to take over. Promoting him would be a smart move and make sense.

Another guy who would get a long look is Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, if he can rehab FSU's attack.

I don't know if the Michigan job is better than the LSU gig. In fact, I think I'd rather have the LSU post because of the proximity of talent surrounding the school. Everything else about the schools appears to be a wash -- facilities, fan passion, money, etc.

But some coaches I spoke with feel it's easier to win at Michigan. As much as Big Ten fans hate it, facts are facts: The SEC is better almost every year, making it more difficult to succeed. Last year was a great example.

Florida barely made it out of the SEC, while Ohio State dominated the Big Ten. You know what happened in the BCS title game.

So, if not Miles, then whom? Here are some names I have heard in addition to Miles. Remember: It's early. I'll continue to talk to agents, coaches and ADs all fall.

Kansas State coach Ron Prince. Yeah, he's still a work-in-progress, but he has done well in his short time in Manhattan. Plus, he's a no-nonsense guy who cut his teeth at an academic school (Virginia). And hiring an African-American would be a great move for a college football power. Prince played at Appalachian State, which is an interesting note.

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema. He's young -- and he's good. But is he proven enough? And would Michigan hire a guy from another Big Ten school?

Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac. A Michigan man -- a middle guard for Bo from 1977-80 -- who has built some nasty defenses in the NFL. And, hey, we all know Big Blue's defense needs help. This is Trgovac's 13th NFL season and sixth in Carolina. He hasn't coached in college since a stint at Notre Dame from 1992-94 under Lou Holtz. Trgovac also worked at Michigan from 1984-85, in addition to Ball State, Navy and Colorado State.

[glow=red,2,300]South Florida coach Jim Leavitt. He's perhaps the best coach no one knows about. Leavitt could have had the Alabama job a few years ago and turned it down. [/glow]

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=271694

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I can't see CJL being interested in the Michigan job.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Agree wholeheartedly!  Besides, I can't see him wanting to go to the sub-zero tundra of Michigan when he has the sunshine and warmth of Florida.

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Two guys I think would be top prospects are Gary Patterson at TCU, he does more with less every year and The new coach at Cincinnati, Kelly. 

The new coach at Cincinnati, Kelly. 

Oh, that would suck.  They lose one to Michigan State and the next one to Michigan.  :-\

• Content Count:  1,981

I'm worried, he did say it would take over a billion dollars to get him out of here.

Yeah, but Michigan?

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Pathetic.  The media speculating on the UM job in the second week of September is not fair to:

1.  Lloyd Carr (who won a ring for UM BTW);

2.  Les Miles (and any other coach who has to answer questions on this subject as Miles did in this weeks press conference); and mainly

3.  UM's and LSU's players who have as many as 12 GAMES LEFT TO PLAY THIS YEAR.

Shameful.

I agree completely.  Especially to Les Miles and LSU.  The UM players know he's gone after the season.

• Content Count:  4,642

there must be lots of funding in the michigan press arena to start this crap this early.

STAY AWAY FROM OUR COACH!!!!

Archived