• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another tall, fast WR....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

but can this one actually catch??

Jason Sherman committed this weekend to USF, having previously given a verbal to Cincy.  Listed at 6'4" and 4.4 by rivals

just have our QB learn to throw a REALLY good fade route and he will be set

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132

How about just teaching the QB to throw the ball within their reach.

I have seen lots of debates about the catcing ability of the WR's but I think we have as good a set of WR's as many of the top programs. The only issue I can see other then the playcalling is the ability for a QB to provide a catchable ball. Many WR's have been open and the QB over/under threw them all year. The few drops get magnified because of the very few chances they have to catch the ball. I have seen many drops by the top WR's across the country but they get 6-8 chances a game to make up for the drops. USF WR's get 2-3 (1 will be a bad throw, so really 1-2) and that is why they look as bad as they do at times.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

good WR's make the QB look good (granted that takes a lot in this situation), but our WR crew has not been doing PJ ANY favors.  They drop A LOT of balls.  And USF WR group is not on par with the top programs... just because a guy is tall and somewhat quick, does not make him a good WR

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree, we were up there in dropped passes this season.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132

You can talk about dropped passes all you want but the WR's did not have many opps to succeed. USF had 1 game where they completed over 20 passes but they also had multiple games where they ATTEMPTED less then 20 passes. Not sure how many were drops but again not many chances to make up for the 1 or 2 drops they may have had thus magnifying the drops. The passing stats are terrible no matter how you look at them and brings question marks greatly beyond the WR's hands. Chambers and JP were highy recruited and should be used more often, Hill looks good, and some of the new recruits look good on paper but none of it will matter if the QB play and OC play calling does not get 100% better.

I know most on this board like to pick on SMAZZA but I think a lot of his rants are dead on regarding the QB and OC (they  are pretty easy targets) but as fans we should start expecting more from this team. The timeline for success has to be condensed now that we are in a BCS conference and that is why the coaching staff becomes more important then ever. IMO there continues to be reservations about how good a staff we have in place.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

1-A receivers should not "drop" the ball.  Fail to make a great catch, maybe.  Make great catches sometimes, yes.  Drop balls, no.  There is no defense for dropping passes.  Receivers should always be in position to succeed if they are thrown the ball and are open.  

Am I defending Julmiste?  No.  He's terribly inaccurate except for short slants.  A lot of those were dropped.  

No excuses, both need major improvement.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

the more the merrier

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

our qb is no good

the oc is no good

the play calling is no good

the wr coach is no good

it is hard to fault wrs in light of above

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know the QB play wasn't great last season, but we did have problems with receiving.